Best Line Level Preamp?

Hi all

I'm thinking about purchasing a Manley Chinook phono pre but would like some advice on what type of line level preamp to pair it with. 

My current system is a Perreaux SM3 pre, Pearreaux 5150b power, Yamaha NS1000's and a Kenwood KD650 TT. 

Thanks for your time.

thumbnail_20190228_211323.jpg

thumbnail_20190228_211328.jpg

Budget? There are some very good preamps with very good phono stages included so you could kill two birds with one stone at possibly a better price.

Edited by Ittaku

Ok, I am a ME fan. A friend of mine had Perreaux pre/pwr combo like you have many years ago. When ME pre was used instead of Perreaux, the difference in SQ was stark. Even my friend was shocked that he had to get ME. This was even well before ME had factory upgrades to Alps knobs, and better power supply unit. 

Edit: Can't say ME is the best but one of better one than many out there.

Edited by vinilink

6 minutes ago, tcliffo1 said:
On 01/03/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ittaku said:
Budget? There are some very good preamps with very good phono stages included so you could kill two birds with one stone at possibly a better price.

2k budget

This is almost spot on your price range without the phono stage then. Definitely the best bang for your buck in that price range. The design is not dissimilar to the supratek cabernet preamp at half the price.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Consonance-Cyber222-MKII-Pre-Amplifier.html

As the SM3 preamp has a vg phono section (even with adjustable resistor loading), are you changing preamp just because you wish to update a few years, or is something the matter?
Hey :)

I've been saving for quite some time for a good seperate phono section. I'm just not too sure the SM3 as a stand alone line level pre would do a phono stage like the Chinook justice.

So yeah just seeking some opinions on that.

Guest deanB
3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

This is almost spot on your price range without the phono stage then. Definitely the best bang for your buck in that price range. The design is not dissimilar to the supratek cabernet preamp at half the price.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Consonance-Cyber222-MKII-Pre-Amplifier.html

An interesting suggestion. It's a model that Greg Osborn doesn't stock. I asked him about it years ago and he will import one although I'm not sure if the no risk 30 day trial will apply.

Have you had listening experience with the Cyber 222? 6SN7 and 5AR4 float my boat, I'm sure I would like this preamp. Consonance make great sounding gear.

5 minutes ago, deanB said:

An interesting suggestion. It's a model that Greg Osborn doesn't stock. I asked him about it years ago and he will import one although I'm not sure if the no risk 30 day trial will apply.

Have you had listening experience with the Cyber 222? 6SN7 and 5AR4 float my boat, I'm sure I would like this preamp. Consonance make great sounding gear.

Might have been the original I listened to in someone else's system, not my own; I don't recall seeing MKII mentioned but it sounds lovely, extended frequency response, and beautiful body to music. The only disadvantage is rolling 6SN7s I think you can't fit any of the oversized special release ones that are available these days as I run in my own Supratek preamp which is a similar valve complement.

On 01/03/2019 at 2:59 PM, tcliffo1 said:

Manley Chinook phono pre but would like some advice on what type of line level preamp to pair it with. 

My current system is a Perreaux SM3 pre, Pearreaux 5150b power, Yamaha NS1000's

Your

Manley Chinook has a massive 60db of gain!. 

Your Perreaux PMF5150B only needs 1.5v in to give 500w out!. 

The NS1000 need only a few watts to be loud!.

Can you see where I'm going with this? and there's no preamp in this at all, and you'll have all the gain you need without any preamp.

So what you need is a preamp that has unity gain or very little gain, there is the $699usd Schitt Freya preamp which is three preamps in one so you can change your sound as you please, unity gain solid/state,  low 2.5 x gain Tube, or unity gain passive. The passive "may" and I stress "may", sound a little dynamically flat, as it's not suited to drive into the 5150B's  lousy low 10kohm input impedance. 

This is what I would suggest you use. It has everything remote control 5 x inputs 2 x outputs, balanced or single ended, and the best mechanical volume control there is, 128 stepped relay controlled.   https://www.schiit.com/products/freya

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1