Speaker size limits

I am considering taking over the kids PS4 room and using it as a listening room. 

Its not a big room 3.3 x 3 x 2.4 high. Probably do some room treatments all over the room.

What would be the maximum physical size speaker I should go to ? Is there a calculator or rule of thumb to go by?

It depends on the exact speaker.

Some speakers which are really physically large wouldn't be appropriate for a small room ..... others could be fine.

Obviously, you will have your own aesthetics/comfort limitations.   If I said, use this 2m high 1m deep, 50cm wide speaker .... cos it will disperse sound in a way which is totally fine for a small room ..... then you would say "that's crazy too big for my room, where will I sit?!".

Typically (although there are exceptions, but they're mostly exotic things) .... larger speakers are needed to get more output .... so unless you want to go deaf, you will probably have little need to "go large".

I appreciate this might not have helped much ..... so in short/direct.    As large as you like, but make sure you consult the manufacturer about the specific listening distance recommendations for the speaker  (doesn't matter if it's a bookshelf, or a floorstander, or...)

.... and the 2nd questions.   No.

Guest Muon N'

It depends on the speakers, I have Lenehan ML-1 mini monitors and they have more than plenty of bass in a room 5m x 4.5m not counting the open dinning area at the back of that.

It all comes down to what specific speakers.

That's not a very big room, so you may have limiations on how far you can position the speakers away from the rear and side walls. This will have a large impact on the speakers you select. Typically you will need speakers that are not too heavy in the bass department. You really will need to hear them insitu.