The new reference standard, MG30.7

Well, well, well or should I say as Mat K says when he gets focused "alright, alright, alright... " with that southern Texan accent. 

I could go on and on about how the new 30.7's sound but that would kill the excitement, hence I will keep it brief as possible in point form and then close with a few comparisons based on the CLX's, since that's my reference standard. 

1. The 30.7's are very transparent in the full frequency spec from top to bottom. 

2. They are remarkably well balanced, no overhang, zero distortion, or at least I didn't pick up any distortion even at very loud levels, and lightning fast!

3. The level of scale and realism is superb! Nothing to flaw there whatsoever.

4. The sense of depth in soundstage and spacial cues are superb from any recording as long as it's a good recording! Therefore, it will capture basically exactly what's on the recording.

5. The bass panels capture every minute detail on the low notes, and delivers the bass variations in such beautiful detail, the use of subs would just ruin this! And I must say that ribbon dipole double magnetic bass is awesome, there's no match!

Now to keep it simple, compared with the CLX's, they can very easily compete with all the above points and excell in the mid-band, as they provide that very fine detail in stat mid-range at its finest! That's just the way fine stats are made, and it's pretty simple physics.

However, the biggest difference or shall I say, the most significant force of transparency and detail, is in point 5 on the 30.7's. The bass is in a completely different league altogether. It is agile, lightening quick and responds with such force and acceleration, it makes the Avantgarde bass sound slow, which I actually thought was pretty quick...

Now I can certainly understand why JV himself has retained these as his new reference standard. Since they capture all the low notes as well and the way the recording intended it to be. Having said that, at the same time, JV also retains the CLX's as another reference system as well and I can fully understand why. 

The amplification used on the 30.7's were the new Dan D'Agostino Relentless monoblocks. Rated at 1500w at 8ohms, 3000w at 4ohms & a thunderous 6000w on 2ohms, these monoblocks just grab the 30.7's by the tail and slap them silly, it's not even funny! It was a real sweet expansive experience to audition these beauties. And at the same time, the CLX's were driven with his top of the line CJ ART300's, using the GATS2 preamp. This was equally superb and very detailed both inner cues in soundstage depth and resolution along with a fine level of musicality. I'm currently getting about 80-90% of that level of refinement in terms of a full line up of CJ amplification for much less in cost and terms of overall power on tap... Having already owned this, I personally wouldn't change a thing. 

I must say though, if anyone is looking for a serious ribbon panel transducer at its utmost finest, further enhanced in all areas, not just panel design, the 30.7's are worth every penny... Simply marvelous! 

If I had the means, I would have placed a deposit right away, knowing you're getting your monies worth. Value for money is an "understatement" with the 30.7's, no wonder they're giant killers in the ultra high-end! Brilliant stuff and hats off to Magnepan, well and truly done! 

Cheers, RJ  

Guest Music monster

Well said raj you’re got me all excited now and I cart wait to get my pair.the fact that the clx compares in certain areas is no surprise to me as they are excellent speakers in there own way ,but as you say the new reference standard is the 30.7, they are the complete deal from lowest bass to the highest highs, and I’m glad I didn’t go for 20.7s as the 30.7s leaves them miles behind. As you know mate before I even bought anything it was either the clx art or 30.7s and I feel I certainly made the right choice even without an audition of the 30.7s that’s just my experience when it comes to ultimate sound. Cheers bud gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Hey raj did you find out for me if they can be biamped.? And what cable connects the two panels together, is anything supplied with the speakers. Gary the music monster ?.

Ah yes, first a few points on the panel and it's improvements:

1. Unlike previous Maggie panels, the 30.7's have there actual working ribbon transducers built all the way to the very edge of the panels, creating a much larger radiating surface, provides a more effortless realistic scale.

2. Very much improved speaker terminals and wiring, good quality cross-overs, which are built into the panel. With one set of input terminals as standard config.

3. The layers of woodwork on the edges are strong enough to hold the panel together and there seems to be some sort of added internal bracing between panel sections providing added stiffness. Along with the T-shaped feet, this secures the bottom edge of the panels securely, although this is the only aspect I would have preferred to see where Magnepan could have done better.

4. The system comes equipped with a fairly large and standard length of cables that connect the mids -higs panel to the bass panels. Hence, there is no external cross-over box, this allows for far less connections and results in a "purer" more transparent sound.

5. The bass panels come equipped with a bass control switch, with three pre-settings. As follows:

1. High filter, roll off bass

2. Medium - default setting 

3. Low extended bass

This is similar to a toggle switch, although my mate specifically said that some models incorporate a control dial, where you can select and tune in the bass according to user preferences. He has ordered the 30.7's with the preset toggle switch, as he feels this provides less fiddling... But does limit the control range. 

On the setting 1; this switch is most suited to smaller to average rooms. There will be no overhang, the start-stop speed and acceleration of the bass is superb! 

On setting 2; this is the default setting, which suits most decent sized living rooms, will provide nice smooth extended lows.

On setting 3; this is where it goes to another level! The bass extension just opens up like no other, it is lighting fast (equal speed to CLX's) it's very agile, extends well beyond full range stats, and can accelerate from 0-100 in a blink of an eye! However, to really feel this spectacular bass extension, a much larger room is required. Otherwise, phase issues and overhang will start to evolve... 

Cross-over and Bi-amping:

I was advised that Magnepan has purposely wanted to design and retain the 30.7's as a full range ribbon / quasi ribbon transducer. Therefore, they kept things to a minimal, built in cross-overs and improved on the wiring, which helps to a great affect! 

The moment you go out of these parameters, you are adding external cross-over boxes, which are needed to bi-amp, only to gain more dynamics and volume but will NOT improve the "quality of sound". Therefore, bi-amping was not recommended by my chap.

And especially using the massive Relentless monoblocks, who and why on earth would you ever need to bi-amp those! 

Although his other lofty systems, such as the IRSV and ML Statements are meant to be bi-amped, simply because that's the nature of their design. They can reproduce very large scale events, have a lifelike soundstage and spacial depth, and play very very loud.

However, when listening to the 30.7's or the CLX's for that matter, they seem to reproduce a far more coherent presentation, which is not only on a lifelike scale but also extremely musical.

This is the one biggest attribute of driving a panel transducer full range, without any added gizmos or artifices. The coherency, naturalness and linearity is far greater in synergy compared to lofty systems with multiple driver arrays, multiple tower systems and so on... Unless they're very well designed, an awful lot of aspects can go wrong with such designs and trying to get them right is a never ending task... Might as well just sit back and listen to a fine pair of two-way monitors, that are far more musical and engaging!

Not to worry G- mate, you're going to be in for a very nice long wonderful experience with the 30.7's. I'd be very surprised if you don't want to hold onto these beauties, and just remember they do take an awful long time to properly break-in. Especially those superb bass panels. 

I will say this though, sure Magnepan could have very easily matched or exceeded the build quality and materials used on the CLX's. With its composite alloy air-frames, X-stat panel, top notch quality internal parts, plus dedicated torroidal transformers on the mids-highs panel, and discrete EI-core transformers used for EHT (extra High tension) bass panels, all of these extras and enhancements are added costs. In which case, the 30.7's would have sounded absolutely further stunning but offered at way over their current price range. 

Hence, Magnepan have purposely retained what they could based on previous designs, and upgraded only what's necessary, in order to deliver a  true stunner that is the hallmark of "value for money". I know 30 - 50 grand may not seem as vfm to many people but when you have heard the 30.7's and compared them to other lofty offerings costing 100-200 grand or more, I just ask myself "why bother"!

The 30.7's are the new reference standard in panel transducers!

Cheers and all the very best,

? ? ? big woof! RJ

5 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Ah yes, first a few points on the panel and it's improvements:

1. Unlike previous Maggie panels, the 30.7's have there actual working ribbon transducers built all the way to the very edge of the panels, creating a much larger radiating surface, provides a more effortless realistic scale.

Quasi-ribbon transducers, Raj!  :sorry:

5 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Cross-over and Bi-amping:

And especially using the massive Relentless monoblocks, who and why on earth would you ever need to bi-amp those! 

Correct - if you can afford an amp in that category ... you would never need to bi-amp.

But if you have - and like listening to, say - a Mac 452 ... I suggest you would get a better sound from the 30.7s if you could use the Mac on the mids & ribbons (maintaining the series XO between the two drivers) and use a pair of W4S 1kW D class monoblocs on the bass panels, in a 2-way active setup.

Or even - it the 30.7s really do have a slightly different roll-off for each of the 2 bass panels per side - a 3-way active XO and 4x W4S monoblocs for the bass panels.  :)

Very simple to organise ... if we knew the XO schematic of the 30.7s.  Which, unfortunately, Magnepan is never going to publish.  :(

Andy

Yes, correct Andy, and excellent point when considering bi-amping.

However, I strongly feel in order to get the max benefit from bi-amping, with all that added power on tap, a much larger room is required and when the 30.7's properly energise the room according to the appropriate amplification, it can sound marvelous but if this is not given careful thought and bi-amping is just done for the sake of bi-amping, I'm affraid you will lose that Maggie finesse in ribbon transducers. 

Sorry I forgot, Quasi -ribbon... ?

Cheers mate, RJ 

Guest Music monster

Well explained raj.im glad a cable is surplied to connect the panels together.i certainly will not be biamping,I was just curious if it could be done.they should sound stunning in my build music room with excellent acoustics.they look so beautiful as well. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Just a word on Mac, in a class of its own.nothin to me sounds as good as McIntosh,I tried a few different brands before going to Mac and it was an easy decision.i could afford just about any amplifier out there,but Mac is my reference buy a mile and always will be,just an honest option on my tastes and what a I like.gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

As for small 2 ways or small speakers,I could never listen to these,I had owned harbeth flagship 40.2 reference monitors and sold them off very quickly, they cart reproduce a live event like the 30,7s will or any one box or panel speaker cannot either in my opinion. To me it’s all about a huge and effortless sound with surberb sound quality,nothin more annoying than hearing music trying to be squeezed out of small speakers.gary the music monster ?

No, G- mate, you missed my point on using / listening to two-way monitors. 

What I meant was: there are those huge multiple tower systems that have multiple driver arrays, separate bass Towers and so on... Unless these are designed and set up properly, they can cause a lot of unwanted issues...  And sometimes trying to get them to sound right is a tedious task... Hence, might as well enjoy Two way monitors. 

Whereas the 30.7's are concerned, although they are multiple panels, they have been well designed and integrated into a more coherent system. 

BTW, there are some very fine two way monitors that people retain as their reference and not everyone can afford huge Maggie's, let alone 30.7's.

You have to appreciate all types of systems. 

Cheers, RJ 

• Like 1

Guest Music monster

Yes mate I understand what you mean and good luck to people who like two way monitors, they don’t cut it for me and sound like toys that belong in a toy shop.. Buy the way headphones are the same,I’m selling my brand new headphones already,I only just bought them,I wonder how long the 30.7s will last. Gary the music monster ?

Since the speakers were only listened to in conjunction with $250,000 monoblocks, it's hard to know how they'd perform with amps a little closer in price to the speakers themselves. In light of that, it's hard to see them as a bargain unless the price is factored in or other amps have been tried.

Guest Music monster

The 30.7s don’t need that kind of amplification, you can drive them very well with some Bryston Amplifiers or any decent amp with lots of current capability. Of corse the better the amplifier the better the sound as with any speakers.gary the music monster ?

On 24/02/2019 at 1:29 AM, Big Dog RJ said:

Well, well, well or should I say as Mat K says when he gets focused "alright, alright, alright... " with that southern Texan accent. 

I could go on and on about how the new 30.7's sound but that would kill the excitement, hence I will keep it brief as possible in point form and then close with a few comparisons based on the CLX's, since that's my reference standard. 

1. The 30.7's are very transparent in the full frequency spec from top to bottom. 

2. They are remarkably well balanced, no overhang, zero distortion, or at least I didn't pick up any distortion even at very loud levels, and lightning fast!

3. The level of scale and realism is superb! Nothing to flaw there whatsoever.

4. The sense of depth in soundstage and spacial cues are superb from any recording as long as it's a good recording! Therefore, it will capture basically exactly what's on the recording.

5. The bass panels capture every minute detail on the low notes, and delivers the bass variations in such beautiful detail, the use of subs would just ruin this! And I must say that ribbon dipole double magnetic bass is awesome, there's no match!

Now to keep it simple, compared with the CLX's, they can very easily compete with all the above points and excell in the mid-band, as they provide that very fine detail in stat mid-range at its finest! That's just the way fine stats are made, and it's pretty simple physics.

However, the biggest difference or shall I say, the most significant force of transparency and detail, is in point 5 on the 30.7's. The bass is in a completely different league altogether. It is agile, lightening quick and responds with such force and acceleration, it makes the Avantgarde bass sound slow, which I actually thought was pretty quick...

Now I can certainly understand why JV himself has retained these as his new reference standard. Since they capture all the low notes as well and the way the recording intended it to be. Having said that, at the same time, JV also retains the CLX's as another reference system as well and I can fully understand why. 

The amplification used on the 30.7's were the new Dan D'Agostino Relentless monoblocks. Rated at 1500w at 8ohms, 3000w at 4ohms & a thunderous 6000w on 2ohms, these monoblocks just grab the 30.7's by the tail and slap them silly, it's not even funny! It was a real sweet expansive experience to audition these beauties. And at the same time, the CLX's were driven with his top of the line CJ ART300's, using the GATS2 preamp. This was equally superb and very detailed both inner cues in soundstage depth and resolution along with a fine level of musicality. I'm currently getting about 80-90% of that level of refinement in terms of a full line up of CJ amplification for much less in cost and terms of overall power on tap... Having already owned this, I personally wouldn't change a thing. 

I must say though, if anyone is looking for a serious ribbon panel transducer at its utmost finest, further enhanced in all areas, not just panel design, the 30.7's are worth every penny... Simply marvelous! 

If I had the means, I would have placed a deposit right away, knowing you're getting your monies worth. Value for money is an "understatement" with the 30.7's, no wonder they're giant killers in the ultra high-end! Brilliant stuff and hats off to Magnepan, well and truly done! 

Cheers, RJ  

Where did you hear these?

4 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

The 30.7s don’t need that kind of amplification, you can drive them very well with some Bryston Amplifiers or any decent amp with lots of current capability. Of corse the better the amplifier the better the sound as with any speakers.gary the music monster ?

Mmmm, yes I suggest a big Bryston is capable of 'driving them well' ... but will the sound produced be attractive?  :P  Thin, dry, brittle is my take on Bryston sound - so I would suggest your Mac would sound better.  As would a pair of Magtech monos!  :)

But would the Magtechs produce as good a sound as the Singapore amps ... I doubt it!  (Which is fair enough, given the price difference!)

Andy

Guest Music monster

It is mate he owns Martin Logan statements and clx art, infinity Iris v and now 30,7s, money is no object for him.gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Yes Andy I certainly wouldn’t use Bryston, not my cup of tea but there are people on this thread that use Bryston with the 20.7s a big mistake .mac might not be the best for Maggie’s but I believe the sound will be nice enough. Gary the music monster ?

Finally on break... After nearly three weeks off, it's certainly hard to get back into it... 

I've addressed this aspect before, ref to amplification. So I'll reiterate again:

Any of these will work fine with Maggie's and I've personally used these myself when having Maggie's. 

SS: Pass Labs, Parasound, Plinius, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Arc, Threshold, Forte, Mac, and Musical Fidelity.

Tubes: VTL, Manley Labs, Arc, CJ, Mac, Carver, Melos, VAC, Cary, and Golden tube Audio.

All of the above were either sold it traded in one form or another through my dealership, back in the hey day, and during those years beginning in 1995, I've known my good mate Mr. T in Spore since. Any of those system combinations with Maggie's were outstanding, and some of them, such as CJ with Maggie's were in a class of its own. 

Now, during my very limited time this round in Spore, I had the pleasure of seriously auditioning both the 30.7's & the CLX's driven with top of the line Dan D'Agostino amplifiers. However, on the CLX's he also used the wonderful CJ ART300 monoblocks, they were exceptionally beautiful and in a class of its own. I currently have a very similar amplifier config but not close to the ART300's but the overall musicality remains the same, as with the hallmark of all CJ amplifiers, the only difference being the output power. 

Many so called high-End amps sound complety different as you go up the chain, and the price goes through the roof... Brands that come to mind, Pass Labs and Vitus Audio, this shouldn't be the case but that's just the way they are.

When I heard the Dan D'Agostino momentums and Relentless amps driving the 30.7's, it was probably the best I ever heard from a Maggie panel to date!

The only grapple I have is I would have loved to hear the 30.7's driven by the CJ ART300's, that would have sounded absolutely marvelous! But I wouldn't know. I asked T why didn't he configure additional cabling to be able to use the CJ's on 30.7's, like he had done with the CLX's and so on, but his answer was this:

I have come to the conclusion that CLX's and especially electrostats, if not matched with the right type of amplification, can sound a bit thin, dry and too clinical. They can also lack tonal density and layering, plus sound a bit anemic although the mids-highs may be passable...

Hence, the reason why he retains the best tube power amplifiers dedicated to drive only his CLX's and nothing else. 

He further went on to state that not all tube amps sound great or lifelike with CLX's either, it's a matter of rock solid power supplies and plenty of current in reserves, which any of CJ's tube amplifiers are designed to deliver. The choice of amplification is mostly based on power and size of room, this is the ultimate reason why I've been using only CJ amplification on stats, nothing else.

The musicality, presence and depth are remarkable, truly in a class of its own. 

Having said that, his final notes on amps driving Maggie's is not as complicated in getting it right compared to stats. Any SS amp again with stable power supplies, able to handle an impedence curve of 16ohms down to 2ohms is mighty fine! Even a nominal 8ohms to 4ohms capability is fine, as long as the amps don't clip... 

I also got to learn that once he's sold off his consignment of 30.7's, which he has sold off a total of 6 pairs, he's going to introduce the Allsyvox ribbons (however you spell it...) he's already got the Buchelli model, which I also heard but this was set up at a different dealer's place. According to him these are the ultimate ribbons and I must say, they certainly were in every way. 

But the price, forget it! That's drug money... 

Anyway, so much was learnt in those few days, wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately I had to return to reality... Good old Aussie land. 

Cheers ?  RJ 

Guest Music monster

Allsyvox ribbons are excellent speakers but even the 3rd model from the flagship the buchilli has a rrp $87 thousand USA Dollars ,that’s about 150 aud. This model would not surpass the 30.7s the top 2 models would but not buy much, and they will never be available in Australia.it gos to show what an absolute bargain the 30.7s are.gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster
Update

Yes agreed G mate. 

Pricing is just over the top on that brand but as I discussed with you over the phone, there is a market for such systems. This is the very very wealthy Asian market that we have not experienced in our lives. Although I have been invited to numerous diplomatic parties and functions, when my dad was representing higher education as an Ambassador across the region. I'll tell you mate,  some of these chaps have dedicated home theatre rooms built and designed just for movies in their mansions. Apart from another one or two dedicated music rooms, just for audio... And then you'll find a Bugatti Veyron parked in the lower garage which is used just for Sunday outings! Man these guys live it up, I haven't seen anything like it, and the majority over here haven't either. 

So in all respect, these are the kind of people pumping loads of Sing, Hong Kong dollars into these brands, and brands such as Genesis, Avantgarde, and top tier Martin Logan's are referred to as affordable or cheap for these guys. 

Hence, the reason why they purchase items like Gryphon Pendragon, Genesis 1's,  Apogee Grands, Martin Logan Neolith or Statements and now their big craze are the Alsyvox ribbons. They're buying like around 6-7 pairs each month, so that company is going to be around for a long time.

Aus is considered one of the smallest markets, and cannot even compete in the South East Asia region. I was born in it, I grew up in it and I have lived in it. I've seen it all mate, trust me! 

However, keeping in line with reality, I have always adopted my dad's philosophy of being humble and cut the coat according to the cloth... Therefore, even if I had this kind of disposable income, I would never indulge myself in such extravagant expenditure, knowing that a lot of my fellow countrymen are struggling to make ends meet...

Heck, even what I have spent on my current system is far above than any of my average fellow people would ever be able to afford in two lifetimes, hence sometimes I do feel very guilty. ?

I am well aware of the struggles people are faced with, and not only across the South East Asian region but even here in Aus itself. There are quite a many who struggle every day, can't even afford an outing to the movies, where they have to choose between groceries or movie tickets...

So you see Gary, we must be extremely grateful for what we have and learn to appreciate all types of systems that make everyone happy, at the end of the day it's about enjoying the music. And that enjoyment can be found on Two-way monitors, book shelf speakers, floor standers and to the mighty majestic systems. Whatever one can afford and makes them totally happy is all that matters. Just learn to appreciate and absorb as much knowledge as possible, without trying to chase the "ultimate".

The "ultimate" or "best speaker" simply does not exist! 

Cheers, and have a good one to all, and most of all, enjoy your music! 

RJ 

Edited by Big Dog RJ
  • Like 2

Guest Music monster

Your right but I have to say for most people the 30.7s would be the ultimate for them and right up there with the best speakers in the world for an extremely affordable price.jv from the tas has them as is absolute new reference and has said you cannot not do better than the 30.7.he has also said the new allsyvox ribbons could surpass the 30.7s after he had herd them,but he wasn’t sure,only a long review and listen to them would tell if they are better . And even if they were it wouldn’t be buy much,and they both are truly class a speakers . We live in Australia and i doubt anyone in Australia has a better speaker than the 30.7s. The allsyvox is for the select few people in the world. Maggie’s are buy far the largest manufacturer of panel speakers in the world and will always set the standard for incredible value for money.i don’t even think we should bring up these allsyvox speakers on stereonet because of there ridiculous prices.gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster