Spendor D9 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Hi all, I am down to Spendor D9 vs Dynaudio Contour 60. Need to work well with a full naim set up (252/300/n-DAC/555PS), cannot listen to the D9 but I have done a demo. of the DYNAUDIOS. They sounded fine, just a hint of bass boom though in my dealers (smallish room). 

I can only give either speaker about 50 cm of room behind them though. I suspect this will cross out the Dyn's. (perhaps the 30's instead ? ) The trade in offer special for all the Contour series this month has got my interest !

Thoughts ?

Hi Seadog 

i spent months auditioning speakers before I settled on the D9’s about a year ago.   Including Dyns and B&W 803 D3’s.    They are just on their own at this price point.  There are lots of outstanding reviews on the net also 

I have them about 80cm away from the wall.  I think 50cm won’t be an issue.  The detail these speakers can demonstrate is astounding.   The tweeter is a true work of art.  And as for bass. Well all I can say is you won’t need a sub.  

These speakers are certainly good enough to show up the differences in any new piece of equipment I’ve introduced into the mix.   They do take a little while to properly run in though 

I think you can tell which ones I would recommend 

good luck with your choice 

Edited by Bill125812

Hi Bill,

Righto, nice set you have there in your profile !

I did home demo. the Contour 20's and although they were nice, just didn't wow me. I don't know what it was, just not an emotional connection to the music, not fully broken in ? I do not know, that is why I assumed the 60's with a dedicated midrange may be better. 

Yep, the reviews pretty much said a great speaker and so very room friendly to dial in too. I may be worth a punt to try.

Pity that Audiofix is no longer the Aus dealers.  Andrew used to offer a demo period and if you didn’t like then he would refund the purchase amount.  I’m not sure if he has any D9’s in stock.   Worth a try though. Give him a call 

I think Andrew still have some in stock,  would the smaller d7 be more suited to your room? 

Couple of reviews for you 

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/spendor-d1-floorstanding-loudspeaker-1/

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/spendor-d7-1/

and 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-d7-loudspeaker-measurements

Edited by cafe67

3 hours ago, seadog said:

Hi Bill,

Righto, nice set you have there in your profile !

I did home demo. the Contour 20's and although they were nice, just didn't wow me. I don't know what it was, just not an emotional connection to the music, not fully broken in ? I do not know, that is why I assumed the 60's with a dedicated midrange may be better. 

Yep, the reviews pretty much said a great speaker and so very room friendly to dial in too. I may be worth a punt to try.

I auditioned the C60 and left the same way. Extremely impressive but more for the head than heart. 

Another thing , that now upon reflection that I noticed and just remembered , at the dealers was a really, really high soundstage with the Contour 60. Like vocals appeared to be 2m tall above the center sweet spot. I can only give 2.5m from my seat to speaker centre soundstage. So the strange vocal hight will only be exaggerated I assume.

Think I’ll cross these of my list.

Edited by seadog

Any reason you have narrowed it down to those 2 ? It doesn't seem like your that keen on one and haven't heard the other.

How about Focal Kanta or B and W 804 d3, West Coast hifi Midland has both I think.

PMC twenty5.26 at Douglas hifi would definitely be worth a look.

Paradigm Persona 3f at Frank Prowse.

Cheers Dave

Dave,

Yep had the PMC 25.26 for a home demo. Almost got them, then I tried a few less flattering recordings and they had a real spitty, unpleasant upper mid. treble hash that spoiled it for me. Pity - as the rest of it was awesome , bass, PRaT off the charts etc.

Glad you said the Paradigm Persona, always wanted to see what the fuss is about with them. They seem to have what I am after , spec.wise anyway. I’ll have to swing by and check them out.

Not real keen on Focal, except the Sopra 2/3, thought they were marvellous at a Surrounds evening with Naim driving them. But I suspect they need much more room to open up than I can give them.

Had the day off today and popped into West Coast Hifi midland, they have some Tannoy DC 10 on sale at the moment. Beautiful looking speakers, I have not heard them but have had Revolution Signatures before and they were very nice.

The brief listen I had of Paradigms was very impressive.

Good luck on the hunt. ?

It’s just my opinion, but @ $14,990 RRP for the Contour 60 and $12,990 for the D9 ...not sure the smaller boxes and plasticky polypropylene drivers in these speakers will ever keep up with the larger boxes, overall accuracy and quality of drivers and construction found in our home grown products like the French Kevlar composite Focal units used in the superb Osborne speakers or the very good Seas Excel Millenium magnesium drivers found in the VAF i66 and i93 loudspeakers - at the same price of the Dyns and Spendor?

Just sayin’ and it does put into perspective the good value of our local products. I know which ones I’d rather have ...go Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! :thumb:

Cheers,

Steve.

9EDAD284-1A9D-4F8E-B914-40104809C505.jpeg

VAF i93

F33C6602-EED9-429F-92DD-E01AB9A17186.png

Osborne Epitome

AF3F3A77-605A-4E85-9034-145E9963D565.jpeg

Spendor D9

F2889C7F-7D0B-458C-9ABA-147E7E807910.jpeg

Dynaudio Contour 60

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

After reading @Steve M's post talking about the retail prices it made me think of this ad. Have you thought about buying used? You get much better value. In this case I doubt the speakers you are looking at would come close to the Magico. It's just a shame they are sold.

On 24/02/2019 at 9:37 PM, seadog said:

Yep had the PMC 25.26 for a home demo. Almost got them, then I tried a few less flattering recordings and they had a real spitty, unpleasant upper mid. treble hash that spoiled it for me.

What were you driving them with? I haven't spent a lot of time with my .26's but I never encountered this?

Although they're quite revealing so average recordings did sound, well average..

3 hours ago, Nickr81 said:

What were you driving them with? I haven't spent a lot of time with my .26's but I never encountered this?

Although they're quite revealing so average recordings did sound, well average..

A full naim audio set up, so that is one possibility. Perhaps my rig , room , recordings I used and my hearing preferences combined to not like these.

Shame, as I loved almost all of what I heard in my demo. and they are by all accounts a quality brand and a quality speaker. 

Just one of those things I guess.

I did notice my older w4s dac was really letting my system down once I added the .26's, they didnt work well together at  all and really showed the shortfall.

Like you say it really depends on what you already have and personal tastes.

Unfortunately im going to part with mine untill I move to a bigger, better space a bit down the track..

On 26/02/2019 at 1:20 AM, Steve M said:

It’s just my opinion, but @ $14,990 RRP for the Contour 60 and $12,990 for the D9 ...not sure the smaller boxes and plasticky polypropylene drivers in these speakers will ever keep up with the larger boxes, overall accuracy and quality of drivers and construction found in our home grown products like the French Kevlar composite Focal units used in the superb Osborne speakers or the very good Seas Excel Millenium magnesium drivers found in the VAF i66 and i93 loudspeakers - at the same price of the Dyns and Spendor?

Just sayin’ and it does put into perspective the good value of our local products. I know which ones I’d rather have ...go Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! :thumb:

Cheers,

Steve.

9EDAD284-1A9D-4F8E-B914-40104809C505.jpeg

VAF i93

F33C6602-EED9-429F-92DD-E01AB9A17186.png

Osborne Epitome

AF3F3A77-605A-4E85-9034-145E9963D565.jpeg

Spendor D9

F2889C7F-7D0B-458C-9ABA-147E7E807910.jpeg

Dynaudio Contour 60

Both dynaudio and spendor develope and manufacture their own drivers so i figure they are just more than plasticky 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Naim system (CD5 XS, ND5 XS, Flatcap XS, Nait XS2) and tried several speakers at 70cm from the front baffle to the back wall, which means usually a 30cm - 40cm gap. These include the Dynaudio Contour S1.4 LE.

Try as I might I could not get the boom out of the bass on these speakers, and they had much more of this than any other speaker I tried. This goes away completely with the port bungs, so it's definitely a port issue.

This was less pronounced with some other amplifiers, but they didn't have the bass punch that the Naim has.

I wouldn't use these or a similar design from Dynaudio with less than 70cm gap from the wall, and I'd recommend 1m. They do have the bass power to work 1m from the wall, easily, and it will tighten the bass up nicely.

I have heard various Spendors, including the D7, which has a similar (if not identical) port to the D9, and these don't have the same issue. You could probably get away with having a 50cm gap from the wall.

My preference would be the Spendors, but at that price point I'd also be looking at the Goldenear Triton Reference. They're also very forgiving of narrow rooms or being close to front walls. There's even a Perth dealer for them.

https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/product/goldenear-triton-reference-loudspeakers/