Jump to content

Budget 3.1 system or soundbar


Recommended Posts

Hi guys and gals,

 

Been browsing the for sale sections on facebook, gumtree and on here for a used set of speakers and have narrowed down my budget and choice, the room size isn't huge, i have a tv mounted on a drop down tv mount above a fire place on a 3m wide wall, room size total is 3x4.5 meters total. Budget is around $1000 total. (not including a sub if i added one in the future).

 

Option 1.

 

Used set of front L and R speakers and amp. Add in a subwoofer down the track (would end up being a martysub diy build).

 

Option 2.

 

Soundbar.

 

Option 3.

 

Used Front Center Right set of speakers.

 

Onto of this I really need help on what to look for, there are so many used speakers out there and sound bars and could really really use some suggestions on what to look for new and used. I look every day and think owww that looks good but then dont know what im looking at or for, is it to big, to small, good brand, Im lost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Pristine_Koala,

 

Some things in the classifieds,

 

Marantz SR6006 for $300 

 

Cambridge Audio 551R V2 for $500

Onkyo TX-SR875 $200

DALI SPEKTOR 1, bookshelf speakers pair $369

And buy a centre to match

 

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pristine_Koala said:

Hi guys and gals,

 

Been browsing the for sale sections on facebook, gumtree and on here for a used set of speakers and have narrowed down my budget and choice, the room size isn't huge, i have a tv mounted on a drop down tv mount above a fire place on a 3m wide wall, room size total is 3x4.5 meters total. Budget is around $1000 total. (not including a sub if i added one in the future).

 

Option 1.

 

Used set of front L and R speakers and amp. Add in a subwoofer down the track (would end up being a martysub diy build).

 

Option 2.

 

Soundbar.

 

Option 3.

 

Used Front Center Right set of speakers.

 

Onto of this I really need help on what to look for, there are so many used speakers out there and sound bars and could really really use some suggestions on what to look for new and used. I look every day and think owww that looks good but then dont know what im looking at or for, is it to big, to small, good brand, Im lost. 

In your circumstances budget wise, and room size I'd have to choose Option 1

Buy a decent set of main speakers making sure they do VOICE well.....probably some small tower speakers..... plenty about, but if you don't know the brand / model number, just post a query and somebody will give you the dirt on them.

Best way to test this is to listen to some FM Talkback radio, as the voices will vary a lot so it really tests if the speakers sound equally good with Female and Male voices.

Small centre speakers are just not worth having IMHO when you consider that if you have them switched in, the surround amp is going to be sending most of the dialogue to that single centre speaker, I know, I switched mine out and eventually removed it and just ran my main L & R speakers, all dialogue is far easier to understand.

 

Forget soundbars, they are for women with Cats that don't want pusso climbing up the speakers, plus they don't do anything properly soundwise compared to traditional separate speakers.

 

Once you have a decent set of main speakers it's easy to add from there, I'd probably opt for surrounds over a sub as the first addition.

 

If you really have no idea about what speakers to get, just have a read through the article at the link below, where 'What HiFi' goes through the best speakers over the last 30 years, which quite a few of these you can find on Ebay or the like......IMHO I'd be looking for the MISSION's 753's for your setup, if lucky you could get a pair for around $500 or less, although they made several smaller models than this that are nearly as good, certainly best bang for buck.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-30-hi-fi-speakers-what-hi-fis-lifetime

 

 

 

Edited by Tweaky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 3.1 system is not the best for movies and not really design for music. Because I like action movies I would get soundbar with dolby atmos for movies and integrated amp +CD player/streamer + floorstandings for music. I know it's over the budget, but you can buy it over time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a listen yet but he bluesound pulse 2 i  soundbar   specs look pretty  good 

 

Im sure I read somewhere  a promotion by redemption a playstation 4  free with this 

Edited by david j
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well i did go listen to some soundbars in my price range today, was not overly impressed, did come across some orpheus aurora 3 speakers for cheap, aussie made seem to have some good reviews and well under budget, any thoughts?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pristine_Koala said:

well i did go listen to some soundbars in my price range today, was not overly impressed, did come across some orpheus aurora 3 speakers for cheap, aussie made seem to have some good reviews and well under budget, any thoughts?

 

Depending what price the Orpheus speakers are going for, you'd be hard pressed to get better value.

Read a review at the link below.

http://www.orpheusaudio.com.au/reviews/Aurora_3_Review.pdf

 

There was a pair for sale at this forum April last year for $500, which was a very cheap price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pristine_Koala said:

looking at a pair under $200 so seems a good buy

 

At under $200 I'd be suspecting that they might be some damage to them that you haven't noticed, or the seller has no idea what they have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soundbars are designed to upgrade audio from TV's tinny built-in speakers.  They are an improvement, and can be ok for general tv viewing, but are not designed for critical music listening.  I would go with your option #1, but if you get good quality speakers you may not need a subwoofer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well i missed out on the orpheus speakers, someone snaked them under me haha, would love to find a set of paradigum studio 60 or 100's, the plan i think now is to find a decent set of speakers and hopefully yeh be able to do without a sub, so that would increase the overall speaker budget a little

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your OP seems to only be looking for speakers and not AV amp?

 

If so the budget can be focused on speakers. Since HT is the majority use and with some music in mind try to get a speaker that has good midrange voicing meaning speech is very clear when watching movies and TV programs etc. Music oriented speakers can tend to be less suitable with recessed voices and one struggles to hear conversations and other details.. With 3.1 there is less chance of finding a perfectly same brand centre speaker matching the main speakers unless you are happy mixing it up if that doesn’t bother you.

 

There are lot of good budget subs that were worth $400-2000 that devalue to 20-30% or less over the years so you needn’t wait until later as such. Subs provide the foundation to a good HT sound. Typical options are Sony SAWM40 ($50), Mirage, Yamaha, Krix, B&W, Focal etc.

 

Typical used speaker options both floorstanders and standmount are B&W 601 & 602 series, Krix, Kef Ls50 ($800) and their cheaper line, Monitor Audio Bronze, Dynaudio, Mission etc and others mentioned so far.

Edited by Al.M
Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2019 at 9:43 PM, Pristine_Koala said:

Well i missed out on the orpheus speakers, someone snaked them under me haha, would love to find a set of paradigum studio 60 or 100's, the plan i think now is to find a decent set of speakers and hopefully yeh be able to do without a sub, so that would increase the overall speaker budget a little

Well you could do worse than this pair of Richter Wizard speakers that look like they are in very good condition, and only being sold because the wife has said they are too big. and at a bargain basement price of $175 ATM

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/castlecrag/speakers/richter-speakers/1224000251

 

Richter is a well known Sydney based speaker maker, and it wouldn't be hard to get speakers to match these for the rest of a HT setup at a later date.

Actually as funds permit, I'd get a BIG Center to go with these running as main L&R [Small centers are a waste of time, if you are going to use one, make sure it's a BIG one], then again when funds permit get some bigger badder mains, and move these Richters to rear surround duty, and considering the size of your room, you'll never need a sub.

If you did buy these speakers and found them a bit bass heavy, which might make voice not as easy to understand as it could be, their is a easy solution, you just get some foam rubber and experiment in blocking the bass reflex port, this has the same effect as moving the speakers away from the walls, all dialog in movies should be much easier to understand.

 

I sort of did the same thing with my B&W HT system.

When I bought my Harbeth SHL5's I was also running the B&W HT system beside it, result was both sets of speakers were compromise, so I ditched using the B&W center and sub, moved the Harbeth's as the main L&R and used the B&W towers for main rear L&R [But put the supplied foam bungs in the ports] and the B&W bookshelf speakers as rear satellites.

So much better, as very few speakers can match Harbeths for doing voice, and everything is intelligible at low volume, which is a added bonus when watching late at night.

 

 

Edited by Tweaky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...
To Top