Technics Turntables Owners Thread

And this will be IMO why the relaunch has a high probability of failure.  

Really not sure why Technics have taken this approach as they lock out all the dj's and vinyl newbies on price and make every audiophile think twice about buying one, was it looks like a $500 1970's SL1200, not a 4k table.

Hopefully the non anniversary one will be under $1200?.

The non anniversary one will be the same price - around 4 grand.

The non anniversary one will be the same price - around 4 grand.

Unlikely.

A 'special edition' will always come with a 'special price'.

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

Let people think it's extremely expensive so they can drop the 'its way cheaper then that' line on us, so we won't notice it will still be overpriced..

And this will be IMO why the relaunch has a high probability of failure.

Really not sure why Technics have taken this approach as they lock out all the dj's and vinyl newbies on price and make every audiophile think twice about buying one, was it looks like a $500 1970's SL1200, not a 4k table.

Hopefully the non anniversary one will be under $1200?.

Vinyl newbies and dj,s who think anything over $700 is overpriced ,are already well taken care of with the many chinese Hanpins .

Technics are apparently aiming to produce something of much higher quality here.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Hang on, Japanese DDs aren't supposed to interest audiophiles are they? I thought they were for the dirty herd?

Hate my recently acquired Kenwood non audiophile DD import that's usurped my LP12 and others, Japanese garbage.

Yeah....Japanese DD garbage usurped my Avid Sequel / Rega rb1000 , plus other massively overpriced belt drive wonders back in 2005.

• Like 1

Yeah....Japanese DD garbage usurped my Avid Sequel / Rega rb1000 , plus other massively overpriced belt drive wonders back in 2005.

Spend $1000 and import a quality Japanese DD deck now, most under rated, best bang for your audio buck out there.

Makes me very happy that I picked up an SP 10 Mk 2 very recently :)

• Like 1

At US 4k for the 1200, the Pioneer is still a bargin.  :)

Yea at that price they can shove it.

Going by the what hifi article $4k us is for the normal version and the limited edition will be higher again if i read it correctly.

$4000? for that money, i'll go the feickert woodpecker over at the FS section, and enjoy vinyl, now

I'm curious as to why you would say that. Apart from the availability how do you think the Feickert would outperform the Technics?

I'm wondering if already the use of the 1200 moniker is detracting from what might be a stunning turntable as there are posts here on a forum where I would expect a bit more thought about this. What if Technics had called this the SP10 MkIV? Would people be all over it like a rash?

• Like 2

I'm curious as to why you would say that. Apart from the availability how do you think the Feickert would outperform the Technics?

I'm wondering if already the use of the 1200 moniker is detracting from what might be a stunning turntable as there are posts here on a forum where I would expect a bit more thought about this. What if Technics had called this the SP10 MkIV? Would people be all over it like a rash?

If it looked like the 1200 - NO

If it looked something like the first mock up plinth and called SP10 IV - absolutely - audiophiles at least.

• Like 2

Hilarious how it is the guys with $10,000 phono cartridges and $50k + speakers who are complaining about price.

$4k for a totally new ground up quality DD turntable made in Japan (hopefully)...plus arm is cheap.

Not sure why all the negativity saying at $4k they can shove it etc.

I'll say it again....this is not a Technics SL1200MK2 remake.

If $4k is so outrageous be happy with the chinese hanpin made audio technica /pioneer/stantons available from store dj for $720 on their sales.

• Like 3

Hilarious how it is the guys with $10,000 phono cartridges and $50k + speakers who are complaining about price.

$4k for a totally new ground up quality DD turntable made in Japan (hopefully)...plus arm is cheap.

If $4k is so outrageous be happy with the chinese hanpin made audio technica /pioneer/stantons available from store dj for $720 on their sales.

$4K US will be around $6 to 8k here.

Lots of competition at that price. It would have to be very special

If it looked like the 1200 - NO

If it looked something like the first mock up plinth and called SP10 IV - absolutely - audiophiles at least.

Hey Mark.  I resemble that remark!!  :D

I was talking in general with audiophiles and the lp buying public in general. After all they are planning on making 3 million of these.

Me, I may try and pick up one of the ltd ones with the magnesium arms given its not just a rehash ( internally) of the 1200. If the initial reviews seem good. I know you think highly of their mag EPA1000 arm.

Cheers

Edited by metal beat

Hey Mark. I resemble that remark!! :D

I was talking in general with audiophiles and the lp buying public in general. After all they are planning on making 3 million of these.

Me, I may try and pick up one of the ltd ones with the magnesium arms given its not just a rehash ( internally) of the 1200. If the initial reviews seem good. I know you think highly of their mag EPA1000 arm.

Cheers

I'll probably get the ltd version too....dependant on country of manufacture , wow /flutter specs and australian pricing .

Hoping for around 5k aud....street price.

I'll probably get the ltd version too....dependant on country of manufacture , wow /flutter specs and australian pricing .

Hoping for around 5k aud....street price.

Who is the distributor here? Who would be best to ask for these?

I don't know who has what gear but mine's no where near your figures. $4K is too much for me.  I went 'vintage' with a $500 limit.  Have got 5 TTs.

• Like 1

$4K US will be around $6 to 8k here.

Lots of competition at that price. It would have to be very special

I can't think of any at that price......unless you mean belt drive ?......and they're no competion IME.

Who is the distributor here? Who would be best to ask for these?

I spoke to store dj a couple of days ago.

They were already aware of the table and said they are excited to be able to sell Technics again.

So hopefully they will get them in.....no doubt will also be available elsewhere .