New member from Sydney

Hamish1

Hi everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. 

I have been interested in audio since I was a teenager when my dad bought me a Pioneer amplifier and CD player and B&W speakers (I can't remember which models). 

I currently have an Arcam FMJ A19 amplifier, KEF LS50 speakers on Atacama Nexus 6i stands (which I bought on the forum last week and are great), a Bluesound Node 2i and an Audiolab M-Dac.

I have been researching a higher powered replacement for the A19 - I am hoping to find something second hand because my wife is unlikely to tolerate a purchase above $1000! Some of the options I have seen so far are a Redgum rgi60 or a Burson PI-160 (based on Cafad's reviews). I am also considering getting something from Japan as my brother lives there and can help with logistics. I don't mind if it's an older amp. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. 

Thanks

Hamish

welcome Hamish, ahh the finance controller, regular issue with this hobby, you specify a budget, people suggest well over it

ie. Electrocompaniet ECI-1 in classifieds for $1700, but class A and dual mono 100wpc, now thats high powered , enjoy the site

On 27/02/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hamish1 said:

my brother lives there and can help with logistics. I don't mind if it's an older amp.

Oh you lucky lucky man. Welcome to the site btw.

Redgum, Aussie goodness, had several of them and...they were when I was in my infancy as an audiophool.

I moved onto more foolishness and it's a continual disease.

But...having that Japan contact...omg. Do you realise that that is audiophile[phool] heaven?

My god man! Stop posting here and start apologising for all the slights you've done to your brother since you were kids(your remembering now aren't you...) and kiss up to him and then ask him about HiFiDo and Yahoo JP and....oh the list is long, so very very long.

Your Redgum RGi 120, play it, enjoy it and then get bro to look for a 907Alpha series Sansui or a mammoth Onkyo image.thumb.png.4a1f1dd3af9cb56ed8d1892ade78e1c3.pngM-510 and the list is so very long. You'll like the power of the Redgum and the ease with which it's drives your speakers and most you could likely put up but the vintage delectables available from Japan make Redgum and many other manufactures pale in comparison.

Your bro gives you an in few here have but would love to have.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Luc! 

I spent some time looking for a Sansui 907MR on Yahoo JP but then the Redgum came up. I picked it up late last night so haven't heard through my system yet but no regrets!

I agree that I'll need to take advantage of having a brother in Japan. I've asked him to keep an eye out for me. I suspect he'll want to see that apology letter first - there's a bit for me to cover in there. 

I had a chance to try out the Redgum last night. It sounds great! I don’t have the vocabulary for a description other than to say the sound is bigger and more effortless and the bass has improved - which was the effect I was after.

Here is a photo of my new setup:

EA1A9E3B-BAFA-433C-BFAD-1F1D629D1F67.jpeg

Welcome @Hamish1 .  Your LS50s certainly benefit from a bit of power behind them.   

Lovely looking room there. Is it possible for the speakers to be pulled out a bit from the wall and that cabinet? (you may already do this for serious listening, if so please ignore me)

Thanks @Ugly. I hadn’t thought of doing that - I’ll try moving them out a bit. I’m constrained a bit because they need to be positioned in a way that minimises the chance of collisions with children!

Thanks [mention=145233]Ugly[/mention]. I hadn’t thought of doing that - I’ll try moving them out a bit. I’m constrained a bit because they need to be positioned in a way that minimises the chance of collisions with children!
I completely understand mate. I reckon most on here have to compromise one way or the other with our systems!

If you have some time to play with positioning, try moving out in increments. It's also worth experimenting with distance apart and toe in until you find the sweet spot. Have fun.