Linn LP12 owners - what cart say you?

Righto, done a fair few searches on the net for about a month and I am still none the wiser committing to a cart for my LP12.

I did up my LP12 to all Mober (another thread), and recently purchased a Gold Note PH10 with PSU. I currently have a a Benz Micro Ace S that came with my original LP12. The owner has no idea of hours used but it is pretty good. As usual, always think I could do better (curse of the upgradeitis!)

Have seriously considered Dynavector XX2 mkII, Gold Note Donatello and even a Garrott Bros Optim Ruby FGS. Looking up to $2K.

Help!

There was a little used Krystal on here a couple years ago- I would be keen to try one as my next cart.

At present I am quite liking the AT33PTG/II and wonder how much better it can get?

Happy with the Gold Note?  I have been thinking of new (used) phono stage too...

20 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Dynavector cartridges work perfectly with LP12.      The XX2 would be a great choice.

As does Lyra if you want to go up the ladder - Lyra make the Linn top cart.

Looked at the Delos. Bit pricer but knew they made carts for Linn. Could be a good choice.

11 minutes ago, Tim D said:

There was a little used Krystal on here a couple years ago- I would be keen to try one as my next cart.

At present I am quite liking the AT33PTG/II and wonder how much better it can get?

Happy with the Gold Note?  I have been thinking of new (used) phono stage too...

The GN is a cracker. Really enjoy changing settings easily on the fly. I got mine here for $2.5K with the external PSU. Great value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders3 said:

The GN is a cracker. Really enjoy changing settings easily on the fly. I got mine here for $2.5K with the external PSU. Great value.

It's a great-sounding phono stage but the "easily changed" phono settings are only 9 in number:

• 47K.

These values favour those LOMCs which have low recommended loadings ... but, for instance, would not suit the Benz LP which I used to have - which preferred 3300 ohms.

What cart are you using with it?

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

It's a great-sounding phono stage but the "easily changed" phono settings are only 9 in number:

• 47K.

These values favour those LOMCs which have low recommended loadings ... but, for instance, would not suit the Benz LP which I used to have - which preferred 3300 ohms.

What cart are you using with it?

Andy

Got the Benz Micro Ace SL.

5 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Got the Benz Micro Ace SL.

That might just be OK rodders!  :)

Specs say Micro Ace SL loading is >120 ohms.

This is precisely 10x the coil resistance - ie. 120 ohms is obtained by the commonly used "10x" factor, in terms of loading.

I will merely point out that my Benz LP (coil resistance 33 ohms) sounded best at 3300 ohms - so 100x coil resistance.

Given the Micro Ace's coil resistance is 12 ohms ... if you used the 1K option, I expect you would find this the best sound out of all the options the GN offers.  I doubt giving it 1200 ohms loading would change the sound for the better.

Andy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

That might just be OK rodders!  :)

Specs say Micro Ace SL loading is >120 ohms.

This is precisely 10x the coil resistance - ie. 120 ohms is obtained by the commonly used "10x" factor, in terms of loading.

I will merely point out that my Benz LP (coil resistance 33 ohms) sounded best at 3300 ohms - so 100x coil resistance.

Given the Micro Ace's coil resistance is 12 ohms ... if you used the 1K option, I expect you would find this the best sound out of all the options the GN offers.  I doubt giving it 1200 ohms loading would change the sound for the better.

Andy

I agree with Andy.    Benz carts need to be run more open as they can sound a little polite and lacking extension imo - try higher loading and see how it sounds.

• Like 1

I’ve heard the Lyra Delos and of course have the DV XX2.
The Delos sounded a little lean to me and quite bright.
Whereas the DV XX2 more neutral with a slight elevation in the bass.
This review shows the FR of the DV XX2:
(apologies if it’s not too clear)
IMG_0047.jpg

• Like 1

May I suggest the Dynavector Karat 17d3 ( now replaced by 17dx). It has the best virtues of the Delos and the XX2. 

I preferred it to the xX2. The Xx2 was a bit too dark for me. I think the 17d3 was the biggest bargain out there in vinyl land. It’s fast lively and colourful without sounding fizzy or bright which annoyed me about the Delos when I had one. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Interesting the karat suggestion but it is 11g which is outside the range of my akito tonearm which is rated to 10g.  I was hoping to get something today. Melbourne hifi seem to have dynavector but sonic purity almost sounds like a side business for the two blokes that run it. No info on business hours on website so I rang and it seemed to be more sporadic than set times and no weekend. Makes it difficult to test before purchase.

9 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Interesting the karat suggestion but it is 11g which is outside the range of my akito tonearm which is rated to 10g.  I was hoping to get something today. Melbourne hifi seem to have dynavector but sonic purity almost sounds like a side business for the two blokes that run it. No info on business hours on website so I rang and it seemed to be more sporadic than set times and no weekend. Makes it difficult to test before purchase.

I beleive the Akito has an effective mass of 9-10gm. The Karat is 15cu so will work perfectly with your arm. You should get a resonance frequency of 9hz. 

1 minute ago, hugo_wilco said:

I beleive the Akito has an effective mass of 9-10gm. The Karat is 15cu so will work perfectly with your arm. You should get a resonance frequency of 9hz. 

For the money that throws some serious consideration. I now nothing about this stuff and just assumed the cart would need to be within that range. Thanks for the info @hugo_wilco. I see the new karat is US$2250 which is at least AUD$3156.

The D3 is currently $1760.

48 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

You might still be able to buy the older version of the 17D3 which is much lighter and cheaper. I have one and IMO it is a fabulous cart very fast and has so much musicality.  It is neutral and true to the recording.

• Like 2