Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made a new Stand for my HeadFi set up Yesterday and finished her off today all set up..

Current lock-down oasis. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Starter kit. Just kicked off the headphone journey. Where to from here....

09496326-6B72-4E83-959F-2067282FC464.jpeg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

If you like it just stop. Stop now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bengineer said:

If you like it just stop. Stop now.

😅 ..... stopping has only just occurred in the main system. I suspect it may take a while in the HP setup as well...if this thread and forum are any indication. 

Just now, AlurkA said:

😅 ..... stopping has only just occurred in the main system. I suspect it may take a while in the HP setup as well...if this thread and forum are any indication. 

Ok, then just go endgame and be done with it :P

Susvara and stop 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Ok, then just go endgame and be done with it :P

Susvara and stop 

Hahaha funnily enough I was looking at those this arvo.  I’d need an amp and DAC to go with them....of course 😀

4 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

Hahaha funnily enough I was looking at those this arvo.  I’d need an amp and DAC to go with them....of course 😀

Or stick with the meze brand and go an empyrean which will run off your current gear.

Listing a set in the next couple of days, ping me if you're interested ;)

Edited by barbz127
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

CMA Twelve to Meze Empyrean. Call it a day.

That would do it. Nice and compact setup

It's actually really good too. Ran it for a while. Most would be very content with it.

1 hour ago, AlurkA said:

Nice starting system!  I run the cans on my pc and really enjoy putting them on every time.

• Like 1

Lovely starter kit. I’d suggest enjoying them for at least a little while before moving on. 

Empyrean are lovely for enjoying. Utopia for dynamic drive and technical ability. And Susvara if you want to go two channel - may as well buy a $10000 speaker amp…

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Lovely starter kit. I’d suggest enjoying them for at least a little while before moving on. 

Empyrean are lovely for enjoying. Utopia for dynamic drive and technical ability. And Susvara if you want to go two channel - may as well buy a $10000 speaker amp…

Would love to have a listen to the Empyrian....maybe once things return to Vicnormal!!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

Would love to have a listen to the Empyrian....maybe once things return to Vicnormal!!

Oh Victoria ... having recently visited from WA, it was an interesting experience. Australia as a whole is rather complacent regarding 'Rona ... 

The Empyreans (using the silver plated upgrade Meze cable - I haven't really bothered plugging in the stock cable anymore) are magnificent out of the Naim Atom HE. There's something soft, silky about their tonality and vocal presentation that are just nice. That and they're super comfortable. 

We need to have a headphone meet at some stage. It's a shame we don't have CanJam or the equivalent in Australia. 

If anyone is in WA, I have no issues with meeting up for a scotch / vino and a headphone session. I'd probably try to talk A2A into hosting even. Their new premises in WA are not only nice but very central.

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Oh Victoria ... having recently visited from WA, it was an interesting experience. Australia as a whole is rather complacent regarding 'Rona ... 

The Empyreans (using the silver plated upgrade Meze cable - I haven't really bothered plugging in the stock cable anymore) are magnificent out of the Naim Atom HE. There's something soft, silky about their tonality and vocal presentation that are just nice. That and they're super comfortable. 

We need to have a headphone meet at some stage. It's a shame we don't have CanJam or the equivalent in Australia. 

If anyone is in WA, I have no issues with meeting up for a scotch / vino and a headphone session. I'd probably try to talk A2A into hosting even. Their new premises in WA are not only nice but very central.

The Naim looks like an interesting bit of gear. I like the idea of a wireless Roon endpoint and one box on the desk.  How does it sound?

43 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

The Naim looks like an interesting bit of gear. I like the idea of a wireless Roon endpoint and one box on the desk.  How does it sound?

For the price point ; above par.

You're basically getting a quality Network streamer ; Roon ready end-point with in-built wi-fi/spotify connect/chromecast/airplay/digital I/O in a very high quality NAIM box. With the headphone amplifier.

The tuning is very pleasant. Just a hint on the warm side of neutral. Technical ability it's not quite Chord TT2 soundstage/seperation/detail retrieval but from a tonality and balance perspective, it sounds very good with almost all headphones I throw at it. Utopia ; Empyrean. HD800S. My local A2A loves the Finals D8000 Pro out of it. And I've auditioned the LCD4 and it sounds great also. 

As always, at this price point I suggest auditioning before you buy. Most places are happy for you to bring your own gear to test.

Whilst it may be the 4-pin XLR adapter confounding, I prefer my Empyreans out of the NAIM HE than the TT2 having just swapped rooms and units.

(And yes, I can tell a difference between the 4 pin XLR adapters to TRS  -  a Nordost Heimdall and Moon Silver Dragon that I have so I assume that they would / could affect the sound ; whereas the NAIM has a 4 pin XLR jack. The Dragon is noticeably darker than the Heimdall which probably doesn't pair as well with Empy). 

I should add that I enjoy my Empyreans out of the NAIM just as much (if not more) than out of the TT2. Which is rather high praise. And the latter requires me to attach a network streamer/music source... which at the moment is usually the A&K SP2000..

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a revelation this evening. Decided to plug the Meze 99 classics into my main system. OMG....bit of a difference...but then I guess the Accuphase La Scala combo is most definitely a step up from the IFI stack on the desk.   Gotta say I am loving this journey into the headphone space.  Not quite a desktop system though. 

5B742CF9-DEEB-4BBE-BA08-05D22A432862.jpeg

Edited by AlurkA
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm part of the speaker-amp-for-headphones subset. Primarily because to drive the Abyss or Susvara to the level I want, I will require either a powerful headphone amp (that's typically very expensive) or a very good speaker amp (which are a dime a dozen in the used market). 

4A0AF623-D30B-48EB-A22C-97017FB94D69_1_105_c.jpeg.85f260a6b45afe56d28ba1049ac8f824.jpeg

• Like 8

Dragged out all my head-fi for a photo

Headphones:

Over-ear: Oppo PM-1, Sennheiser HD600, Philips Fidelio X2HR, Philips Fidelio L2, Audio Technica ATH-M50x, Audio Technica ATH-AD900

On-ear: Sennheiser HD238, Philips Fidelio M1, Koss KPH30i, Koss KSC75

Noise Cancelling: Sony WH-1000XM2

Gaming Headset: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1

Vintage: Sennheiser HD420

DAPs: Fiio M11, Fiio M5, Sony NWZ-A15

Amp/Dac: Oppo HA-1

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, bmc said:

Headphones:

Over-ear: Oppo PM-1, Sennheiser HD600, Philips Fidelio X2HR, Philips Fidelio L2, Audio Technica ATH-M50x, Audio Technica ATH-AD900

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG

too many

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

too many

Yes.....No.....Maybe?

• Haha 1
On 22/06/2021 at 11:21 AM, bmc said:

Headphones:

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG

Okay, so who's the favourite child?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I'd think the PM-1

True, it just seems like there are a lot of HD600 die-hards out there. Also, Air (and Art) Series ATs do a thing

Edited by twofires
6 minutes ago, twofires said:

True, it just seems like there are a lot of HD600 die-hards out there. Also, Air (and Art) Series ATs do a thing

There is, but it's hard to reach for them constantly when you have a high end can nearby. At least, thats what I find.

5 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I swing between three different phones. If noisy I have two closed back. 

All around the same technical abilities?

My best are Sennheiser 700s but phones at half the price are equally enjoyable. Not a fan of the 600s and don’t  have any.

On 16/06/2021 at 3:44 AM, Pashmeister said:

I'm part of the speaker-amp-for-headphones subset. Primarily because to drive the Abyss or Susvara to the level I want, I will require either a powerful headphone amp (that's typically very expensive) or a very good speaker amp (which are a dime a dozen in the used market). 

4A0AF623-D30B-48EB-A22C-97017FB94D69_1_105_c.jpeg.85f260a6b45afe56d28ba1049ac8f824.jpeg

Lovely.

Where did you find your Mac Mini stand?

20210623_142046.thumb.jpg.7573dc5c4c1904c74c931edb7addd1d8.jpg

Speaking of, these just rocked up in the mail - pretty much pristine condition. My head-fi journey begins. 

I plugged them into the headphone jack on my Rotel RA-1592, but will reserve judgement until I have my A90 in hand. Rotel provide absolutely no info on whether it's a proper headphone stage or just resistors off the speaker output, so it may not be a good representation. All I'll say is that they're a fair bit warmer than I'd anticipated. Not bad by any means, but toasty warm sounds. Also I lot less sound leakage than I thought there might be.

• Like 3

They need a bit of juice. And do scale ok with better gear. And do pair best with a OTL tube amp.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

They need a bit of juice. And do scale ok with better gear. And do pair best with a OTL tube amp.

Enjoy!

I'll definitely give them a fair shake. The OTL amp thing seems a bit tricky, though. My research on the Dark Voice suggests it's extremely powerful but a bit cobbled together, and the Bottlehead involves the sort of time and skill that I just don't have. I haven't found any other options for OTL - are they something bigger companies just don't touch?

I also have a couple of other headphone options in the works, just to get a bead on what I like the sound of.

Woo Audio make some sleek versions.

And Bottlehead Cracks come up for sale fairly regularly here. You can also pay Bottlehead to make it for you. Or there is a guy on Etsy that makes very nice ones.

Feliks Audio also make a nice little unit called the Echo Mk2. @Indie Hi-Fi (site sponsor and all round good dude) sells them. Excellent little thing.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, twofires said:

Okay, so who's the favourite child?

Well, the PM-1 and HD600 are equal favourites. Mainly use them balanced out of the HA-1.

I Use the Fidelio L2 or X2HR with the Fiio M11 if I can't be bothered swapping cables on the above.

The HD238 or KPH30i with the Sony NWZ-A15 when I'm out walking the dog and stuff.

The KSC75 are good for cycling - no headband and don't block out ambient sounds.

ATH-M50x if I need something sealed (rare).

Sony WH-1000XM2 for travel (theoretical at the moment).

Fidelio M1 and Fiio M5 I have passed on to my wife to use.

The rest don't get much action.

• Like 1