Love to dance but dont seem to like music (HiFi)

Eskay

Always been intrigued that the audio hifi world appears to appeal in the majority to the male species- look at the amount of posts that concern the terms WAF , wife approval etc.

My wife is a lifelong dancer but has no interest in my hifi -Why is this, why are so few ladies interested?? 

your thoughts??

Dance is a physical manifestation of movement involving music. In the right moment, dance can transcend music. I'm no dancer but have been in that zone when clubbing or moshing. That does not diminish the role of music, it is an essential catalyst.

Sir, clearly I don't know your wife, or you, however the physical aspect would seem to be the key difference. That said, your intrigue is something I've also considered.

I met my wife at 31, we had /have extremely similar listening backgrounds when it comes to genres and bands but to this day she would be happy listening to $5 ear buds plugged into her phone at the gym. She will never sit down and listen through an album with me.

Perhaps the hifi element we're interested in allows us to satify the technocrat inside. I know I am one.

To quote someone I respect from a different audio forum:

It is the music itself that brings joy and emotion to life. That is what you are supposed to feel.

You don't need hifi to get that from music. IMO music feels like a base instinct. (so good)

Great question :)

have you asked your wife why she has no interest, my wife is the same, she has her own hifi/stereo system, full Rotel with Interdyn speakers, rarely listens to it, never listens to mine. She sees it as my domain, we have many common and shared interests, but others we do solo, healthy aspect of relationships

1 hour ago, Eskay said:

Always been intrigued that the audio hifi world appears to appeal in the majority to the male species- look at the amount of posts that concern the terms WAF , wife approval etc.

My wife is a lifelong dancer but has no interest in my hifi -Why is this, why are so few ladies interested?? 

your thoughts??

Yes, intriguing question, E!  :thumb:

My wife (of nearly 40 years!) has no interest in sitting down with me when I listen to music ... but she shure does drag me onto the dance floor whenever we go to an occasion which includes dancing.  :(

51 minutes ago, stiben said:

Dance is a physical manifestation of movement involving music.

The definition I like - courtesy Oscar Wilde - is that "dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire"!  :lol:

51 minutes ago, stiben said:

I met my wife at 31, we had /have extremely similar listening backgrounds when it comes to genres and bands but to this day she would be happy listening to $5 ear buds plugged into her phone at the gym. She will never sit down and listen through an album with me.

I met my wife at 29; I wouldn't say she had a history of going to pubs or clubs to listen to music - more the radio at home or in the car.  She's happy for the radio to be on at home (and comments when I occasionally forget to turn it on in the mornings) ... but, as I said, will never sit down specifically to listen.

Andy

• Like 1

This is easy, most women love music and don't care about how it sounds.

Most blokes start loving music and end up listening to how it sounds.

My wife would do the moonwalk to my UE megaboom via Bluetooth, i on the other hand don't truly immerse myself into the music unless it sounds good. 

• Like 1

Mrs Esquire does love to dance, as do I. I love good music, and especially good music that sounds good, as does Mrs Esquire. It's just that the importance we place on each part of the equation differs between us significantly. I feel I wouldn't be jumping to assumptions in stating that we both get the most enjoyment in sharing the moment of dancing to good music that sounds good.

I've been a serious gigging musician for almost a decade and up until we moved to Dubbo 18months back we were out every weekend wit either me/my bands playing a gig or attending other local gigs and continually bonding and strengthening our ties over great music, dancing, drinking, socializing, all that good stuff...

It definitely is not the same for HiFi... Chances to attend decent, especially original live music are practically non-existant in Dubbo, so my love and appreciation for music since the move is far more 'cerebral, critical and analytical'. I often find Mrs Esquire tuning out very quickly from both the music and especially my attempts to be conversational about what we deem good and not so good about the current selection. Be that sonically, historically, creatively etc.

But the solution I have found, to both enjoying and sharing the hobby, is to go back to where (I think) a lot of people's appreciation for music comes from;  Put on something you both love, get out of the chair, stop over-analyzing, grab your Mrs or Mr and just dance... Even if Mrs Esquire isn't in the mood, she can't resist some classic reggae for long if I initiate the moment. We regularly dance up a storm in the kitchen all by ourselves and even if the sound isn't perfect, often those moments together are more than worth the compromise.

23 hours ago, andyr said:

The definition I like - courtesy Oscar Wilde - is that "dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire"!  :lol:

I'm sure you can fill in the details yourselves but having a stereo in our bedroom has definitely never been a bad thing.

Guest Music monster

Hifi is a mans hobby. Very few women are into it, I  have never known one. My wife has no interest in it at all, but understands my passion for it. She does like a dance and I hate it?. Gary the music monster ?

10 minutes ago, MattyW said:

My wife thinks HiFi is an obsession / addiction and therefore unhealthy..... She accepts it most of the time though.

She is (mostly) correct and is accepting of your disability which is nice.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

She is (mostly) correct and is accepting of your disability which is nice.

Addiction/obsession is part of my make up.  If not this, it would be something else. This is less destructive than many others. It can be expensive from time to time though.

• Like 1
On 08/08/2019 at 5:42 PM, Eskay said:

your thoughts??

I'll probably cop some heat here, but I'll wager it's because (in my experience) most women don't have hobbies, not in the same sense that blokes do.

I tend to associate Hi Fi with the artificial sound of cheap all in one sound systems in the 90's.... Not natural at all.

Though arguably my going to DIY speakers utilizing drivers from the 50's, 60's etc could be classified as low fi so go figure right? That said more detail,  nuance, rich tone and insight into the mix I've never heard before. So yeah,  good music reproduction.

Probably the highest compliment I've received from my wife is she can't stand to listen to music while not at home anymore. ;)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
Guest Karl Rand
On 08/08/2019 at 7:42 PM, Eskay said:

your thoughts??

Given a majority of home music systems played loud ( I’m avoiding the term Hi-Fi) produce appalling distortion in the upper treble and given women have far more sensitive hearing in that region may have something to do with it. Then again most women loathe the mere appearance of piles of audio gear situated prominently in ‘their’ living room like some high alter to electronic technology. 

Strangly however the majority of women have taken to home theatre like fish to water but usually only if they have possession of the remote.  

I'll probably cop some heat here, but I'll wager it's because (in my experience) most women don't have hobbies, not in the same sense that blokes do.

There is also a direct correlation between HiFi, cars and motorbikes. It's that 1 chromosome. So sad...sign.
Guest Karl Rand
2 hours ago, needlerunner said:
On 18/08/2019 at 4:46 PM, TDK said:

There is also a direct correlation between HiFi, cars and motorbikes. It's that 1 chromosome. So sad...sign.

Google Eve-Anna Manley. 

Somewhere on the internet there is a community forum discussing "Love us looking good but don't seem to like make-up"

""   Always been intrigued that the make-up and expensive shoe world appears to appeal in the majority to the female species- look at the amount of posts that concern the terms HAF , Husband approval etc.

My Husband is a lifelong womanizer but has no interest in my shoes and dresses -Why is this, why are so few men interested?? 

your thoughts??  ""

I feel it had to be done after the post about "hifi, watches and fountain pens"..

Guest Karl Rand
6 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

My Husband is a lifelong womanizer but has no interest in my shoes and dresses -Why is this,

They’re not his size?