Streamer difference

Hi all

I currently have a bluesound node 2 running to external dac. 

Have read some great things about Cambridge audio 851n 

My question is if I was running both through the external dac would there be a difference? 

Being a digital source and simply passing it through rather than unfolding it is there a difference in streamers that results in a fuller finer deeper detailed sound or is it in most part down to the dac section? 

Edited by cambam007
Spellink

11 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

Being a digital source and simply passing it through rather than unfolding it is there a difference in streamers that results in a fuller finer deeper detailed sound or is it in most part down to the dac section? 

If you're referring to Tidal/MQA, I didn't think 851N could do either natively.

I don't have one though, so I could be wrong

Just now, sakabatou said:

If you're referring to Tidal/MQA, I didn't think 851N could do either natively.

I don't have one though, so I could be wrong

I believe it's been updated but my question isn't model specific it's more of a is a digital source a digital source or is it somehow compromised by mid fi streamers 

59 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

The DAC has the larger influence but the streamer plus the connection (usb, S/PDIF) can also influence the sound quality.  To make matters even more complicated, improving the power supply to each of the components can also impact SQ.  Getting the right mix is both fascinating and frustrating.  Unfortunately, the only way to find out what works is to try things in your own setup and draw your own conclusions. And you will need to define your own limits about how far you want to go and how much you are prepared to experiment and spend.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

It’s as simple to me as this, choose the streamer that has the feature set you want, connect to favorite DAC, and move on. 

That is one way to draw the line on how far to experiment.  But some have found that the streamer does have a significant influence on SQ.  Still, others have bought an all-in-one streamer DAC.  

Makes it hard for OP but there is no one correct answer...

• Like 1

@Snoopy8 I think my point is really based on the fact that it can cause you to spend a lot of money chasing fragments of change, where’s as a DAC change will benefit more. Expensive streamers are good if your using their own DAC’s, but streamers in the same price range when using an external dac, stick with functionality over the minute sound difference you’ll only hear at the time you may A/B test them, but every day use will be fine either way. 

7 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

@Snoopy8 I think my point is really based on the fact that it can cause you to spend a lot of money chasing fragments of change, where’s as a DAC change will benefit more. Expensive streamers are good if your using their own DAC’s, but streamers in the same price range when using an external dac, stick with functionality over the minute sound difference you’ll only hear at the time you may A/B test them, but every day use will be fine either way. 

Agree you can spend lots of money chasing minute changes. However, there can also be significant differences when changing streamer, even in the same price range. It depends on the setup of an individual and their experience, listening preference etc.  There is no one right answer...

1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

John did a video today on this very subject, goes against my stance, but I’m open to anything. 

Thats a extremely informative video but his bottom line was cd vs streamer and he noted the difference is down to network interference etc so brings me no closer really as im looking at streamer vs streamer bypassing dacs and pre amps etc.

playing the same source file  on different streamers via digital out produce different results

10 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Yep streamers sound different. 

The 851n has a lot of features not being used if just as a streamer. The functionality of the 851n isn't as good as a Bluesound either. 

i enjoy how the bluesound just works and the remote app is verry functional.

the 851n has a fantastic dac and pre that would both be bypassed in my case,hence my question... is it such a good unit because the sum of all parts bring it all together and if used as just a streamer be better than something like a bluesound.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

i enjoy how the bluesound just works and the remote app is verry functional.

the 851n has a fantastic dac and pre that would both be bypassed in my case,hence my question... is it such a good unit because the sum of all parts bring it all together and if used as just a streamer be better than something like a bluesound.

Functionality isn't up to Bluesound. 

As a streamer alone sound wise from memory it wasn't amazing or much better than a CXN (obv better DAC etc) 

Plenty of cheaper options that are better streamers and won't be paying for a DAC/PRE that won't be used. 

If you were to use it as a streamer/DAC/PRE then it's not a bad option

I’d only go the 851 over the bluesound if I planned on using the internal dac or I wanted some more rack presence.

I’m a big CA fan but suspect over digital the upside would be minimal based on how good the bluesound is over digital.

doesnt help you but hey! ?

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

9 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I’d only go the 851 over the bluesound if I planned on using the internal dac or I wanted some more rack presence.

I’m a big CA fan but suspect over digital the upside would be minimal based on how good the bluesound is over digital.

doesnt help you buy hey! ?

ha ha this is the issue.

i am happy with the bluesound but the thought entered my head and have to at least entertain the notion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sime V2 said:

Basically there’s more talk on here about the nodes vs the Cambridge stuff ?

my question wasn't really specific to those two models, theirs a ca for sale on here that peaked my interest but it rose the question as to what actually is reproducing the audio.

once you strip away all the frills and use just the streaming side fed into an outboard dac would there be a noticeable difference.

seems theirs two camps and no real definitive answer 

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

@Snoopy8 so what in the real world have you heard between two streamers connected to the same dac?

I have compared Bluesound Node 1, Sms-200, Sms-200 Ultra, both Sms with different power supplies on the same DAC. Some differences between boxes are minor but some are obvious.  If you include PCs working as streamers, then add 2 more with the same DAC.

Have also used Cambridge Audio CXN, Pi server with linear power supply, MicroRendu. Did not go up market with Lumin, Antipodes etc..

I agree with you that the DAC has more influence on SQ. But let's agree to disagree on how much influence a streamer has.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

agree with you that the DAC has more influence on SQ. But let's agree to disagree on how much influence a streamer has.

Don’t get me wrong, I can be convinced, I just haven’t heard it myself yet. I just think the bare data side before the dac would be to trivial over the dac itself. 

13 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

I just think the bare data side before the dac would be to trivial over the dac itself. 

That was my belief for a long time too. For years, I was using Foobar2000 on a laptop to my Audiolab DAC.  I then discovered that LMS (Squeezelite) did a much better job and started down the slippery slope on upgrading streamer, DAC, USB etc...  

Was not mentioned earlier, but the software player on the streamer (if options are available) also has an influence. I preferred MPD on the SMS-200 but others found it too revealing and chose the more relaxed Squeezelite.

To the OP, like many things audio, there are different views. Hence, my earlier suggestion on trying things for yourself and setting limits. As long as you are happy with the sound, that is the only criteria that should matter.

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

That was my belief for a long time too. For years, I was using Foobar2000 on a laptop to my Audiolab DAC.  I then discovered that LMS (Squeezelite) did a much better job and started down the slippery slope on upgrading streamer, DAC, USB etc...  

Was not mentioned earlier, but the software player on the streamer (if options are available) also has an influence. I preferred MPD on the SMS-200 but others found it too revealing and chose the more relaxed Squeezelite.

To the OP, like many things audio, there are different views. Hence, my earlier suggestion on trying things for yourself and setting limits. As long as you are happy with the sound, that is the only criteria that should matter.

we are all cut from the same cloth that makes the sails of this boat we all share.

yes i have progressed and evolved my system and constantly upgrade and tweak and i am at a point where yes i am happy but always looking at weakest links