• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going through this thread has been fantastic - and I have learned a lot.   Here is my current rig and Headphones: Marantz CD6006 (nice used as a transport but the upgrade bug is startin

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

Toppings d90 / a90 are very good indeed. As good as the Questyle. Just more neutral / bright which opens up the whole soundscape. Same power delivery. I could live with either.

Bass on the Toppings are very thumping and impactful. I don’t have the 2 units side by side but I could be happy with the Toppings indeed.

Now waiting on the v280 to arrive next week. 

These are not high end gear but by George, they sound like Buckingham Palace. No need for Chord Dave. ?

Arya on the Toppings is simply amazing. Holding On by War On Drugs have me hooked.

Buy this !

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Arya on the Toppings is simply amazing. Holding On by War On Drugs have me hooked.

Buy this !

Speaking of the devil, one pops up on classifieds, trade for CMA12, yeah nah yeah nah?

$1500 for the Toppings stack is great value but I wouldn't trade CMA 12 for it. As I said, they are similar in the enjoyment stake. Just different flavours. Even the power delivery is identical. One box vs 2 boxes - your choice.

CMA 12 has better finish in the 10mm thick Foxconn design panels. Toppings feel very light.

Edited by Odyssey
21 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

CMA 12 has better finish in the 10mm thick Foxconn design panels. Toppings feel very light.

Yeah was just fishing for opinions, no way I would trade my CMA12 ever, Topping gear always has that tacky chifi look to it imo, although I know they measure extremely well.

Wouldn't trade a nice solid heavy amp for a light opamp chifi thing again. Ever. I didn't really enjoy any of those amps much. Topping/THX etc 

They are both made in China. Even the Auralic Taurus Mk2 is made in China. La Figaro 339 is made in China. While I'm biased towards gear made in Europe or USA, my perception is slowly changing. 

• Like 1

The new incoming toy v280 is made in Germany.  My mind tells me that should be better. However it is how it sound that I'm interested in. How it sound is always subjective. One man's musical is another man's dark and warm. One man's clarity and details is another man's clinical and sterile. ?

One man's TOTL cans is another man's over priced nonsense. At the end of the day, my best purchase this period may be the $120 owner's unwanted Christmas present - the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earpads (not the Mk2 but the original). ?

When I first bought Feliks Elise in 2016, they were priced at an introductory offer of US$649. They were unknown then and the take up rate was very slow initially. Many reckon the Crack with Speedball is better. Then they introduce the Euforia which I also bought and Lukasz (the proprietor's son in charge) and I are on 1st person talking terms. I was talking them up in the Head-Fi threads. Not just me but a few others. Fast forward to this day, the amps have been reviewed by major reviewers and are accepted now as being good. After all it is made in Poland - that's Europe. 

If you ask me now though, I'd say La Figaro 339 and Woo Audio WA22 is more exciting for me and cheaper. 

Plenty of great Chinese products for sure.

I just don't like these refreshed_every_2_months ones. Don't like the sound.

Topping: Here is our DX7ProSPlus February model

Auralic: We made this in 2013, haven't changed it.

The 789 brought a high end sound to the masses, and has sparked this wave of increasingly high value amps. It's good for the hobby I think, just not my jams 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

One man's TOTL cans is another man's over priced nonsense. At the end of the day, my best purchase this period may be the $120 owner's unwanted Christmas present - the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earpads (not the Mk2 but the original). ?

I envy those who think Beats headphones are the best thing they have ever heard, I use to think Beats were expensive little did I know how expensive it truly became deeper down the rabbit hole.

Its funny, cause when I first started getting into this hobby it was around the time Beats was really fashionable/trendy and literally 80%> of people you see in public  using headphones were wearing Beats.

My wife saw that I had an interest in headfi stuff and decided to surprise me with an expensive Xmas gift one Year, lo behold it was a pair of Beats. I remember telling her that it was overpriced garbage, but she thought they were one of the better headphones you could get (the hype and marketing was real). We unfortunately could not get it returned, so instead it was re gifted to a family member who thought it was the best headphone ever haha....

Dr. Dre was listed with a net worth of $550 million on Forbes' The World's Billionaires 2014 list. It was also estimated that the Carlyle Group would receive a profit of $1 billion from the sale of its minority stake in the company.

Don't underestimate Beats. Just like Alibaba owner Jack Ma his net worth is US$65.5 billion and what does Alibaba do? E-commerce, retail, Internet and Technology. Maybe they could do a TOTL headphone. I am sure they could produce a space age tube amp or any amp / dac.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The 789 brought a high end sound to the masses, and has sparked this wave of increasingly high value amps. It's good for the hobby I think, just not my jams 

789 is not my butter too because an amp that does not have a proper name but a jailhouse number is just .... a number. 

You're right. I get tired of sequels. I think they copied Apple. iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Even Samsung is doing that. A new model every alternate years. How tiring is that? And Siri .... hehehe you should see what she writes for me when I dictate to her.

I may have found my end game stack. ?  As a precursor, I will try the v280 on Hekse. That will give me some idea.

20201117_151641.jpg

• Like 1

I may have found my end game stack. ?  As a precursor, I will try the v280 on Hekse. That will give me some idea.

20201117_151641.jpg

Is that your photo? Suvara?

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Is that your photo? Suvara?

Nope stole it from the Internet

6 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The new Violectric does look awesome. Wonder how much of an improvement it is too.

It does look awesome and no doubt sound awesome. There's a thread on Head-Fi for it.

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Nope stole it from the Internet

That was pretty misleading >_<

While we are at it, I may as well post a quick snap of my modest setup :P

Sennheiser_Headphones.jpg

Edited by bruc3

Well I did not say that was 'my' Susvara and Violectric set. Just expressed that I may have found my end game stack. i.e that's what I want.

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

And waste a whole year without it?

Foolish !

I believe in sampling the fruits slowly. My CMA 12 is 2 days old. Hekse is also 2 days old. LF339 is less than 3 months old. v280 is not even here. And I am or was thinking of getting the improved DNA Stratus. That is so old news now. What about the Auris Nirvana that made me drink coke? Nirvana and LCD-4 is pure ecstasy in chocolate shakes with strawberry and some rum or a lot of rum !

If I aim for the top straight away, there will be nothing after that. I will have to go back to my earbuds - $120 Sennheiser Momentum that is.

31st July 2017 - my setup then. Good fruits were already sampled along the way. Feliks Euforia with the Schiit stack. It's strange that I still move on from that. 

20170731_190938.jpg

Not how I will do it because how do you know what's best for your ears. Price is not the criteria. Nor fan boy reviews.

There are 5 headphones now that are considered TOTL. Abyss ab-1266 phi tc, Susvara, LCD-4, Utopia, Final D8000 Pro. Yet if you ask 5 keen audio enthusiasts which one is the best, you're probably going to get different answers.

Most might say Susvara. Then they would debate which amplifier drives it best. Some even advocate speaker amps. What about dac accompanying that? 

Then there are those who claim that hd650 is the best. They are not wrong because they are entitled to that opinion. 

For me right now, Hekse off CMA 12 is enough for me. Do I need better? No. ?

Ask me in 3 months time and it will be a different story.

Notice I did not even mention ZMF Verite. Had that, done that and I move on. But I won't discourage others from loving it because I had love it at one time - very much.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Bengineer said:

From what I've learnt from @peppy and @BlueOceanBoy is that you just buy the best then sell it shortly after, scaling back.

I see now you've written that as tongue in cheek. When I read that late last night, I thought you were serious. ?

Listening to 'Leader of the Band' by Dan Fogelburg, singing on the Queen Mary 2, in memory of his father, Hekse captures all the emotion of his voice and the lyrics came alive.

Dan say if he could write only one song, it would be this song. If I could only have one headphone it would be HEKse. I came to that conclusion after 3 days of listening to music all through NYE and the New Year. Mostly I sat using these 3 headphones of Hekse, HD800 and LCD-X. The HiFiMan took the best of the Senns and the Audeze and the outcome is the Hekse and then some. 

IMG_1652.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The HiFiMan took the best of the Senns and the Audeze and the outcome is the Hekse and then some.

I feel as if HiFiMan in as a brand in general really do that well. You have the more analytical, hyper-detailed presentation of a Sennheiser HD800S, and then the more full bodied, musical, smooth and lush experience of an Audeze, then you have HiFiMan - which takes just the right amount of both of those qualities and injects them into all their headphones at different price points. For that reason, it's why HiFiMan are my favourite brand.

That being said, I would love to try a HE1000 family headphone, I absolutely love my Edition X v2, and can only imagine the improvement the HE1000s are with just a little bit more treble up the top (I find my HEXv2 a little too laid back at times) and a clear step up in resolving capabilities.

Edited by virtua

Once you have heard the Hekse, there's no going back. Guy in the Head-Fi thread said he sold his beloved Verite Ironwood after listening to the Hekse with his EC Studio Jr. 

I may have to get 2 in case I wear out the Hekse I'm using from too much use. ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

One thing I find pretty amusing is out of all the higher end headphones I've seen, the ones I see plenty on the used market coming up looking very well pre-loved are HE1000's - you can really tell they had plenty of head time and for good reason lol. I see this happening quite a bit with Edition X's too

Once you have heard the Hekse, there's no going back. Guy in the Head-Fi thread said he sold his beloved Verite Ironwood after listening to the Hekse with his EC Studio Jr. 

What is the build quality like with the top-end Hifiman ? I've read that in their lower offerings the build seems to have been a little rushed.

It’s very good on hekse no rattles or creaks. Slider has a nice click and feels well implemented. Pads are soft, memory foam and very comfortable. Metallic housing is very classy. I am impressed 

Very nice. What I've been able to make out from photos it looks to be well built.

What I like best is that Hekse works like a charm with iPhone on Tidal, Spotify and Youtube Premium Music. Throw in Apple Music and you have music on the go. 

The sound is incredible from the humble iPhone. I could live with it. A day in the park by the lake, listening to music as you watch the people go by. Life is good.

32cd3d05-a577-4270-b0cc-9e4682ea0629.JPG