New NBN Connection- Cable Location Question

Compass

Hi,

Have just recieved notification that FTTC will be running down our street and should be done by the end of the year.

Currently we have Optus Cable via an overhead line, connected to our own pole in the front yard then it goes underground and comes up under the house, which has been great.

The house was reno'd back in late 2011 and I'm pretty sure the old Telstra cable that ran to the pit, that sits in between my drive and the neighbours, was destroyed/broken when a new drive went in with the reno. That cable was never replaced.

Who at NBN Co would I need to contact to find out what the plan is to get cable from said pit to under the house? Or are there other options?

Regards

Guest rmpfyf

Just ring them direct - you're right, they'll use the Telstra cable. 

When it's in and good you'll be able to ring Optus to have the old cable removed if you like.

I’m very sure that from the pit to the premises for copper it’s the owner of that premises cost to ensure you are connected.    I’ve had to build 2 properties and both I had to pay an accredited contractor to connect the premises to the pit at my cost.  Of memory it cost $250-300 now that’s over 10yrs ago.  Both premises  are in a non Optus area and are underground.

However, because nbn co is not far away,  wait till they come around as they are responsible to have the connection up to the 1st point of the premises.    @ThirdDrawerDown Is in such a position as he has Optus cable on the pole next to the Telstra wires.

There's a whole bunch of steps and protocols that apply when a connection between the dwelling and the FTTC is non-existent/ not fit for purpose. I used an electrician to clean up the phone connection locations before the NBN technician arrived and to some extent I wasted my money. Optusnet sold the network to NBN without 100% inspecting their own assets, and part of the deal is that NBN require Optusnet to make sure their assets are fit for use, sometimes this only gets sorted at the point of each install.

Similar with Telstra - so phone the NBN and wait for their technical assessment. Then it's their advice to you and to the telco. Proceed once NBN has decided who is owner of the problem, but don't jump that gun.

5 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

There's a whole bunch of steps and protocols that apply when a connection between the dwelling and the FTTC is non-existent/ not fit for purpose. I used an electrician to clean up the phone connection locations before the NBN technician arrived and to some extent I wasted my money. Optusnet sold the network to NBN without 100% inspecting their own assets, and part of the deal is that NBN require Optusnet to make sure their assets are fit for use, sometimes this only gets sorted at the point of each install.

Similar with Telstra - so phone the NBN and wait for their technical assessment. Then it's their advice to you and to the telco. Proceed once NBN has decided who is owner of the problem, but don't jump that gun.

@ThirdDrawerDown thanks Ive lodged an enquiry, upto 5 business days for a response, won't hold my breath

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Compass said:

@ThirdDrawerDown thanks Ive lodged an enquiry, upto 5 business days for a response, won't hold my breath

Even if you get a written response, Don’t do anything until the nbn starts rolling and digging around,  as pointed out the infrastructure may not be fit for purpose and it that’s the case you may not need to do anything.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Even if you get a written response, Don’t do anything until the nbn starts rolling and digging around,  as pointed out the infrastructure may not be fit for purpose and it that’s the case you may not need to do anything.

@Addicted to music  thanks will do

On 09/08/2019 at 3:12 PM, Compass said:

Who at NBN Co would I need to contact to find out what the plan is to get cable from said pit to under the house? Or are there other options?

An installer subcontracted by NBNCo (arranged by your ISP, once your area is ready for service) will attend and survey the site.    He will then discuss the options with you.

If you're unhappy with what the installer suggests .... then your ISP can help you know your rights (and the rules), and deal with NBNCo.     Some installers either do not understand the rules (and your entitlements), or want to cut corners.

All that being said, you should be fine.   It's not an uncommon situation.

12 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I’m very sure that from the pit to the premises for copper it’s the owner of that premises cost to ensure you are connected.    I’ve had to build 2 properties and both I had to pay an accredited contractor to connect the premises to the pit at my cost.

No.   That is only the case when you are building a new dwelling.

For an existing dwelling, the pit to dwelling link is owned by NBN Co .... and if it is damaged or missing, it is their responsibility to restore.

10 hours ago, Compass said:

.the cable and conduit its in were both pretty well destroyed so Im not sure how they will get a new cable upto the house as they wont be able to pull anything through....mmmm. 

They will figure it out.

Calling NBN co directly is unlikely to help.  They will need to send someone .... who will need to be arranged by an ISP .... which can't happen until your areas is ready for service.

So when it's go time, call an ISP and ask to connect.   :)

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Thanks 1

Update, Yesterday a new pit went in, so I asked the guys doing it if they could pull on the cable they thought went into my place whilst I crawled under the house to see if it moved, nada.  They said wait till they come to connect the cables, righto.   Then today I had a phone call from NBN Co and a subsequent email to 'back up' the call, below is what they said and sent, obviously they weren't listening today when I said this is not a new house. Will wait and see what the 'installer' says, hopefully Im here when they are outside.

Thank you for your enquiry to nbn. The reference number for your enquiry is ...............

As per our phone conversation, the lead in conduit is responsibility of the home owner, we would recommend you wait for the roll-out to complete in your area just in-case there is already provisions that may have been overlooked for nbn services. 

Below is a link providing this information on our website. 

https://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/new-developments/design-build-install/lead-in-conduit

If you require further information, please reply to this email and a consultant will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,

1 hour ago, Compass said:

Update, Yesterday a new pit went in, so I asked the guys doing it if they could pull on the cable they thought went into my place whilst I crawled under the house to see if it moved, nada.  They said wait till they come to connect the cables, righto.   Then today I had a phone call from NBN Co and a subsequent email to 'back up' the call, below is what they said and sent, obviously they weren't listening today when I said this is not a new house. Will wait and see what the 'installer' says, hopefully Im here when they are outside.

Thank you for your enquiry to nbn. The reference number for your enquiry is ...............

As per our phone conversation, the lead in conduit is responsibility of the home owner, we would recommend you wait for the roll-out to complete in your area just in-case there is already provisions that may have been overlooked for nbn services. 

Below is a link providing this information on our website. 

https://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/new-developments/design-build-install/lead-in-conduit

If you require further information, please reply to this email and a consultant will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,

As per previous post about building a new places: 

On 10/08/2019 at 9:10 AM, Addicted to music said:

I’m very sure that from the pit to the premises for copper it’s the owner of that premises cost to ensure you are connected.    I’ve had to build 2 properties and both I had to pay an accredited contractor to connect the premises to the pit at my cost.  Of memory it cost $250-300 now that’s over 10yrs ago.  Both premises  are in a non Optus area and are underground.

And according to the nbn this is the case, known as Lead in conduit that I paid for, it’s the same for all utilities.  That link sets it straight that the lead in conduit to the premises is the responsibility of the owner.  And that goes with all utilities such as water, gas and electricity, and in this case telecommunication, have any issues on your side of the boundary and you are up for the costs for all maintenance. 

This is what you need to do, at the present time, do nothing until it’s all rolled out and completed and then get advised as to what’s needed.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/preparing-your-property-checklist.pdf

Edited by Addicted to music
21 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

And according to the nbn this is the case, known as Lead in conduit that I paid for, it’s the same for all utilities.  That link sets it straight that the lead in conduit to the premises is the responsibility of the owner.  And that goes with all utilities such as water, gas and electricity, and in this case telecommunication, have any issues on your side of the boundary and you are up for the costs for all maintenance. 

This is what you need to do, at the present time, do nothing until it’s all rolled out and completed and then get advised as to what’s needed.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/preparing-your-property-checklist.pdf

This is not a new house/build though, anyway will just have to wait and see

17 minutes ago, Compass said:

This is not a new house/build though, anyway will just have to wait and see

It doesn’t matter,  if the connection issue is physical hardware and it lies on your side of the boundary you are up for the cost to have that maintained.    It’s the same for water supply to the house or a gas connection or a power issue.   If there’s a water or gas leak on your side of the boundary, you need to call a registered plumber to have it fixed at your cost.   When you contact a ISP for an issue they go by a script, and that usually make you verbally agree on charges that if the fault lies in the hardware of the premises you’ll  be up for the callout and the labour.

Edited: But agree, just wait and see. 

Edited by Addicted to music
On 13/08/2019 at 11:09 PM, Addicted to music said:

And according to the nbn this is the case, known as Lead in conduit that I paid for, it’s the same for all utilities.  That link sets it straight that the lead in conduit to the premises is the responsibility of the owner.

It is the responsibility of the owner for a brand new house.

It is the responsibility of NBN Co for an existing dwelling.

On 13/08/2019 at 11:09 PM, Addicted to music said:

in this case telecommunication, have any issues on your side of the boundary and you are up for the costs for all maintenance. 

The boundary is the first socket in the house for the ex-telephone network  (or other agreed network boundary on your property, eg. a box on the outside of your house, in some situations).

If the lead-in is missing or damaged .... or anything up to the first socket (in most situations) is faulty .... then it is NBN Co responsibility.

On 13/08/2019 at 10:07 PM, Compass said:

It is likely that by calling NBN Co  (poor advice) .... and saying something to the effect of "I don't have a lead-in" .... that they have been confused into thinking you are a new dwelling.

Did you give NBN Co your address?    If no, then the above is definitely the case ..... If yes, then it's possible (although still unlikely) there's an error somewhere in maps/plans.

On 13/08/2019 at 10:07 PM, Compass said:

Will wait and see what the 'installer' says, hopefully Im here when they are outside.

To get the lead-in work completed, you will need to be home.    This will be pre-arranged.

The best thing you can do, is wait for your area to be declared ready for service.   Call an ISP... and go from there.

Someone will come to site, and figure out what is there and what needs doing.    Anything you explain to them at this stage, runs the risk of causing confusion and is only going to need to be confirmed by someone on-site  (imagine if they assumed everything customers told them to be true).

On 13/08/2019 at 11:46 PM, Addicted to music said:

you are up for the cost to have that maintained

No.

Maintenance and faults on everything up to the boundary (which is inside your house) was Telstra (now NBN Co) responsibility.

To absolve themselves of that responsibility, NBN Co will need to file a complaint against Compass for damaging their property .... ie. the cable he (I assume it was him) destroyed when building a new driveway.

There is very little chance of that happening.

Call ISP, NBN will connect the property ..... they'll replace a non-working lead-in.    Done.