IGNORED

OMG!! WAF approval?! (well not quite!)

Oh My God! hallelujah!

I bought something and made a wee change to the system that my wife can actually 'tell the difference' in the before and after flavour :D

"ooo" she says, " well i can hear that" followed the exclamation...

what is it you ask?! Snake Oil.... (or so you may think)

For those of you non believers in all things magical, I have been toying with the idea of getting the Acoustic Revive RD3 Disc De-Magnetiser having heard it in action at Frequent Flyers and Roggers place and gasped at the difference it made to a disc.

So much of a difference in fact that my significant other noticed straight away. For you reading this, this might not be too revelatory. but if you knew my wife's aversion to my audio obsession at the mo, the dis-interest in all things audio, who thinks music is just for background listening and all the money I've spent on gear etc for her to turn around and 'not mind' that I'd spend $600 on a piece of gear...that made that much difference to the sound?!

Hell - it must be worth it:D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup - if you are copying a CD (for your own purposes) demag both discs, burn and press the copy and you have a pressed copy with the benefits of the sound being lushous, deeper, clearer etc

well the 'effect' that this has on the original Cd lasts a few months (so I understand) but as you pull out a Cd to play, just whoop it in the demag a few seconds - different disc!

Crozzy;93580 wrote:
Where does one get such a device??

i've a feeling there are a few places you can get them from, but I got mine from Trade Me.... I think it's 'Reference Audio' in auckland who provided mine, but if you do a bit of research you would possibly find others...

(does this count as not trying to 'favourite' a seller?!) - I've noticed them on TM for quite a while. if I hadn't heard them for myself I would have thought 'what a load of bull...' but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, or listening so to speak.

put it this way I'm pretty happy with the improvements. - just putting it out there really from my own view, FF or Rogger would back me up on the difference I'm sure

Crozzy;93582 wrote:
The WAF factor makes it a big plus I suspect as well....
:D

ha - you see that's the 'not quite' bit....

she just sees it as a ridiculous waste of money. and totally un-necessary

:o

Of course, I suspect that it would work on a DVD and BR too - can't see any reason why it wouldn't!

neil;93587 wrote:
I thought the same about the Audio Desk lathe thing, If I hadn't heard the difference I would have thought it was bollocks... Maybe one day I shall acquire one.

yes Neil, that's what I was told too - the difference the lathe makes is supposed to be astounding... have you heard the differences?

Tristar;93581 wrote:
i've a feeling there are a few places you can get them from, but I got mine from Trade Me.... I think it's 'Reference Audio' in auckland who provided mine, but if you do a bit of research you would possibly find others...

(does this count as not trying to 'favourite' a seller?!) - I've noticed them on TM for quite a while. if I hadn't heard them for myself I would have thought 'what a load of bull...' but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, or listening so to speak.

put it this way I'm pretty happy with the improvements. - just putting it out there really from my own view, FF or Rogger would back me up on the difference I'm sure

All that Tristar says is true IMHO from my having owned and using one for a few months now.

Yes it works equally as well on CDR's but I have not tried it on DVD so can't comment.

I have found the sonic improvement varies from disc to disc with it making a significant difference on some and a lesser but still noticable difference on others.

For painfully obvious reasons I wont go into again who the NZ AR agent is.

FF

bigburner;93598 wrote:
She was just delighted that it wasn't $6000!

oh don't ! I was tempted there for a while - Modwright Transporter... I'd go all wobbly at the knees

frequentflyer;93592 wrote:
Yes it works equally as well on CDR's but I have not tried it on DVD so can't comment.

Off the top of my head, DVDs store their information quite differently so I'm not sure it'd work. But then, I'm gonna have to go do some research on why it would do anything to a CD that's read with a laser! Anybody got any relevant links? I'm impressed the effect was enough that even The Wife could hear it.

gfkBill;93608 wrote:
I'm impressed the effect was enough that even The Wife could hear it.

yes - very true, this from the woman who couldn't hear the difference when changing in and out a $1000 power cord over a regular bog standard one;)

neil;93587 wrote:
I thought the same about the Audio Desk lathe thing, If I hadn't heard the difference I would have thought it was bollocks... Maybe one day I shall acquire one.

I had a few disks 'shaved' on Listening Posts lathe last year. I'm sure there was an improvement in detail, bass definition and imaging, but of course there's no going back for an A/B comparison without buying the CD again. Works on DVD's as well apparently.

LP staff were convinced. Does your head in if you think about it too much :o

Not worth the cost of owning one IMO unless you're extremely dedicated to that last few % of performance, and purchase a large number of CD's of course. Or share with a mate Tristar, only ~$400 each for 3 of you :D

A fun experiment to try if you have the opportunity :)

B.

Tristar;93609 wrote:
yes - very true, this from the woman who couldn't hear the difference when changing in and out a $1000 power cord over a regular bog standard one;)

Lol.....power cord fail.

Boris;93610 wrote:
I had a few disks 'shaved' on Listening Posts lathe last year. I'm sure there was an improvement in detail, bass definition and imaging, but of course there's no going back for an A/B comparison without buying the CD again. Works on DVD's as well apparently.

I did manage to do an A/B of two identical original discs, and the difference was pretty compelling, more detail and depth.