Help sought mounting an iPod Classic in the car

Hi Guys,

Due to the current trend of making vehicle dashboards curved and sloped I am restricted as to where I can mount a suction holder for an iPod Classic (160gb). I don't want to mount it to the windscreen because the severe heat build up causes these to detach whilst driving. In Perth WA so summer temps always high, north of 35C. I though I had the answer, but narrowly missed disaster when I bought a narrow thin profiled stick on magnetic holder, was about to mount it and whilst reading the 'destructions'  found that the magnet would have wiped the disc drive of the iPod!!!

My dashboard is also made of brushed stainless steel and dimpled plastics (Nissan Murano), so even stick on pads are a struggle.

I have been told that you can get a flat metal plate that fixes under the trim edges, then you can mount a suction cup to that flat metal surface, or stick it on with some 3M double sided tape.

I can turn my hands to most things so any DIY ideas would also be welcome.

Thanks

Dr.Funk

iPhone 6 and iPod Touch are different beasts. Information is written to them on a series of electronic components called NAND chips. As the chips have no moving parts, data can be transferred quickly, far exceeding the speeds available to CD or hard-drive media.

iPod Classics have 160gb hard drives in the traditional sense, meaning a spinning magnetic disc that has an arm move across when it writes data. Because it is a magnetic disc, a powerful magnet like the ones used for mounting phones, will erase the data on the disc.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Regards

Dr. Funk

Hi Dolphy,

Thanks for your response, I have been looking at vent mounts. I am trying to find one that I can adapt so that the holder and the iPod does not block the vent. During our hot summers I need all the cool air I can get, it's 42C here at the moment in the hills.

I need to find one that is off centre or one that I can set the socket for the ball joint lower down. I am quite resourceful and am confident I can make something that would work. I don't mind buying two units to enable me to make one good one, I just have to find a reasonable starting point..

Cheers