Teeny JBL 4312M II - thoughts?

Hi all, 

Just wondering if any JBL fans can tell me if these are a legitimate miniaturised JBL monitor for small spaces and near-field listening, or (and this seems more likely) mass produced junk trading off aesthetics to take money from 'aspirational' JBL owners like myself.

The form factor and cost suggest the latter, but it does appear to have a legitimate tweeter in there. 

My use case is "moderate volume listening in a small room, likely on a bookshelf, not jazz (!), powered by a reasonable 70wpc integrated, wanting something noticeably different to my current KEF and Monitor Audio stuff". I should also mention that I'm not a bass head, so I'm not too fussed about bass extension.

43 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

how about these,all original and A1condition,JBL S38
8" 3way
170 w power handling
89db sensiyivity

1508594530__201.jpg.cdcb5b597de35a8bb695cdebbcb62024.jpg

jbl s38 001.JPG

jbl s38 003.JPG

jbl s38 005.JPG

I honestly have no idea - based on looks alone I'd guess they're not really in the JBL Synthesis "real JBL" line up, but then neither is the Studio 530 and those get a lot of love.

At the moment the 4312M II suits my needs on paper, hence the question on them specifically. The above look a bit too bassy for my room (which currently has Monitor Audio B2s (old front ported ones), which are also too bassy.

3 hours ago, ray4410 said:

how about these,all original and A1condition,JBL S38
8" 3way
170 w power handling
89db sensiyivity

1508594530__201.jpg.cdcb5b597de35a8bb695cdebbcb62024.jpg

jbl s38 001.JPG

jbl s38 003.JPG

jbl s38 005.JPG

Looks like Willy Wonka's mum sat on them!!!

7 hours ago, twofires said:

Hi all, 

Just wondering if any JBL fans can tell me if these are a legitimate miniaturised JBL monitor for small spaces and near-field listening, or (and this seems more likely) mass produced junk trading off aesthetics to take money from 'aspirational' JBL owners like myself.

The form factor and cost suggest the latter, but it does appear to have a legitimate tweeter in there. 

My use case is "moderate volume listening in a small room, likely on a bookshelf, not jazz (!), powered by a reasonable 70wpc integrated, wanting something noticeably different to my current KEF and Monitor Audio stuff". I should also mention that I'm not a bass head, so I'm not too fussed about bass extension.

Hi twofires,

Where are you thinking of buying these speakers (4312M mkii) from?

Are you able to audition them? 

And last question, What price range are you looking at?

http://www.jbl-tw.com/uploads/files/4312M II (English).pdf

Regards

5L15

ps, 

L20T’s are a nice little speaker too!

1 hour ago, 5L15 said:

Hi twofires,

Where are you thinking of buying these speakers (4312M mkii) from?

Are you able to audition them? 

And last question, What price range are you looking at?

http://www.jbl-tw.com/uploads/files/4312M II (English).pdf

Regards

5L15

ps, 

L20T’s are a nice little speaker too!

It seems that the only store in Victoria to list them is Klapp AV. I haven't checked if they have them out for audition yet, as it's on the other side of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. Basically I'm trying to figure out if they are worth the bother. I'd also prefer Walnut veneer, and they only list the black. 

As for price range, I could probably stretch to $2500 if I'm patient, but probably not the $4k+ the rest of the range seems to cost.

13 minutes ago, twofires said:

It seems that the only store in Victoria to list them is Klapp AV. I haven't checked if they have them out for audition yet, as it's on the other side of the city and a bit of a pain to get to. Basically I'm trying to figure out if they are worth the bother. I'd also prefer Walnut veneer, and they only list the black. 

As for price range, I could probably stretch to $2500 if I'm patient, but probably not the $4k+ the rest of the range seems to cost.

It’s best to call Klapp AV and try to organise to hear them for yourself (even if it is a pain in the arse), but I suspect that they are a special order item.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

You could also enquire about these babies?

I did via DM - asked if the seller was interested in selling them without the stands, and if so how much, and could I come and hear them. No reply, which I assume means no. Fair enough.

13 minutes ago, twofires said:

I did via DM - asked if the seller was interested in selling them without the stands, and if so how much, and could I come and hear them. No reply, which I assume means no. Fair enough.

The seller might be away or hasn’t realised they have a pm.

Just now, 5L15 said:

I considered that, but they've definitely viewed the message according to the read status on the thread. If they end up replying, I'll definitely check them out, but signs point to no. Which is fine. I get preferring not to split items when trying to clear house. 

5 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

they were also listed on ebay for $600.00,the listing has ended.

2 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

they were also listed on ebay for $600.00,the listing has ended.

Did they sell?

The seller could of got an offer post auction if they didn’t sell?

I saw that too - I assume these things together mean they've sold via Ebay, but with a cash in hand agreement to avoid fees. I've come to similar arrangements with sellers in the past.

Anyway, we're getting a little off track here.

Doesn't seem like many people outside of Japan have heard this one. 

Sorry about that!

I believe the 4312m’s and most other desirable JBL’s are aimed at Asia/Japan as that’s where the money is,  Kenrick’s speakers are a testament to that (you won’t find a shop like that in Australia).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, I just took a look at these in the flesh. They're a toy. Didn't even get to plugging them - they seem aimed at a novelty/nostalgia market. The cabinet quality looks like garden variety Yamaha surround sound speaker build (think NS-E56 or similar). They're cute,  but probably not worth $1499.

I've heard them, they're OK. At the ebay listing price they would have been OK. They do need to be placed horizontally due to the offset MF/HF drivers and with them in the centre.

If you're not addicted to the vintage stuff, the LSR305/8 are excellent.

If you can DIY, they wouldn't be hard to clone as JBL provides all the details needed to do so, and the drivers will be readily available.

• Like 1