Speaker distortion

Hi all, picked up a cheap pair of TDL RTL 2 speakers. One of the mid bass drivers has a tiny tear in the surround and distorts in the midrange, with vocals in particular. I was wondering if that tear in the surround could be causing that or if there may be another underlying issue. Very nice sounding little speakers otherwise. Any advice/ suggestions from those more knowledgeable than me would be welcome. Cheers, M

Vocals are particularly harsh on drivers normally. Imperfections and faults in drivers will show up first as distortion within this range since the human ear is primarily tuned to process voice.

Having said that, get the driver checked out to see if there are deeper issues hidden within the spider/voicecoil assembly.

When replacing the surround, do both at the same time.

• Like 1
On 4/8/2019 at 7:53 PM, Auracle said:

Vocals are particularly harsh on drivers normally. Imperfections and faults in drivers will show up first as distortion within this range since the human ear is primarily tuned to process voice.

Having said that, get the driver checked out to see if there are deeper issues hidden within the spider/voicecoil assembly.

When replacing the surround, do both at the same time.

Cheers mate,

I'll remove them both and get them checked out. M

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2019 at 5:28 PM, unclemack said:

Hi all, picked up a cheap pair of TDL RTL 2 speakers. One of the mid bass drivers has a tiny tear in the surround and distorts in the midrange, with vocals in particular. I was wondering if that tear in the surround could be causing that or if there may be another underlying issue. Very nice sounding little speakers otherwise. Any advice/ suggestions from those more knowledgeable than me would be welcome. Cheers, M

It's hard to say... I'd lean towards some other sort of fault also (small surround tear isn't usually as bad as it looks)  .... like partially burnt out voicecoils.    If the tear in the surround was from over excursion, then this (burnt) would make sense.

• Like 1
Make sure it’s not the driving electronics by switching the L to R speaker wires 1st before you do anything else.  Do the easiest things 1st as process of elimination.

No the source and electronics are fine. Definitely the speaker at fault here. Cheers, M

I have had drivers that sound distorted due to the surround flapping against the piece next to it in sympathy with the signal. you can try putting your finger on the surround where it is damaged to see if it changes or removes the distortion. Might give you an idea of whats going on

• Like 1