Ravenna driver for Linux - know about it? Using it?

Guest rmpfyf

Check this out! Or maybe I'm late to the party...

https://www.merging.com/products/alsa_ravenna_aes67_driver

https://bitbucket.org/MergingTechnologies/ravenna-alsa-lkm/

https://www.merging.com/highlights/audio-networking#audio-networking

This would just about end any Best LPS/Mega USB card/underclocking/etc debates on a PC - you'd buy for processing grunt and having two network ports! Add a small managed switch and you're away. Bloody awesome. 

And the free version does 8 channels and 384kHz + DSD!

If someone would come along and create an Amanero-esque endpoint capable of 384kHz I could run active 4-way speakers with the crossovers done on my PC in ALSA and build the speakers as actives with a simple Ethernet port input. No MiniDSP / DEQX / etc, just a solid PC and go. It'd be freakin' awesome for DIY. Closest I found was https://www.archwave.net/new-products-1-1. Hmmm.

Anyone any further down this road? Looks super exciting. 

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Anyone any further down this road?

No, but have considered it.

The lack of "simple ethernet port" input on an amplifier which could be easily integrated into an active loudspeaker, is what was missing for me.

Currently, I do AES out of PC (or whatever) into a DSP/amplifier inside the speaker....  which is just as close to ending the " Best LPS/Mega USB card/underclocking/etc" issues as AVB/AES67, IMVHO.

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

No, but have considered it.

The lack of "simple ethernet port" input on an amplifier which could be easily integrated into an active loudspeaker, is what was missing for me.

Currently, I do AES out of PC (or whatever) into a DSP/amplifier inside the speaker....  which is just as close to ending the " Best LPS/Mega USB card/underclocking/etc" issues as AVB/AES67, IMVHO.

The endpoint linked in my post seems an interesting option (though I want a 384kHz workflow). Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Thoughts?

You'd have to put the high speed signals on wires ... and those boards just have solder pads.   :-S  

Network audio protocols are definitely the future ..... but I will want to (and need to) wait until there are DA converters built around it. 

11 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Network audio protocols are definitely the future ..... but I will want to (and need to) wait until there are DA converters built around it. 

No cut price NADACs out there :)

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2019 at 8:02 PM, davewantsmoore said:

but I will want to (and need to) wait until there are DA converters built around it. 

On 25/02/2019 at 3:20 PM, rmpfyf said:

If someone would come along and create an Amanero-esque endpoint capable of 384kHz I could run active 4-way speakers with the crossovers done on my PC in ALSA and build the speakers as actives with a simple Ethernet port input.

Anubis is the first Merging product to feature the Zman module, which is also available for OEMs:

https://www.merging.com/products/zman-oem

"support for DXD, 384kHz, DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256"

We'll have to wait to see if any non-Merging Zman based Ravenna input DACs, amps and speakers come along.

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

And there already exists Ravenna network input active speakers... but this one doesn't feature the Zman board (which can support up to PCM384/DSD256)

https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-studio-monitors/8430a-ip-sam-studio-monitor

With Smart Active Monitoring (SAM™), Genelec created the most advanced and adaptable monitoring system available today. Now, with the 8430A IP monitor, Genelec has opened the door to audio-over-IP (AoIP) workflows.

A world first, the 8430A IP is based on the Ravenna IP protocol, with full AES67 support for ultimate compatibility.

Edited by Music2496
On 25/02/2019 at 8:14 PM, rmpfyf said:

No cut price NADACs out there :)

There is...

Merging Hapi + DA8P 8-channel DAC board (ES9028PRO) comes to around ~AU$6k...

Still very expensive but well under half the price of NADAC's 8-channel equivalent?

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

Guest rmpfyf
2 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

There is...

Merging Happi + DA8P 8-channel DAC board (ES9028PRO) comes to around ~AU$6k... half the price of NADAC?

Waiting for DIY kits :D 

I reached out to Frank at https://www.attaudiocontrols.com/ regarding the Merging + Anubis and he indicates introductory pricing for the Pro is 2,150.00 plus GST, Premium 3,135.00 plus GST. I presume this is AUD we are both in Melbourne.

I have been hunting for a converter this has piqued my interest.

Cheers, Nick

Edited by nandrzej
minor correction
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, nandrzej said:

I reached out to Frank at https://www.attaudiocontrols.com/ regarding the Merging + Anubis and he indicates introductory pricing is for the Pro is 2,150.00 plus GST, Premium 3,135.00 plus GST. I presume this is AUD we are both in Melbourne.

I have been hunting for a converter this has piqued my interest.

Cheers, Nick

Quite the Swiss Army knife... networked Ravenna input (DXD and DSD256 with Premium model), 6 channels D-to-A (the 2 headphone outputs can be used for Ch5 and Ch6) and very good headphone amp. With built-in volume control (of the ES9026PRO) can be used as a pre-amp to power amp/powered speakers too.

Can be powered over ethernet too.

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

I had a look at hardware available for Ravenna and there is a dearth in the enthusiast space. What is available seems geared towards professional recording and large installations it may be that the Hapi example above is the most economic for more channels that the Anubis.

As I was writing this post I had another stab and found this. Perhaps we are not so far away after all?

https://www.musoscorner.com.au/ml16d-16-channel-analog-dante-converter

Cheers, Nick

Edited by nandrzej
spelling
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, nandrzej said:

I had a look at hardware available for Ravenna and there is a dearth in the enthusiast space.

That's definitely to be expected.

481357175_ScreenShot2019-04-05at4_35_26pm.thumb.png.f262c6070012d1ea57929a24133476c0.png

For hi-res home networked audio, we already have Roon, Chromecast, UPnP still kicks on and Airplay (for 16/44.1 multiroom). All those except UPnP (I think) even support multiroom networked audio already (for a long time now).

For me personally, the very recent Merging Ravenna Linux ALSA driver is what now makes Ravenna interesting at home...

Once HQPlayer Embedded incorporates the ALSA driver (Jussi is working on it right now), I can play direct to something like Anubis over the network... and no Windows or macOS interfacing needed at all...

Just an iPad running Roon Remote playing to the HQP Embedded (headless Linux server) playing to the networked DAC, via Ravenna...

Dante is nice but DXD/DSD256 is not an option, so not an option for me either.

Edited by Music2496

2 minutes ago, nandrzej said:

The TASCAM ML-16D is AES67 and Ravenna compatible

Yup noted but I knew that ?

I said Dante is nice but DXD/DSD256 is not supported..

So not an option for me personally.

Edited by Music2496
5 minutes ago, nandrzej said:

Sorry I misread your response I thought you were indicating you didn't want DXD/DSD256, I get it now

My bad. Yeh I need minimum DXD/DSD256 support, which is Merging's bread and butter with Ravenna.

Of course there are people doing DXD/DSD256 with Roon at home now and HQPlayer NAA, over the network. Both of those support PCM768kHz/DSD512 over the network. Maybe another reason there's no massive excitement for Ravenna at home, for now?

Anubis' pricing (even the Premium model) makes things more interesting.

It will be interesting to see which manufacturers are planning to use Merging's OEM Zman module... for networked DACs, amps or even networked speakers, that are DXD/DSD256 capable...  have to wait and see.

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm pretty excited about what is happening with Merging's hapi / anibus on linux.  I personally want to get a recording / mixing setup though rather than a playback scenario, but this is promising at least.  

I hope merging can sustain the software side of their product lines since it seems they have been adding a lot of hardware lately and the software is kinda lagging.  A comprehensive and well supported linux driver and recording base would make keeping a Mac or Windows machine around completely pointless.

• 7 months later...

On 25/02/2019 at 12:20 PM, rmpfyf said:

And the free version does 8 channels and 384kHz + DSD!

Hmm I'll have to check this.

I know with Merging's macOS driver, the free version is limited to PCM48kHz but is compatible with any Ravenna hardware. Higher sample rates only supported with Merging hardware.

Edited by rand129678
Added more info