Big power required from a Professional/Studio power amp

Looking for some big inexpensive watts to power the LF section (250hz and below) in my biamp system. I would like at least 500 watts into 8 ohms and either no fans or fans that come on only when driven hard.

Budget is around $600. Amps I have been considering are the Yamaha P Series and the older Crown K2's. While the Crown is strongly preferred I can't find one local and shipping a 20kg amp from the US will prove costly.

Any suggestions for cheap quality power at this price point?

Edited by kelossus

Not familiar with those you mention.

Have you considered D Class ?

Might not need as many watts and will definitely run cool.

Apparently being used especially well for subs.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned but currently I have a Crown XLS1000 on the LF section.

Not opposed to Class D as long as it has big power. The Crown is getting out-shined by my 300 watt Krell amp on the HF section.

Some pretty tough criteria mate. Naturally my preference would be an old school analog pro amp (aka. a lead sled) and the choice would be what im running now (Ashly FTX2001 series3). Cheap as dirt these days but the crunch is shipping as there heavy and mostly found in the US. 280w in to 8 or 1000w into 8 bridged like I am now driving my JBL's. Rare in that although designed for the rigours of studio/live work they were also designed with audio quality in mind.

Yeah they have noisy fans but I got a $3 mod to fix that.

Ashly ftx1001-1501-2001-amplifiers-r07.pdf

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Some pretty tough criteria mate. Naturally my preference would be an old school analog pro amp (aka. a lead sled) and the choice would be what im running now (Ashly FTX2001 series3). Cheap as dirt these days but the crunch is shipping as there heavy and mostly found in the US. 280w in to 8 or 1000w into 8 bridged like I am now driving my JBL's. Rare in that although designed for the rigours of studio/live work they were also designed with audio quality in mind.

Yeah they have noisy fans but I got a $3 mod to fix that.

Ashly ftx1001-1501-2001-amplifiers-r07.pdf

I came across your recommendation for the Ashly amps when researching. They definitely tick all the boxes besides the power output. Not really keen to run monoblocks either, my room is already a clutter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I came across your recommendation for the Ashly amps when researching. They definitely tick all the boxes besides the power output. Not really keen to run monoblocks either, my room is already a clutter.

Yeah know that feeling but when in doubt I visit @knight2001dts And come home feeling much better!

Take a look at something like the Crest 7001

Crest make a lot of high power amps that will fit your budget easily

Fans - you are unlikely to aviod fans with that kind of power unless you go for something the size of a house that has convection cooling via car sized heatsinks - and then you can kiss that budget goodbye.

if running that kind of power with audio content - are you really going to hear an 80-120mm fan?

Edited by knight2001dts
  • Like 1

I was reading a discussion about pro amps on the klipsch forum a while ago 

Wasent interested for myself because I don’t need high power amps but all threads are interesting to add to the knowledge base 

Just remembered the amps name 

https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/product-category/product-type/product-type-amplifier/

They also have the Crest brand in the stable 

Anyway have a look at ths range 

• 2 months later...

great thread - I may need it soon - I noticed one channel in my Biema amp for my mid bass is making funny noises :(

But I need "only" around 400W into 4 ohms...

...I'll check out the links above

Mike

Can highly recommend QSC amps. Big Bang for buck. Might have to replace fans with a more silent option though. We have installed these in a lot of commercial venues. Very punchy and cost effective