"Rage" - what is your relationship with the ABC-TV show?

I recall when "Rage" first screened back in 1987.  For my group is was essential viewing, showing latest and vintage alternate artists that did not get screened on the more pop-oriented music video shows of the time.  I recall watching the early episodes, trying to stay awake until about 2am when the heavy-metal segment started.  As the years went on the guest programmers were often interesting, as was the musical selection. 

For many years whenever I've tried to watch it I've not been interested in the music.  I would like to find it as stimulating and engaging as I used to, but the magic's not there.  Admittedly, it's reflecting a more current style of music that I'm not very interested in.  I can't hold that against it, as when I was an avid viewer it was showing current music of the day with older music mixed in, however, I feel that it had less of a mainstream emphasis which I feel exists today. 

@audiofeline You are right re the greater mainstream influence. Among other things it's a function of greater exposure - more broadcast time. Across the various ABC digital channels the 1-3hr blocks of Rage screen 6-7 times a week (additional to Fri and Sat programs). The guest programmers are the best part still, as based on the guest you can usually predict if it's worth watching and there's also a 1hr preview Sat morn 9.30am or 10am (which is also repeated a couple of other times during the week).

But what the kids want is the latest release (as in today and not a week ago...). As such this gives the higher ratings and off we go. To the large extent it should reflect the tastes of todays youth, however it shouldn't be purely a ratings game - resulting in the mainstream video soup. Honestly I've given up trying to watch Friday nights long ago. I have and will PVR the Sat morn preview and Sat night show if the guest draws some interest for a viewing at a later date (skipping not so good songs). Not the same thing as in early, mid, late 90's, but "it is what it is and it ain't what it used to be". At least we've got it and it is at the forefront of achievement in music video worldwide. 

I had friends visiting from Norway a couple of years back and over Sat morning breakfast/coffee the Rage was in the background. They couldn't believe their eyes - "we've seen so many Rage videos on youtube and always wondered what the hell it was - had no clue it was a FTA show in Aus". It certainly made me proud.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

I was never a stay up (or in) for Rage person, but I had a great relationship with it via 4 hour VHS tape the next morning (and later 8 hours using 1/2 speed record). Thanks to the titling of each video I could FF and just watch what I wanted in not much time.

These were the olden days before the internet/poor student, where I would read music magazines or here the last half of something on the radio, look out for it on Rage, and then make a decision about where my limited cash was going to be spent.

When JJJ started in Perth in late 1989 (30 years coming up), we used to call it "Rage on the radio".

I'd say that my interest waned in the late 90s, once I got web access. All of a sudden these new bands were at my fingertips via a search or download. My record and fast forward days were over.

Edited by enikoy
  • Like 1

The very early days of Rage were ok, but it was always a case of watching a lot of dross to score a few good ones.

IMO, Rage was never as good as channel 10's 'John Torv's Music Video' (later hosted by Basia Bonkowski), or the ABC's 'Rock Arena' and 'BeatBox'.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

I quite often stayed up for it on a Friday night to see at least 30 mins of the new film clips that you probably wouldn't see anywhere else.  And used to check the TV guide for who the guest programmer was on Saturday.

Once I got the internets (rather late in the game I have to admit) I used to check what the playlists were every week to see who was the guest programmer and when I should record for the clips I wanted to see.

Now days it's mostly just having it on Saturday morning after I get up and hoping that they've gotten past the new pop songs and it's not some crappy guest programmer.  At which point I might check out the playlist to see what they're playing that night.

Still.  It was, and still is something that shouldn't go away.  They always played music that you wouldn't find on the commercial networks, whether because of the content (swearing, nudity or whatever) and they could play it later, or just because it wasn't 'normal' and commercial.  That is a good thing.

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2

When I first heard about it from a friend I thought it was a gift from the god's.  I taped it each Friday and Saturday night and watched the clips, fast forwarding through the stuff I didn't like.  As I got a bit older I stayed up late and watched as much as I could, then hitting the record button when I was done.  Guitar and metal nights were the best, myself and my mates would sit there drinking and analysing the video clips. 

Alas, I haven't bothered with it for years now...

• Like 1

I used to come back from work as a waiter in my last two years of school (in the late 80s) and watch it until there were too many boring songs in a row and I fell into bed. Good times!

Edited by Juzbear
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, koputai said:

or the ABC's 'Rock Arena' and 'BeatBox'.

Yeah Beatbox was good. A lot edgier than Rage and it was on in the afternoon! I remember they filmed double blind test on the effects of drugs and alcohol. People in the group were given very strong weed or booze or placebos. It all got completely out of control with everyone trying what everyone else had. It was hilarious!

Edited by Chigurh
  • Like 2