Speaker suggestion

Hi, I have both the Marantz KI Pearl amplifier and the CD player. I currently have Sonus Faber Grand Pianos which I’m considering upgrading. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. Thanks

• Love 1

Any suggestions? That's a wide gate you have opened there for a lot of great suggestions no doubt from a lot of experienced members here at Stereonet.

Might be a good opportunity to narrow the field a little.

Are you looking for a different sound to  the SF's, or an enhanced version, more of what the SF's deliver?

Speaker format?

Budget?

New/Secondhand etc etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, funbugcars said:

Hi, I have both the Marantz KI Pearl amplifier and the CD player. I currently have Sonus Faber Grand Pianos which I’m considering upgrading. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. Thanks

If you want to improve your sound can I suggest you upgrade your integrated amp rather than the speakers.  Reading the specs for your 'Pearl' - and those for the 'Grand Pianos' - I can't help feeling that a more powerful amp is needed, to let the spkrs produce their best.

If you want to continue with an integrated ... why not try to audition a Pass Labs INT-150 - or, if you can afford it, an INT-250?

Andy

• Like 6

With that kind of money its better to really know the sound you are looking for. Maybe visiting Melbourne HIFI show + few visits at local shops will give you a better idea. If that's impossible than another Sonus Faber might be the safest guess. 

• Like 1

While we are waiting for room size info, assume if he is currently using SF GP two way floor standers then something similar in size should do. The following thread has options new and when those models become second hand you can knock yourself out according this recently compiled list and get back to us on several options for specific comments

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

after a quick read of the stereophile review of the sonus faber, the Marantz is definitly not in the same league, with a $10000 bubget you could buy any number of amps to make the sonus faber sing, auditioning would be essential

• Like 1

Irek hit it on the head. Before you ask for suggestions we need to know what your tastes are and what is it you are missing from your speakers. It's not necessarily your speakers that may be the problem. Also, you haven't identified what sources you mainly use and the equipment. Again these may be the weakest. For speakers, what I hear and want is not necessarily your taste. You have a very decent budget but that's not the problem. We can help but require more info as advised by various members above.

• Like 1

@funbugcars

Just over your budget but I’m sure they will accept $10k. No more upgrades after this purchase and you are already familiar with Sonus Faber sound

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Neo said:

@funbugcars

Just over your budget but I’m sure they will accept $10k. No more upgrades after this purchase and you are already familiar with Sonus Faber sound

Neo

I have the same model Amatis. As my electronics are upgraded the speakers just keep on improving. My latest change is a Passlabs XA30.8 class A amplifier which is a great match with the Amatis.

Highly recommended. 

Edited by BAM
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, funbugcars said:

Hi my room is 4.5m x 6.3m. I’ve seen the Amatis. Shipping to the Sunshine Coast could possibly be an issue and expensive

I had my Amatis shipped from US.

Maybe not as bad as you think.

If you decide to upgrade your amp try to get one that will be good enough for a possible future speaker upgrade. The voice of experience.

Or vice versa.

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BAM said:

If you decide to upgrade your amp try to get one that will be good enough for a possible future speaker upgrade. The voice of experience.

Or vice versa.

Yes, one amp to rule them all. 

I'll disagree with the learned brethren. A speaker change will make the biggest difference.

Those Amatis look sweet.

There are some nice PMCs in the classifieds.

Some KEF References on Gumtree.

And (wild card) some Nakamichi Dragons in the classifieds for just $4K.

They are active so you needn't worry about amps.

:)

Edited by sfdoddsy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Changing the speakers with the same amp will lead to the same disappointment, it will leave the speakers wanting for something decent to make them sound their best, and again thinking about a speaker upgrade........

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, wen said:

Changing the speakers with the same amp will lead to the same disappointment, it will leave the speakers wanting for something decent to make them sound their best, and again thinking about a speaker upgrade........

Unless he goes with active speakers which is the other valid alternative.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

After reading all the comments, l tend to agree that the amp is the weak link.
I exchanged my moderate 70wpc to a 200wpc high end amp.
What a difference it made.

This was not apparent first up, but boy after a 100 hours, what a difference.

For what it's worth, l would try your existing speakers with a better amp, I'm sure you will experience a huge difference. And maybe down the track you will upgrade the speakers as well( As we all do eventually).

I wouldn't say your amp is crap. But it way under utilizes what your speakers are capable of producing.

• Like 1