Bose 301's

Hi all,

I am running two pairs of Bose 301's (1 series IV and 1 series 5). I'm happy with the sound but feel if I increase the volume (on some songs) I need another pair to share the load. (I'm running through a switch box).

I am wondering if anyone can advise if there is a better and louder bookshelf I should be looking at within the same price range of the 301's, or just grab another pair?

Hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm always fiddling trying to get better and louder sound.

Cheers

John

Guest Muon N'

I just went to the Bose site to see the 301's, they don't seem to even specify the frequency response let alone something like a impedance plot :huh:

For others trying to help, please let us know what amplification you are using and where you will be positioning them, on shelves? stands? ect'.

Also, you mention louder, can you elaborate on this?

In such a budget, best to look to the used market to maximise bang for buck.

Oh, and welcome to SNA :thumb:

23 hours ago, barn door said:

Bose isn’t exactly a brand that gets much airtime around here.

That was nicely put, but I suspect it understates the negative sentiment here for many things Bose..  I do own and like Bose noise canceling headphones but that is probably one of the few Bose products which has some support here.

@John65 , :welcome:.   

Bose is a brand which is seen by many here as marketing first, looks second and audio quality third.   Sorry, you like the Bose 301s, but you are unlikely get any advice here supporting more Bose speakers.  If you are looking to get more Bose products, suggest a Bose forum like this

If you are open to changing, please let us know more about your room, the rest of the equipment, layout of equipment, type of music.  You mention liking music to be louder, but what else is important?  

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your replies.

The balance of my system is Onkyo A9030 amplifier, SM8SL Dac, 6J1 tube preamplifier (with upgraded tubes), western digital media player and 70" full HD TV.

Room is an open alfresco area about 40m2. My music ranges from 70's all the way to current music. 

Pop, disco, mainstream, rock, metal (all sorts)

I have the speakers at about 4 feet above ground and about 2 /12 metres apart. For the best part the sound is pretty good at low to moderate volumes. Some, but not all songs, test the quality when I go up a notch on the amp. 

Maybe that's something all bookshelves may do?

How are you connecting the two pairs of speakers to the Onkyo?  You mentioned a switch of some sort?  Do you have a diagram?

For others, the only additional spec for the speakers in the manual is this:

301: Compatible with amplifiers and receivers rated from 10 to 150 watts per channel. Rated 4 - 8 ohms

The Onkyo is rated 65 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, IEC)

Late when I posted above. The Bose 301 should be able to go louder when driven by the Onkyo.  

Try connecting one pair of speakers directly to the Onkyo, without switch. Swap to other pair.  If it works, then problem could be switch and/or how 2 pairs of speakers are setup, hence the request for a sketch, diagram.

If there is still a problem, and both sets of speakers (connected 1 pair at a time) cannot cope with higher volume, then investigate changing to different speakers. See if you can borrow some other speakers.

Otherwise, may be a problem with the Onkyo.

Hi John. I have not heard the 301s but do some research and speaker auditioning before you change. I would try the above suggestion from snoopy. There is a lot of bose bashing goes on in the internet. I have the 901s and so far have not found a better speaker for their size and price. It took me a long time and several amps to get the best from them and the 301s may be the same. They are hungry for power. I had a 1000 watts at one stage and that did drive them nicely. Don't be to quick to discount them. Also 4 speakers may be overloading the amp. Don't know to much about what that could do. There must be others here that can answer that.

I had a 1000 watts at one stage and that did drive them nicely. Don't be to quick to discount them.

[i apologies for my outburst in advance]

Sorry, but any sub $20k speaker needing 1000 watts to drive them should be thrown out. Ridiculous.

Unless you are talking about a Bose description of 1000 watts, in that case more like 40 watts.

[rant over]

Had a Yamaha PX10 pro amp. Rated 1000 watts into 8 ohm. Up until then the other amps I had clipped on bass. Nad 375bee. Small MF 50 watt. Phase Linear. Harmon Kardon and a few others. The extra headroom of the Yamaha amp seemed to drive them without problems. They all could drive them easily at low volumes but struggled with volume. Just wondering if the 301 have the same issues.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
On 13/02/2019 at 10:56 PM, John65 said:

Hi all,

I am running two pairs of Bose 301's (1 series IV and 1 series 5). I'm happy with the sound but feel if I increase the volume (on some songs) I need another pair to share the load. (I'm running through a switch box).

I am wondering if anyone can advise if there is a better and louder bookshelf I should be looking at within the same price range of the 301's, or just grab another pair?

Hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm always fiddling trying to get better and louder sound.

Cheers

John

If you are running two pairs and the switch box mean they run in parallel, then the Impedance is halved, so if the speakers are nominal 8 ohms then with two sets in parallel then the amp sees 4ohms. BUT speaker don't sit at the nominal impedance throughout the frequency range and there are often peaks and dips, so you can have places within that range where the impedance drops even lower.

Add a third set in parallel and things would go crazy low where not many amps could handle that load.

What about some muti zone amp, where it is made to run multiple sets of speakers, but that's more $$$ I guess.

Edited by Muon N'

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

If you are running two pairs and the switch box mean they run in parallel, then the Impedance is halved, so if the speakers are nominal 8 ohms then with two sets in parallel then the amp sees 4ohms. 

Agree that could be a possiblity, hence request for sketch of connection. The test for 1 pair at a time will tell whether the Onkyo can cope in the first place with maybe inefficient speakers. @John65 any updates?