Another approach to interconnect and speaker cable design

Came across this website for interconnect, promoting another approach to it's design - https://www.wireonwire.com/

The site describes it as "HiFi audio interconnects and speaker cables with REDpurl™ tunable geometry.  A unique adaptive geometry releasing the full potential of your audio system"; "Our ground-breaking REDpurl™ geometry moves cable design significantly forward with its asymmetric, intersecting, non-parallel conductors addressing the challenges of crosstalk, capacitance and harmonic modes found in conventionally manufactured interconnects."

Expeience880_audio_cable_HiFi_Critic_Rec

When I first saw the pic I thought it was Kimber PJB (the colours in one of their cables looks similar at first glance), but it's different.  Kimber have 3 wires braided (+, -, and drain earth). On watching the video on the site (which I found a little overwheming in the descriptors being used and the insipid music being played), I realised that this cable has a + and -ve wire, and what appears to be a plastic spacing braid. 

But that's not the feature of these cables.  Back to their website's description:

"An important part of the REDpurl™ design is its ability to combine different conductor gauges to fully reproduce tonal and dynamic colour across the music spectrum whilst maintaining an open, transparent and emotionally engaging sound.  REDpurl™ adaptive geometry also allows our cables to be tuned at home or ultra-tuned in our workshop letting you explore the full potential of your audio system by making it easier to electronically match components.  The harmony between our adaptive geometry and carefully selected conductors produces the finest of musical experiences."

Seems to be impressive, doesn't it.  But what does it actually mean?  A good question.  What I'm thinking they mean, by watching the video, is the cables can be "tuned" by putting some "Wire On Wire" plastic spacers in the braid to give a bit more space between the wires in places.  Think poking a pencil in between the braid to get the idea. 

Isn't that innovative?  I've never heard of that before!  "Asymmetric intersecting geometry non-parallel ultra-tunable conductors" - how marvelous!  How do they develop technology to push the outer envelope in cable technology. I must re-read their website, because I'm sure the answer is hidden somewhere in those words of science they present. 

• Haha 1

Guest Muon N'

Not unique.

Edit: Gawd, I hate that silly marketing speak to make something seem like It's more special than what it is.

The spacing and non parallel construction cancels out some of the interactions of the EMF's, while some interaction is still present. At least that's how I see such construction. Likely sound nice, but I'd not be paying additional for the marketing speak.

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

OK, after having a good read of all the hyperbole, I can say nothing there is unique, spacing - nup / helex type design-nup / using different gauges-nup/ silver plated copper - nup, and being able to manipulate the cable the way they do is not impressive at all.

Lots of diy'ers play with all these different aspect of construction.

All just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

ultra-tuned

Get a free pair every time you get your car serviced.

Feline, you'd do yourself a much greater service getting the Red Pill than the REDpurl.

Edited by A9X
  • Like 3

It's really really hard to over look the irony, that if the very small changes/values of the cable impedance are relevant ..... that what is needed is a very tightly controlled cable geometry,    ie. one where the distance between conductors is very very tightly controlled.

This cable achieves the opposite of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Muon N'

I'll stick to cable and parts sellers that don't include deceptive hyperbole.

We have some good ones locally that are honest and make fine audio cables.

3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I'll stick to cable and parts sellers that don't include deceptive hyperbole.

That brings you down to about 1% of the cable manufacturers... But I don't blame you; I try not to buy anything from any company that sells audiophile power cables.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'
8 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

That brings you down to about 1% of the cable manufacturers... But I don't blame you; I try not to buy anything from any company that sells audiophile power cables.

I refrain from using that term or applying it, as is means different things to different people and has been adopted as a negative use word which is not It's original meaning/use.

I can say I don't use cable from the hardware any more.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From their website:

60 Day money back guarantee: Audition our cables in the comfort of your own home and if you are not completely satisfied you can send them back to us for a full refund within 60 days of purchase. 

Anyone prepared to give them a try?

• 4 weeks later...

The winding looks like a dogs breakfast.

But it may work. Years ago I used Mapleshade audio cables, which were designed to be laid non parrallel, and sounded best with each run and grounding wire crossing over each other randomly in big loops, so the space behind your equipment looked like a big birds nest of cables. It worked amazingly performance wise, but the look of it set my OCD on edge, my teeth jittering to the point of shattering. So I gave in and removed it all, and went back to normal cables.

Those Mapleshade cables were designed by Pierre Sprey, father of the F-16 and A-10, who is also an audiophile.