Help with Recapping a Mark Levinson 334 - Brisbane

Hi all,

My Mark Levinson 334 has started to make a buzzing noise when I turn it on, it still plays fine and when you turn it up you can’t hear it, but I’m pretty sure it’s the caps that are on the way out.

I have seen online that you can buy replacement Cornell Dubilier capacitors from the USA which is an option, but I wouldn’t want to have a go at swapping them out myself.

Can any one recommend someone locally to Brisbane or within 150kms to advise me on the best way to sort?

The amp weighs 50kg so not looking to ship it anywhere really...

Do I just replace the ones that are faulty or all of them??

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

If the vent caps are still in place and there's no obvious dampness around the top, the four power supply caps could be fine ML used very good quality ones, it may just be one of the smaller on board ones or a number of other things.

Cheers George 

download.jpg

Mark_Levinson_N23_5_inside2.jpg

• Like 1

Watson’s Electronics at Sumner Park Brisbane repaired my Krell EVO 400e a few years ago.  Very professional and diagnosed an excessive dc voltage on the output stage as a fault with the protection circuit not the output stage.  It wasn’t easy to diagnose as the amp would only power up for a few seconds before the protection circuit would shut the amp down.  Also the modular way the amplifier boards in the EVOs were made makes it difficult to get to the amplifier stages.

Hope this helps.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin, I think I’ll drop it over to them to see what they reckon before I go and buy any replacement caps for it.
I don't wish to be rude, but why? That would be like taking your car to a mechanic who diagnoses a faulty cam chain tensioner, you then says thanks very much and take it home to try fix yourself. That's a bit disrespectful to the techs. The technicians will still charge you for their time to have a look at the amp and even then a quick look over maybe will still not find the root cause of your problem. I see only 2 methods, either get the schematics and try to fix it yourself ( you will need a fair amount of skill to fault find this amplifier if it is anything other than a simple fix) or get the professionals to do this. There is nothing worse than being a tech trying to fix something when you know some other person has been in there and made a shamozle of it and now expects the professional to fix their stuff up.

Hey Niss man, perhaps you didn’t read my post probably, but I wouldn’t attempt to do this repair myself, I was asking for a recommendation of someone locally whom could do it.

Given that it’s not a common item in Australia I did some research as to the correct parts that may be required as they might not be available here or may try and steer me towards something that isn’t what is recommended for the amp.

There is a lot of information on ML amps requiring the re capping done after 20 years, which is about the age this is now..

Cheers

So long as the techs use the same value of caps and keep with the quality brands, it will be good. They can order everything that is needed. Btw have you tried looking on the Mark Levinson website for ML recommended technicians, maybe there is some info there.