Does running Upnp server on different hardware affect AQ?

Have hardware options on running a Upnp server to access NAS music.  Can use either NAS itself, a laptop as well as a network streamer (SMS-200 Ultra). Simplest is using the NAS itself but will a laptop or a network streamer improve AQ?  

Has anyone compared AQ with different Upnp servers on different hardware?  

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

People can convince themselves of anything in this hobby though.

Eloquently put ! ? 

1 hour ago, Cloth_ears said:

Upnp software feature sets can impact AQ.

Anything I should be aware of?

29 minutes ago, skermajo said:

I've run Asset UPnP server on a desktop computer, as well as on QNAP and Synology NAS. I couldn't tell a difference in AQ between the three.

Thank you, exactly the experience I was after. I will do some testing soon with a Synology NAS and a SMS-200.

On 22/02/2019 at 1:33 PM, Snoopy8 said:

?

Anything I should be aware of?

Different feature sets impact AQ.  For instance Naim recommend WAV as the format for their steamers so something that transcodes on the fly to wav should be better than sending flac. (Apparently it results less jitter within the streamer, thus better AQ.)

You may find your streamer has a preferred mode, so your upnp sever should be setup for that mode.

At the end of the day it will depend on how revealing your system is I guess.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloth_ears said:

Different feature sets impact AQ.  For instance Naim recommend WAV as the format for their steamers so something that transcodes on the fly to wav should be better than sending flac. (Apparently it results less jitter within the streamer, thus better AQ.)

You may find your streamer has a preferred mode, so your upnp sever should be setup for that mode.

At the end of the day it will depend on how revealing your system is I guess.  

Mmmm, Naim suggesting Wav is better than Flac ? ?  A recipe for starting a fight here if we start debating that!  

------------------

Compared Minimserver on Synology NAS to Minimserver running on SMS-200 Ultra using BubbleUpnp player on Android phone.   Could not discern any differences.

Thank you to all for your contributions.

• Like 1