Remastered Welcome To The Pleasure Dome - FGTH

I have this epic album on vinyl......it is an event every time I play it but I want a CD of it for the car. Has anyone got this remastered version which was released in 2000 with a changed cover (see below) and if so.....any good? Has the 'remastering' improved on what I would say is an already perfect mastering (or stuffed it up)? Cheers...?

Related image
Edited by stevoz

56 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I have this epic album on vinyl......it is an event every time I play it but I want a CD of it for the car. Has anyone got this remastered version which was released in 2000 with a changed cover (see below) and if so.....any good? Has the 'remastering' improved on what I would say is an already perfect mastering (or stuffed it up)? Cheers...?

Related image

I think I have this at home, because I was looking for a version I didn't have to flip 4 sides on (as the music flows so seamlessly across the many tracks it features I didn't want to break it). My memory is that I went to the Japanese 2 disc vinyl pressing in the end, because the CD had shortened versions, or a different order that I didn't like. But I forget exactly....

Can check when I'm home?

Forget the 2000 remaster (DR7), it has been severely compressed; find yourself the original 1985 CD (DR14) or the 1994 version (DR13)

Like a lot of early CDs there are a multitude of pressings made/issued in various parts of the world.  Mine happens to be one made in Japan (Sanyo ) for Germany and has a catalogue number of 610 195-222 CID 101

Apparently one of the original CID 101 versions has different tracks on the CD making it close to the LPs, but the booklet/cover lists the normal CD tracks and then to confound it further a couple of other tracks are missing and one is shortened.  The problem is that the normal CD tracks already run for 72 minutes so something had to be left out to retain a single CD.

Now look what you've gone and done.  I'm off to find the other CID 101 with the other couple of LP tracks on it!

-----------

Edit; it appears that the CD with alternative tracks may be easier to find than I first thought. Some French, US and Canadian CDs have that particular set of tracks.

Edited by aechmea
  • Thanks 1

Nice work @aechmea and @candyflip .

Looks like it's an original release CD for me then because:

1. Changing the song order on that album is just not on!?

2. Compressed is not cool.?

Thanks and cheers...?

PS: You can still check if you want @candyflip , I'm curious because I just can't see the point of changing what I consider a perfect songlist order.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Steve 

It's for the car. Who cares, just use Spotify.    Enjoy the best Frankie for you home system.

Spend the saved $$ on new music.

Oh yeah, Frankie is an event in the home? but my car doesn't have all that new fangled streaming gear?, just a trusty CD changer. Sounds pretty good though so a decent CD version is vital.?

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Oh yeah, Frankie is an event in the home? but my car doesn't have all that new fangled streaming gear?, just a trusty CD changer. Sounds pretty good though so a decent CD version is vital.?

All you need is your phone and Bluetooth connection, assuming you have spotify.  If not, I am sure there must be a old Aussie cd copy would be in used cd shops.

Have fun

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevoz said:

Nice work @aechmea and @candyflip .

Looks like it's an original release CD for me then because:

1. Changing the song order on that album is just not on!?

2. Compressed is not cool.?

Thanks and cheers...?

PS: You can still check if you want @candyflip , I'm curious because I just can't see the point of changing what I consider a perfect songlist order.

Can't find it Steve..... one of the many that went bye byes in our last house move I'd say..  :) 

I'm persisting with the JP vinyl copy for now.

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

Can't find it Steve..... one of the many that went bye byes in our last house move I'd say..  :) 

I'm persisting with the JP vinyl copy for now.

Don't you just hate house moves!? All good @candyflip . I bought a UK original release off Discogs late last night at a decent price. ? Cheers...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found it!

It's this '94 repress I have, Steve : https://www.discogs.com/Frankie-Goes-To-Hollywood-Welcome-To-The-Pleasuredome/release/168745 

Just A/B'ed it with the wife, Japanese double vinyl press, to this, back and forth.

The wife thought the sound was crisper on the vinyl (she was blind to which was which as I shifted between the two, sat in the adjoining room) and I found the CD a little bass shy.

But not a large gulf between the two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candyflip said:

Found it!

It's this '94 repress I have, Steve : https://www.discogs.com/Frankie-Goes-To-Hollywood-Welcome-To-The-Pleasuredome/release/168745 

Just A/B'ed it with the wife, Japanese double vinyl press, to this, back and forth.

The wife thought the sound was crisper on the vinyl (she was blind to which was which as I shifted between the two, sat in the adjoining room) and I found the CD a little bass shy.

But not a large gulf between the two.

Thanks for that @candyflip. I appear to have this 1985 version: https://www.discogs.com/Frankie-Goes-To-Hollywood-Welcome-To-The-Pleasuredome/release/404407

It has the cat. no. ZTT - CID 101 but the info on Discogs is a bit awry I believe. It lists 'Happy Hi' on the tracklisting but I'm sure I heard 'San Hose', the song which Happy Hi replaced on some versions incl. the US release. I'll have to have another listen.

Sounds like your copy sounds better than mine, I was not overly impressed with this one....I mean it sounds ok but as I explained in the Currently Spinning thread, it sounds a bit narrow and dull compared to the LP..... and it's levels are down, I had to turn it up about eight more notches in volume than I would normally play a CD to get it as loud as I play the LP. It's way less dynamic than my Canadian pressed LP.....

According to Discogs, your CD is manufactured in Germany and mine is manufactured in Japan by Sanyo.....and it's a little disappointing.? I should have waited for your reply!?

Yep @candyflip, on listening for a second time, the tracklisting on the cover is definitely wrong.....I am listening to 'San Hose' right now.....no 'Happy Hi' as listed.

I'm listening at a louder volume today and it is sounding more like I know it.? Not too bad at all.

PS: Near the end now.....the tracklist appears to be identical the my LP, which is great and as it should be.?