Where to rent real 4K / UHD discs this day?

Hi,

I am new to Melbourne after leaving Australia for years. Where can I rent 4K / UHD movies nowadays? There is a Videoezy vending machine in local shopping centre, but the collection of blu-ray discs is around 10 titles and NO 4K disc available. I do subscribe STAN but the so-called 4K picture quality is appalling. I have unlimited NBN100 and a Sony 65" X85G already. Thought of upgrading my old 1080 Mitsubishi ex-flagship PJ to 4K one, but depends on how easy I can grab hold of 4K movies.

TIA.

I don't know of any 4K disc rental offer.

Quickflix has Blu-rays but they seem to be winding down with very little/no new releases in their inventory.

Unfortunately I think we are left with the streaming services and the reduced quality they have on offer 

7 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

Movies come on discs now?

3 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

I don’t think 4K have ever been rented. 

Thanks for replies Furthepale and Simon. I had been renting 4K movies weekly for more than a year in overseas for my family movie night on Saturdays. Just checking whether there is any similar service in Melbourne. Seems the only way to watch 4K disc in Australia is actually buying one.  I rented 4K movies via Apple TV 4K couple of times, the difference between actual disc and streaming is obvious. However, I hardly watch the same movie twice, buying one is not an economical option for myself.

5 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

I don't know of any 4K disc rental offer.

Quickflix has Blu-rays but they seem to be winding down with very little/no new releases in their inventory.

Unfortunately I think we are left with the streaming services and the reduced quality they have on offer 

Thanks for your reply.

Out of curiosity I just did a search for video stores in Melbourne..... and believe it or not but there are actually three video stores still in Melbourne !!

Can't say whether they have 4k/UHD @Music & HT lover so might have to call them to find out but yes video stores in Melbourne do still exist despite being very high on the endangered species list !!

3F8868AC-BDCA-4A21-A4C2-2D310325EB42.thumb.png.55b3cfd96e19417710d26aba758cce33.png

Edited by Martykt
33 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Out of curiosity I just did a search for video stores in Melbourne..... and believe it or not but there are actually three video stores still in Melbourne !!

Can't say whether they have 4k/UHD @Music & HT lover so might have to call them to find out but yes video stores in Melbourne do still exist despite being very high on the endangered species list !!

3F8868AC-BDCA-4A21-A4C2-2D310325EB42.thumb.png.55b3cfd96e19417710d26aba758cce33.png

Oh..i forgot the almighty GOOGLE!! Thanks a lot

Just called few video shops today, only Network Video Sandringham have 4K discs for rent. Price is good, just 1 return trip from my home takes more than an hour. 

I think I will postpone to acquire a 4K projector for the time being.

• Like 1

Bit of effort involved, but... Could buy 4k discs new from JB HIFI/Amazon etc. and then sell after watching.

4k discs go on sale fairly often and plenty of people seem to be buying 2nd hand discs on eBay from what I've noticed.

You might even decide to keep some after watching.

Anyway, just a thought

10 hours ago, Carl Perkins said:

Bit of effort involved, but... Could buy 4k discs new from JB HIFI/Amazon etc. and then sell after watching.

4k discs go on sale fairly often and plenty of people seem to be buying 2nd hand discs on eBay from what I've noticed.

You might even decide to keep some after watching.

Anyway, just a thought

Thanks Carl for your suggestion. I have been renting discs every week for more than 10 years. Last year I watched mainly 4K disc after I bought a 4K TV. Buying and selling every week is too much effort for me. I will still rent from iTune from time to time, but have to compromise with picture quality.

• Volunteer

Another option is to take advantage of the many Used 4K Blu-rays for sale in our Classifieds here on StereoNET.

Then there is also the Blu-ray Trading thread if you want to swap them with other members once you've watched them: 

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Another option is to take advantage of the many Used 4K Blu-rays for sale in our Classifieds here on StereoNET.

Then there is also the Blu-ray Trading thread if you want to swap them with other members once you've watched them: 

Thanks Marc. Will have a look.