FS: ORTOFON SPU 15T CARTRIDGE AND STYLUS

Item: ORTOFON SPU 15T (onboard mc transformer)
Price: $600 
Item Condition: VERY GOOD
Reason for selling:moved to decca ffss
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD  can post 
Extra Info:   Very collectable Ortofon MC -- has onboard MC stage --  sounds delightful.  Would keep but am heavily invested in my Decca set up .  Was used on my 301 Garrard 

Pictures:

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108 (1).jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Edited by helotoby
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, helotoby said:

Item: ORTOFON SPU 15T (onboard mc transformer)
Price: $600 
Item Condition: VERY GOOD
Reason for selling:moved to decca ffss
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD  can post 
Extra Info:   Very collectable Ortofon MC -- has onboard MC stage --  sounds delightful.  Would keep but am heavily invested in my Decca set up .  Was used on my 301 Garrard 

Pictures:

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108 (1).jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Is the stylus field replaceable? And what age the stylus? 

The Ortofon  MC cartridge shown is the S15-T circa 1966, which superceded the earlier SPU. This S15 was introduced at the time 'Trackability' became an important  issue in reducing record and stylus wear and being able to track recordings at reduced stylus pressures was a feature of this model. The stylus is not user replaceable and  the cartridge had to be returned to the Melbourne importers for the fitting of a changeover assembly.

Edited by VanArn

1 to 2 gram is the information from the Vinyl Engine site. The minimum  downward force would be highly dependent on the arm used, anti-skate provision and of course the levels encountered on the  vinyl records of the 1960,s.

if you mean, can they re-tip the stylus,  then that is a question for whoever does the work for the Garrott service section run by Tivoli. The only issue that I have with having a replacement diamond fitted is that the essential damping washers may no longer be in pristine condition and these are crucial in being able to have the coil block pivot  about a central position in the magnetic field as well as control the high frequency  tip mass/ groove wall compliance resonance.

I am unaware if the Ortofon company or their current Australian agents  still provide a changeover service for the S 15 or the similar SL 15 moving coil  cartridges.  The models after all , are over 50 years  of age. Certainly Ortofon fitted all new parts to the changeover assemblies and did not  just re-tip with new diamonds.

• Like 1