Jump to content

itunes - changing bit rates when transferring music files to iphone


Recommended Posts

Hi folks - 

 

I've looked everywhere on the net to try and resolve this with no luck.

 

On my mac i have files at the highest bit rate (ripped from CD) - typically around 800 kb/s.

 

When copying these to my iphone 8 itunes converts them to 256 kb/s.  I would like them to be at least 320 kb/s but can't work out how to do this - i've gone through all the settings to no avail.

 

Has anyone faced this issue or have any ideas about how to resolve?

 

It seems as though IoS is all about limiting file sizes to maximise song numbers!

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites





On 16/02/2019 at 1:01 PM, wadiman said:

The music files have already been imported into the imac using lossless - the issue is about getting those files as is (with high bit rates) onto the iphone

 

Are they in .alac format or something else when you import them onto iTunes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Man, just reading all these posts has me wondering - how does anyone cope with all this hoop jumping Apple makes you do just to use their product. I know for a (long) while you couldn't use flac - I guess that's changed (or is it alac only?), however not being allowed a .wav file on something that probably cost $500 - $1000 !? 

 

But I'm not the one to talk I guess - having gone away from smartphones altogether 2 and a bit years ago (used to have an Android). Android (Google) is getting just as bad, however in slightly different ways, hence my departure into non-smart (klever) phones.

Edited by zippi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zippi said:

Man, just reading all these posts has me wondering - how does anyone cope with all this hoop jumping Apple makes you do just to use their product. I know for a (long) while you couldn't use flac - I guess that's changed (or is it alac only?), however not being allowed a .wav file on something that probably cost $500 - $1000 !?

They also took away the headphone jack. Apple phones are not a particularly good choice for audiophiles. (No offense to the OP of course)

 

2 hours ago, zippi said:

But I'm not the one to talk I guess - having gone away from smartphones altogether 2 and a bit years ago (used to have an Android). Android (Google) is getting just as bad, however in slightly different ways, hence my departure into non-smart (klever) phones.

I used an Android phone (LG V30+) and it plays .wav files just fine.  

Edited by LHC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, zippi said:

however not being allowed a .wav file on something that probably cost $500 - $1000 !? 

The Apple way ... rightly or wrongly .... is to not provide you too many options, especially unnecessary ones.    I can totally understand Apple not supporting a format like .wav as a first class citizen due to all the problems with it.

 

FLAC on the other hand....   That's them being a bit more stubborn.    They see no need for it when ALAC exists....   but offer no really usable end-user tools to help people play ball.

 

11 hours ago, LHC said:

They also took away the headphone jack.

As is everyone else in some way or another, now or later.    As usual, Apple were just first to strike.

 

The same hand wringing was done when Apple introduced USB years earlier than everyone else.... although this time they are obviously being a lot more brave using a propriety connector.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

As usual, Apple were just first to strike.

Spot on. The whole lot will converge into a single GOOPPLE APPOOGLE uber phone soonish, where distinctions will be few to none between the competitors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Hi all - thanks for the commentary and thoughts.

 

I was mistaken with what I said earlier - the files in itunes (on the mac) are in lossless format.

 

When any files are added to the iphone itunes from itunes on the mac (even if bit rate is say 900 kb/s) they are downgraded to 256 kb/s.

Edited by wadiman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wadiman said:

Hi all - thanks for the commentary and thoughts.

 

I was mistaken with what I said earlier - the files in itunes (on the mac) are in lossless format.

 

When any files are added to the iphone itunes from itunes on the mac (even if bit rate is say 900 kb/s) they are downgraded to 256 kb/s.

Just make sure you untick the "convert higher bitrate songs to"

They will stay as lossless ALAC, AIFF or WAV

 

986849507_ScreenShot2019-02-23at6_32_20pm.png.6aafa0103b27bb3d930a8443dbc380c0.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
To Top