Bi-wiring speaker cable question

rob2

When bi-wiring speaker cable (running 2 speaker cables together for each stereo speaker), can the cables be different types, as in different brands and models?
I have some different cables and I'm aware of the different audio characteristics of each, and I would like to combine the sounds of 2 cables - the focus and dynamics of one with the detail and tonality of another.
Would the electrical characteristics of each cable 'fight' with the other cable, or, would undue load be placed on the amp (or speakers)?
(I have seen banana plugs which take 2 other banana plugs, so I could plug 2 cables into 1 banana plug which would in turn be plugged into the amp/speaker.)

Edited by rob2

There's nothing wrong with combining cables but the effect is unlikely to be exactly the combination of the sonic signature of both cables; it'll be unpredictable. There's no harm in trying, though. Unless they're high capacitance cables, they will only decrease the load on the amp, and the speakers won't care either way.

Guest Muon N'

Try it and see if you like the result.

If different gauges use the thicker on the low frequency terminals, at least that's what I did with a friends bi-wire situation. When you bi-wire one cable will feed the high frequency psection of the crossovers and the other the low frequency section adn those drivers. So the high frequency feed will usall7y be to the tweeter and the low to the bas/mid drivers.

What amp and speakers?

What cables are they?

Do I know what I'm doing? who knows :)

Edited by Muon N'

5 hours ago, rob2 said:

When bi-wiring speaker cable (running 2 speaker cables together for each stereo speaker), can the cables be different types, as in different brands and models?
Would the electrical characteristics of each cable 'fight' with the other cable, or, would undue load be placed on the amp (or speakers)?

Yes, yes, no.

This exact configuration was suggested by an audio store as a possible change for a pair of speaker cables as they were known for being quite bass heavy and lacking high frequency detail. It was suggested that I combine a lighter gauge cable from the same brand and biwire them to the high stage and wire the heavier gauge in the low stage at the speaker end. Decided to just invest in another single cable so never found out if it made a difference. Interested to see what you find.

Thanks for your comments fellas. The speakers do not have a double set of binding posts, hence my idea of using a 'double' banana plug. But I think you're right - I'll just have to do it and find out if I like it. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to damage anything.

Guest Muon N'

Just for future reference this is not what is meant by the bi-wire term in the hobby, Rob, but we learn all this as we go and we all start at the beginning :thumb:

You are correct, it won't damage anything.

24 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

You are correct, it won't damage anything.

Again, there are some very rare cables that have very high capacitance (was it Naim? Can't remember.) Doing this will add the capacitance between the two cables. There have been cases of amps being destroyed with very high capacitance cables. Note that this is exceptionally unlikely but never say never.

Guest Muon N'
19 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Again, there are some very rare cables that have very high capacitance (was it Naim? Can't remember.) Doing this will add the capacitance between the two cables. There have been cases of amps being destroyed with very high capacitance cables. Note that this is exceptionally unlikely but never say never.

The old Naim amps went into oscillation when a high capacitance cable was used with them.

Capacitance isn't a big issue with most amps.

Are his amps Naim?

Naim cables were very low capacitance and used with their amps for stability.

Edit: something like the DIY cat5 braided construction cables were a big no-no for use with the older Naim amps (high capacitance), not sure but the newer amps by Naim are more stable in this regard, but I may be wrong.

Edited by Muon N'

13 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

The old Naim amps went into oscillation when a high capacitance cable was used with them.

Capacitance isn't a big issue with most amps.

Are his amps Naim?

Naim cables were very low capacitance and used with their amps for stability.

Edit: something like the DIY cat5 braided construction cables were a big no-no for use with the older Naim amps (high capacitance), not sure but the newer amps by Naim are more stable in this regard, but I may be wrong.

Ah okay, I had it the wrong way around. Naim amps, not cables.

Guest Muon N'
Just now, Ittaku said:

We all have memory farts, I'm prolific :thumb:

Every time we recall a memory it has a chance of corruption as we recall and store it again, stupid human brain :D

Just now, Muon N' said:

We all have memory farts, I'm prolific :thumb:

Every time we recall a memory it has a chance of corruption as we recall and store it again, stupid human brain :D

Memory is amazing. The way we can extract a tiny bit of information with the "tip of my tongue" thought for a while and then reconstruct most of the memory over time is very much like lossy compression. Unfortunately, just like lossy compression, we often make stuff up to fill the gaps too.

• Volunteer

I think it’s the naim cable-amp combo that you are both referring to. 

Because naim amps don’t have an output inductor they need to be paired with a high inductance cable otherwise they can go into oscillation. 

At least thats my memory of the situation 

Guest Muon N'
2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Memory is amazing. The way we can extract a tiny bit of information with the "tip of my tongue" thought for a while and then reconstruct most of the memory over time is very much like lossy compression. Unfortunately, just like lossy compression, we often make stuff up to fill the gaps too.

The brain is amazing in so many ways, but fallible too.

I hate it when I see those Dream Interpretation Books on the shelves, drams are just the cleaning out of the days thoughts both conscious and unconscious, trying to find relevance . They mean nothing.

Sorry, I'm way off topic :(

Just now, Muon N' said:

The brain is amazing in so many ways, but fallible too.

I hate it when I see those Dream Interpretation Books on the shelves, drams are just the cleaning out of the days thoughts both conscious and unconscious, trying to find relevance . They mean nothing.

Sorry, I'm way off topic :(

Not really, as most things people hear from various cables? I believe they're just dreaming.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I think it’s the naim cable-amp combo that you are both referring to. 

Because naim amps don’t have an output inductor they need to be paired with a high inductance cable otherwise they can go into oscillation. 

At least thats my memory of the situation 

That makes sense, as high capacitance cables are usually low inductance.

Damn it, now I have to think and only just woke up ;)

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Not really, as most things people hear from various cables? I believe they're just dreaming.

Belief is powerful, and just as believing something is there, it is equally as powerful as a belief it is not there.

I'll pass on any discussion directly related this hobby in this area as it just gets messy.

Edit: just to be clear on my views, I would never say someone is dreaming they hear something, as the fact is they do hear it or perceive it.

Edited by Muon N'

26 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

You also had the cable parameters around the wrong way.

Some (older) Naim amps are harmed not by high capacitance cables .... but by low inductance cables.

Without the added inductance of the cable, and amplifier circuit can oscillate.

Well guys you hit the nail on the head. One of the cables I'm thinking of is the Naim NACA5. I had some for many, many years (I had a Naim amp once). A couple of years ago I sold the naca5 thinking it was time for a change. Trouble is, nothing can match the focus and dynamics of it (for the money).

I know some people hate it but I had an excellent experience with it. The other cable I have now is QED Revelation, which is musically superb but I still miss the qualities of the naca5.

Edited by rob2