What are the best three amps (integrated or pre/power) that you have ever heard?"

Thought I would start a thread by asking "What are the best three amps (integrated or pre/power) that you have ever heard?"

I borrowed from Elson Silva back in 2012 a pair of 200w SET (His words not mine) mono's using 16 x 6l6 tubes per amp and 2 x coke can size cap's on each amp....Unbelievable 

New stuff.....dan d'agostino momentum integrated......Unbelievable

Gryphon Mephisto Mono's..........as per above

• Like 2

*UPDATED* Don't know how I forgot about the Naims

D'Agostino Momentums

VTL Siegfried Ref monos

Naim Statement 

All with their matching preamps

Still a lot I would like to hear

Edited by Bunno77
update
  • Like 1

How does one listen to only the amplifier?

Spose mine would be my favourite Harman/Kardon HK990 into Vaf i66.

The Primare spa23 at a friends house powering Vaf i93's and whatever Darthlaker had when I visited, Ayre + Vandersteen?

• Like 2

On 27/02/2019 at 5:31 PM, warweary said:

Spose mine would be my favourite Harman/Kardon HK990 into Vaf i66.

The Primare spa23 at a friends house powering Vaf i93's and whatever Darthlaker had when I visited, Ayre + Vandersteen?

Ayre MX-R Twenty monoblock's......love 'em!  :D

• Like 3

The best amplifier sounding amplifier is an big wattage OTL tube, but trying to find a speaker that they can drive top to bottom 20hz to 20khz, without any hindrance, that is not suspect itself in any parameter is a big ask. 

Cheers George  

35 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

The best amplifier sounding amplifier is an big wattage OTL tube, but trying to find a speaker that they can drive top to bottom 20hz to 20khz, without any hindrance, that is not suspect itself in any parameter is a big ask. 

Cheers George  

Interesting. So what are the 3 best OTL tube amps you've heard?

24 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

So what are the 3 best OTL tube amps you've heard?

I've heard 2 x Atmasphere's and 1 x Transcendence, speakers were very easy load very efficient,  very coloured and didn't go down low. Yet you can hear this amp topology is the finest. It reminded me very much of "direct tube drive"  ESL speakers

Chers George

Edited by georgehifi

agree with the poster who asked how do you "hear"the amplifier?

proportionally speakers are 70% of the end result,drives about 15% ,environment(slab/timber/room construction etc) about 10% and amps 5 % or even less" .change anything and there will be a difference --better or worse is purely subjective--peripherals eg cables?  well you are a marketers dream when you open the wallet each time.

just my observations after 50 years of enthusiasm

• Like 1

On 07/03/2019 at 9:09 PM, davidjw said:

how do you "hear"the amplifier?

I also agree. I think you hear the pre amp and the room more so than the amp which makes the showroom listening just fun and games compared to when you get it back to your room. Of course the amp has big impact on sound but I have a room that influences the sound more than all of the above. But hey it's all good fun.

Edited by Hazzzy

On 27/02/2019 at 6:01 PM, warweary said:

I mentioned the amplifiers that were in the systems I thought sounded the best to me. It is thus not only the amplifier but a combination of factors, which the amplifier is part of.

To try to listen only to the amplifier, the best approach I have come up with so far is to swap the amplifier out with another one in the same system and room.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 12:57 PM, ashmeow said:

Thought I would start a thread by asking "What are the best three amps (integrated or pre/power) that you have ever heard?"

I borrowed from Elson Silva back in 2012 a pair of 200w SET (His words not mine) mono's using 16 x 6l6 tubes per amp and 2 x coke can size cap's on each amp....Unbelievable 

New stuff.....dan d'agostino momentum integrated......Unbelievable

Gryphon Mephisto Mono's..........as per above

Cymer Kt120 dual mono 100w. Elson's amps are fabulous.

ME50 upgraded (state of the "Art")

• Like 1

Leema Tucana fed by Leema Antila CD through some Legend floorstanders (can’t remember which).  Amazingly rich, textured and detailed. 

Naim NAC72 pre and NAP140 power through Legend Joey II (my system), once I put in NACA 5 speaker cables. 

Id like to try a Naim NAP200 ... 

• Like 2

My feelings are it's all about synergy.

For instance if you have the Gale 401As that @Wimbo lists above they will need a high current powerful amp to get the best out of them.

If you have easy to drive,  efficient speakers, you can get amazing sound from lower powered amps like SETs.

Having said that I went from Tannoy Monitor Gold 15s driven by Cary 805AE valve monobloks to inefficient Magico speakers driven by 300+W class AB integrated and now to Accuphase Class A 60W. The Accuphase/Magico combination is streets ahead of the Cary/Tannoy combination.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...