AT Spandex screen using wire frame

Guest niterida

Guest niterida

I have had a quick search here and on the WWW but haven't found anything even remotely like I am thinking of building. So I am asking here to see if anyone has tried this or have any thoughts on my idea.

Basically I would like to hang an AT Spandex screen similar to how shade sails are hung (but vertically mounted obviously). Now I know shade sails have curved sides but this is only to stop them flapping in the wind once they are pulled tight. I am not 100% certain, as it depends on who is in my theatre at the time, but I am pretty sure wind is not going to be an issue wink.gif

It will be built by using 4 eye bolts mounted to the wall either side of the screen. These will create a rectangle slightly bigger than the screen itself. The screen will then be made with 2 layers of spandex and sewn with a hem that will allow the wire to pass through and the wire will be connected to the 4 eye bolts at each corner with a turnbuckle to enable the screen to be tightened and made flat.

Any thoughts ?

I use spandex in my screen, but its a LP morgan frame where the original screen ripped so replaced it wit grey spandex. I ordered it from US and got the name of another forum. I can dig it up if you like. In short it does work well but compared to the custom projector material the image is softer with a little haze around sharp edges and the picture is not as bright. You can pick-up 2nd had projector screens pretty cheaply now days so unless there was a specific need to use spandex / wire frame id probably recommend just sourcing a 2nd had one.

Guest niterida
IT WORKS :)

So I bought a piece of silver backed spandex form the local store and made a quick prototype and it is amazing. I am only pulling it hand tight from one point with a bit of speaker wire so that is why there is so much of a curve to the edges. When I do it for real it will be turnbuckled at all 4 corners so pretty sure I can get it almost straight. If not then I can always add a black border somehow - I haven't figured out exactly how I am going to treat the screen edge just yet - may be just some curtains. Either way this frame is a darn sight easier and cheaper than making a wooden frame methinks.

I am also going to use this silver backed spandex for the real thing - only need one piece and the image is awesome. So much more contrast and deeper colours (have a look at the blue shirt) and even the screen text seems to be a lot more in focus compared to my white painted wall. And it was only $8AUD a metre - woohoo !!

20190218_165734.jpg

20190218_165830.jpg

20190218_165845.jpg

20190218_165940.jpg

Edited by niterida

Guest niterida

Did another test today using proper wire cable and turnbuckle. Pulling from just one corner gets it pretty straight but it needs to be pulled from all 4 corners.

That's tomorrows job when I can get more turnbuckles.

Although if I don't stretch the spandex too much then there needs to be less tension on the wire to keep it straight. I had planned on stretching it 10% from 1500mm to 1650mm high but if I have to I can live with it at a native 1500mm which will have just enough stretch to keep it taut.

20190222_185119.jpg

20190222_185128.jpg

Guest niterida

Yes - there is no loss of SPL on my SPL app but you can hear a slight difference. Not enough to worry me though and at a total cost of around $50 I am certainly not complaining.

I have come to the conclusion that unless you do a direct comparison with something that is noticeably better you will be more than happy with what you have/can afford when it comes to audio visual gear.

That screen is going to have a pretty sizable rolloff in the upper frequencies. But you should be able to EQ it.

You are getting no change in your app app because bass is probably the dominant (loudest) frequency anyway from your speakers.

Guest niterida
15 hours ago, Javs said:

That screen is going to have a pretty sizable rolloff in the upper frequencies. But you should be able to EQ it.

Why do you say that ? Spandex is supposedly the best thing to make an AT screen from ?

15 hours ago, Javs said:

You are getting no change in your app app because bass is probably the dominant (loudest) frequency anyway from your speakers.

The app wasn't showing any change in any frequency when using the test tone from the AVR :)

3 hours ago, niterida said:

Why do you say that ? Spandex is supposedly the best thing to make an AT screen from ?

The app wasn't showing any change in any frequency when using the test tone from the AVR :)

The test tones are broadband first of all. Which includes some mid bass frequncies, they are still dominant in most speakers when placed in a room.

I also know exactly that material, I have put my hands on it, its no longer spandex really, its laminated spandex, you cannot breathe through it, as such, high frequency is going to have a huge amount of trouble penetrating it, might sound normal to you, but its going to be very much there.

If you like it, good for you man, but you are saying it does not affect from your phone app which is the most uncertain possible way to test this, I have actually measured real multiple real AT fabrics and even velvet to see what it does. The velvet had a killer rolloff in high frequencies up to like 10db on the very top end, this will fall somewhere in the middle.

Proper un-laminated spandex is fibrous much like a woven screen, there are microscopic air holes everywhere.

Guest niterida

Well it was $32 for 4m of the stuff and since I am old and can't hear high frequencies very well, it will do for me :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest niterida

So the need for a wire frame has gone and I am just going to use a wooden frame.

But I threw the spandex up to see how it would go and it is brilliant. I cannot hear any difference in sound quality with the speaker behind and the image quality looks awesome. The photo below is just the single layer of silver backed spandex with nothing behind it except the speakers and there is no light passing through it and reflecting back :)

2019-03-20 20.38.30.jpg

well done, i actually could not understand why you didnt use wood in the first place haha

i hope you didnt use the usual youtube flimsy stuff but then you didnt use what i did (90x35) and now i cant lift the damn thing by myself haha

i probably need to do a similar screen due to room design so i say keep on doing your own thing. nothing like saying its your idea/design/build.

Guest niterida

Quick note about this spandex with the silver backing - DO NOT FOLD IT !!

When I bought it they folded up and I unfolded it when I got home but that was enough to damage the silver backing and now I have dark lines on the screen. Really noticeable when there is a light image :(