TV Sound

Like many of us on this forum, I run my TV sound through my 2 channel music system. After all, who wants to listen to the crappy little speakers that they fit into the ever thinner chassis's of current flat screens?

One thing that I have noticed is that the production values of some TV shows is particularly good,some is quite reasonable and some are execrable. My favourite for the quality of the sound, especially the title/background music and the sound effects for a long time was Silent Witness, on the ABC. There was some truly good work being done in the sound production on this show. Sadly, as of the last series that went to air recently, that seems to have become a victim of the bean counters. Whereas previously there was depth and a real spread of frequencies from the bottom to the top in the opening music, now it's as tinny as a cheap transistor. Sad really.

Has anyone else come across such a decline in production standards with a favourite show? I know that most of the big movies have a production budget that ensures at least acceptable SQ but it seems that TV productions are not as well blessed in some cases.

Another particular favourite of mine is the opening music to Star Trek: Discovery, especially the plucked strings near the end.

l can' t run the TV audio directly to my 2 channel set-up as the TV doesn't have rca outs.

l can and do run the TV sound to my A/V reciever via a digital cable then on to the 2 channei pre-amp and use it's HT bi-pass.

So really don't listen or watch TV  that way enough to comment on it's sound.

How do you get the TV sound to your amp?

23 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

l can' t run the TV audio directly to my 2 channel set-up as the TV doesn't have rca outs.

l can and do run the TV sound to my A/V reciever via a digital cable then on to the 2 channei pre-amp and use it's HT bi-pass.

So really don't listen or watch TV  that way enough to comment on it's sound.

How do you get the TV sound to your amp?

Optical output from the TV into my DAC, and from there to the amp.

Have never felt the need for more than two channels.

• Like 2

I used to run my tv via the tv headsocket into the MP3 input on my Cambridge integrated, now via my DAC optical as well.

I know TV's are supposed to be crap but I have listened to one all my life and never felt the need to complain it was TV after all.  I have laughed and cried and got excited felt the gamut of emotions and enjoyed concerts and music videos through that illuminated box in the corner and now front and centre of every living room throughout the world.

I am always surprised as to how good the headphone socket is on my TV when I plug straight in and I do listen for ambient sound effects and am rather surprised as to how much bother they go to to produce atmosphere in the background.  The Wire always had a lot going on in the background very immersive production.