Med/High end vintage TT recomendations

Dear Colleagues,

I am interested in getting a vintage TT and I'm looking for recommendations that would be equal or above my current Clear Audio Emotion TT which runs on a Ortofon Quintet Black MC. I love the natural wood plinth look so I am already drawn to the Micro Seiki BL series and the Denon DP series. Belt or DD either is fine. A close resource to me has turned me on to the fact that the mid/high end vintage TTs are simply better built and outclass all current equivalent TTs unless your prepared to spend mega bucks (over $5k) to get over the regular commercial decks to receive the same quality componentry and performance that vintage decks have in spades.. Here to learn from others with the experience, thanks to all in advance for improving my education.   

I love the older Garrards, but they need tlc, and setup skills, and cash!  I’m working my way up to one! Usual suspects include Garrard 301 or 401, and Thorens 124 to get that wonderful wood plinth/old table vibe.

Depends on what you mean by “vintage”, and also whether you’re after a project or a ready to go option.

Budget (unfortunately) will be in play here.  I see you refer to over $5k as “megabucks”, whereas some vintage tables would easily quadruple that number - it’s all relative!

Check out companies like Audio Grail for inspiration (leave credit card at the door).

There.  One can o’worms open for you!

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

Orpheus Silex but not likely to be restored properly
Thorens 150
AR ar/xb
Stanton Gyropoise
Perpetuum Ebner with auto crap removed
( a vastly underrated TT because of auto change)
Linn LP 12
Ariston RD
Sota Saphire
Connoisseur (not regarded highly because 10 inch platter)
Note: no rim drive (except the PE) as they are not worth the money they command

I would like to play with a Garrard at some stage.

301 apparently sounds better but I like the look of the 401.

Something like this one.

Edited by Tim D

What sort of budget are we trying to stick to with these recommendations?

Many of the late 70s and early 80s Japanese domestic market units from Pioneer, Kenwood, Micro Seiki, Denon, JVC, Yamaha and others are excellent.

I paid $3000 for a one owner Pink Triangle Anniversary fitted with a SME 5 arm, it was complete with all boxes and manuals, this turn table today will run rings around most turn tables and there are bargains to be had if you look around.

P7230019s.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone so far. ??

To help with further recommendations I would be looking between $1500-$3000 as a budget. Project (as in research correct tone arm and cart) YES! or good to go straight up YES!. I mainly listen to classic 60s, 70s, 80s classic rock and hard rock. 

My prime selection criteria at the moment can only be based on the already known sound of my current system. A Clear Audio Emotion. So that is my measuring stick. I have been told by a very reputable serviceman that vintage TTs for around the same price will be infinitely better on all fronts. So I would be looking to trade up hence the budget of around $1500-$3000. The Clear Audio was around $3000 when I bought new in 2012.   

23 minutes ago, SimonS said:

Micro seiki BL91-beautiful table-wish I had not sold mine-it was in near perfect condition,went for around$2.5k as I recall,to a member on here

Hi Simon, 

I love the wood grain look in those beautiful TTs. I have heard nothing but praise for the BL 91. It is definitely a front runner for me. How would you describe the sound? What cart and tone arm did you have? What did you mainly listen to on it?

Many thanks, - Will 

8 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I love the older Garrards, but they need tlc, and setup skills, and cash!  I’m working my way up to one! Usual suspects include Garrard 301 or 401, and Thorens 124 to get that wonderful wood plinth/old table vibe.

Depends on what you mean by “vintage”, and also whether you’re after a project or a ready to go option.

Budget (unfortunately) will be in play here.  I see you refer to over $5k as “megabucks”, whereas some vintage tables would easily quadruple that number - it’s all relative!

Check out companies like Audio Grail for inspiration (leave credit card at the door).

There.  One can o’worms open for you!

Based on my current system Clear Audio Emotion so around $1500- $3000 budget. Project or good to go, either is fine I can be patient. 

2 hours ago, will1066ad said:

Hi Simon, 

I love the wood grain look in those beautiful TTs. I have heard nothing but praise for the BL 91. It is definitely a front runner for me. How would you describe the sound? What cart and tone arm did you have? What did you mainly listen to on it?

Many thanks, - Will 

The tone arm was a MA 707-(micro)

cartridges were various,but I liked and used a AT OC9 my 2 a lot 

sound was very pleasing-fast and detailed,but not in your face-from memory a really nice warm but tight bass

6 hours ago, vwo60 said:

I paid $3000 for a one owner Pink Triangle Anniversary fitted with a SME 5 arm, it was complete with all boxes and manuals, this turn table today will run rings around most turn tables and there are bargains to be had if you look around.

P7230019s.jpg

Loverly set up there you have...in particular that plinth cover over your tube!? Amp..very stunning!

Custom jobby!?! and if so who!?!

1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Loverly set up there you have...in particular that plinth cover over your tube!? Amp..very stunning!

Custom jobby!?! and if so who!?!

The Icon Audio LA4 mk 111 pre amp comes with the tube cover. http://www.iconaudio.com/main-products/la4-mk-iii-pre-amplifier/      http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Brochure-Complete-July-2018.pdf

You could check out these beautiful German restorations of Thorens turntables. They aren't cheap but I wish my TD160 looked as good. https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Thorens-Audio-Record-Players-Turntables/48647/bn_6342337

BTW they have a 100% Ebay rating which is quite unusual.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmid

Check out Hifido in Japan for a selection of refurbished vintage turntables. I reasoned as you did and bought a vintage turntable where I figured bang - for - buck factor was strong. Buy with confidence as they ship turntables in custom built boxes. 

I ended up with a Kenwood KP - 9010, which was manufactured in the twilight of the vinyl age and don’t regret my purchase. 

http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-KP-1100.html

• Like 1

On 01/03/2019 at 12:16 AM, Goatboy said:

Check out Hifido in Japan for a selection of refurbished vintage turntables. I reasoned as you did and bought a vintage turntable where I figured bang - for - buck factor was strong. Buy with confidence as they ship turntables in custom built boxes. 

I ended up with a Kenwood KP - 9010, which was manufactured in the twilight of the vinyl age and don’t regret my purchase. 

http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-KP-1100.html

Yep, or something similar to this (Pioneer PL-50LII), with plenty of $$ left for a cart or phono upgrade?:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PL-50LII.html 

IMG_9594.JPG