Seeking advice for a temporary (and pretty tiny) studio space

I'm an audio producer and am in a small space temporarily while my new studio is very slowly being built. I'm vaguely familiar with how acoustic treatment works (really just from observing it in many studios) but i'm hoping to get some rough advice for how to treat this small room i'm occupying for a few months. It would be great to be able to DIY build a couple of wall panels and some traps - I just can't quite figure out what I need. Also wondering about a cloud - or whatever they're called - as the room's ceiling is 3 metres high. I've attached a rough diagram depicting the room dimensions. So I guess i'm wondering:

- what treatment should I have in there as a rough fix given i'm only there a few months (though it would be good to take panels to another space later if possible);

- is there an ideal place to put myself, my desk and my monitors? I figure in front of the window there, but not sure.

ld06Stj.jpg

I have a 600 page book on room acoustics. Ill try and save you some time. Most of the DIY stuff you can make is for specialty cases for larger rooms with specific frequency problems. The cheapest way to do this is to add some non reflecting clutter to your room. Curtains, rugs, clothes rack. If you can afford any soubd absorption you could use the cheap padd for side walls. It wont do any more than clutter. If you can spend a bit buy sets bass traps for 2 of the corners. Bass traps are great, but good ones are quite expensive. Aside from this, move the speakers around and test out configurations. There should be at least 20 different ways to set them up if you think of the room like a matrix and the speaker and listening positions as variables to change. So far Ive included no maths. You should be able to get okay sound with your ears and some clutter, and pretty good sound with bass traps. You can also cheat with bass traps and have them angle tour speakers directly, avoiding ruining the soundstage if your careful, for critical listening. If you have a mic use that to record your room. That will give a hint about how good- bad things are. Its amazing how slurred and wet a room can be, and you wont notice until a mic makes it clear just how bad things are. I really do recommend the bass traps. But use your ears and youll do fine. 

Thanks for this reply. I really appreciate your taking the time. And yes - i'm definitely trying to bypass the reading of a 600 page tome. A couple of follow up questions:

- would you suggest the bass traps go behind the monitors, or in the opposite corners of the room?

- if I can cheaply make a couple of those standard kind of picture frame like acoustic panels, should I bother?

Thanks again.

On 23/02/2019 at 7:54 AM, purplepurplepurple said:

- would you suggest the bass traps go behind the monitors, or in the opposite corners of the room?

For, their effects on bass.  It does not matter.     If the bass traps absorb high frequencies, then you'll need to put them where you wanted higher frequencies absorbed.

On 23/02/2019 at 7:54 AM, purplepurplepurple said:

is there an ideal place to put myself,

This is the most important part....   You don't see enough attention paid to it as it's not marketed to you, as it's not a product someone can sell you.

The most important thing, is to set the room up so that you increase the amount of time between the sound arriving at your ears directly from the speakers, and the sound which arrives later reflected from the room.    This means as much space as possible behind you for the reflected sound to 'bounce around' before it comes back to your ears.

This is going to have your 'speakers against a wall' (or pushed into a corner), and you sitting quite close to the speakers ..... This will run counter to what you see people commonly doing in a "hifi room setup" .... or you could try this setup facing into the corner.

The space above you can be a good place to hide extra absorption .... if it's needed.

imageproxy.jpeg