Amp advice - for ambience 1600 slim lines

Hi all i am looking for a good amp to drive a pair of ambience slim line 1600 ribion speakers 89db sensitivity 4ohm  - the room is very large 10 meters x 15 meters lounge and kitchen. I will be needing a new avr also but mostly listen to 2.1 happy to buy a integrated amp that would drive the front speakers when using stereo and use pre out for the avr when watching a movie which would be rarely. Looking music fidelity ms6i and cambridge audio cxr200 but would I be better of to get something like the Music fidelity 6500i. I am happy to buy second hand will be listening to spotify or driver 99% of the time in stereo with sub . Thanks heaps cheers 

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

I believe @Addicted to music (who has some Audience ribbons - and is in Melbourne) has his Magtech up for sale?

Andy

No not the Magtech.  That’s a keeper!   

The maggies 1.7 are for sale.......

But if you can find a Magtech here and there were some in the classified, it’s capability is more than enough for the 1600.    Im using Magtech driving 1.7 ohm ribbons which is simulat to your 1600 but in one great length.     However the MF 6500i integrated will do the trick.  Also I could be mistaken and I do apologies and stand corrected if I’m wrong  but @Ooogh  has gone down this path with some high powered Bryston.  Lots of options out there including ME but what you need is high current capacity.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

No not the Magtech.  That’s a keeper!   

The maggies 1.7 are for sale.......

But if you can find a Magtech here and there were some in the classified, it’s capability is more than enough for the 1600.    Im using Magtech driving 1.7 ohm ribbons which is simulat to your 1600 but in one great length.     However the MF 6500i integrated will do the trick.  Also I could be mistaken and I do apologies and stand corrected if I’m wrong  but @Ooogh  has gone down this path with some high powered Bryston.  Lots of options out there including ME but what you need is high current capacity.

Indeed I did Mr Addicted.  Ended up with a Bryston 4B3. Lots of grunt.

Unfortunately between it arriving and the borrowed 14B ST ,which sounded biblically good ,departing,  we removed all the walls in the lounge room. Since then I have been unable to recapture my sound.

I took the 4B3 over to my friends house with the 14B Bryston and the 4B3 was a far superior amplifier , way more detail and speed and no sign of being only half the power of the 14B when driving his B & W 802’s. 

We we will shortly get the big Bryston back for a shoot out at my place, see if it was responsible for the superior sound.  Synergy is the be all and end all in my opinion, all will soon be revealed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blairmc12 said:

Hi guys my budget for an intergrated amp is flexible but I was wanting not go crazy up to 5k but would much prefer to spend less on a solid second hand unit 

Sometimes if you’re lucky you can see some mentioned let go for under $5k in the classified,  you just need to keep looking and be patient.  However when you purchase new,  and you wanna drive difficult loads that’s high current capacity,  it’s anywhere north of $5k is the norm.

Hi, 

What's the point of getting AVR if you are not going to use it (almost). For 2 speakers it's easier to just run optical into DAC and then analogue to amp. The power of amplifiers is tricky , as example MF m6si has 220w at $4500 but Naim supernait 2 has 80w at $6600. Which one is better? 

5 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

What's the point of getting AVR if you are not going to use it (almost). For 2 speakers it's easier to just run optical into DAC and then analogue to amp. The power of amplifiers is tricky , as example MF m6si has 220w at $4500 but Naim supernait 2 has 80w at $6600. Which one is better

You have a point Irek, I was planing on using one also to run speakers across the house but I have an avr that would do that a Denon 2801, in your answer to which amp is better, I would think for my scenario (large room size that the more  watts would be better as I would expect that i would be pushing the limits at 80w but i do get you point watts vs watts quality)