What needs upgrading first?

Welcome to the forum Tristan.

What aspect of the system, or what is it about the sound, are you most dissatisfied with that makes you want to upgrade?  What type of music do you listen to, and what's the room like that you have it in?  What is your source (what feeds the music into the amp - CD, turntable, streaming?).

I'm not familiar with those products, so it's hard for me to make suggestions.  A quick google revealed a review of the Gale Gold monitors which suggested that they are generally good quality but have harsh high-frequencies.  I'm a believer in having the best quality in the source end of the chain - it will send the best quality sound to the other components so they will work to the best of their potential (if you send poor quality sound down the line the other components will be working with a poorer quality signal and therefore not to their potential).  Other people believe that the speakers should be the best. 

i would look at a set of Monitor Audio Bronze 2, if you are looking to replace with simular size, great value for money/sound, next turntable then amp. You will get many varying opinions, considerations, budget, room size, music listened to WAF( if relevent), the list goes on, pick a starting point but have a selection of tracks you know well and use them as a reference, good luck

Thankyou for the replies.

I might check out the Monitor Audio Bronze 2. 

Any recommendations for a decent budget amp? I had a Yamaha r-500 before my current one which just seemed to sound less 'muddy' and a little more crisp both in the high and low end. Too bad it killed itself due to a short circuit from old 70's cabling.

It's worth going to stores to see what is out there and if it is worth upgrading. Plenty of used stuff that is great value too. 

Definitely go to Lifestyle Store and then there is Apollo, Eastwood, Audio Connection etc

Edited by Bunno77
fix

Your speakers look cheap and built with low quality parts and design. The reviews on it say the tweeter has a nasty sound, no wonder it is one of those $5 things.

A used $300-500 speaker that were $600-1000 rrp  like the MA mentioned above would be good. Other brands to look for are Spendor, B&W, Krix, Whatmough, Focal, Dynaudio, Kef, Proac etc

Edited by Al.M