Looking at a Rega RP6 - what cartridge ?

OK I know that the RP6 is superseded, and there will probably be better options out there – but I have always ached for one when I first saw a RED one many years ago.  Call me superficial ?.  However back then I could not justify the spend, as my spare $$ went to my other passion – cars……and oh, mortgage, family, super….  And TBH I am happy with my trusty NAD 5120, but time for something better  

Anyways a bit of good fortune of late means I have a few $$ looking to be spent on an indulgence.  Before I blow it on another unnecessary (but totally cool) car part I thought I better buy that turntable. 

There are few run-out RP6 available at a very attractive price.  My Question is what cartridge ???  Do I get the accepted Exact or spend the saving on something a like the Ania.  Is this an overkill ??  Are there any other cartridge alternatives  ??

I will importantly stress – I am not an Audiophile, other than cars my other passion is music, especially alt / garage / indie from the 60’s to the 90’s. I like to hunt and collect rare vinyl of that era. The quality of the vinyl of that era is hit and miss (mostly miss).  So when I purchase HiFi gear I seek quality, value and solid performance rather chasing some ideal purity….which would be totally lost on my vinyl collection.  The TT will be connected to NAD amp and Krix speakers

Cheers

Hi mate, they are still nice turntables so no issue there!

They are so popular that a quick google search would bring up a range of carts from $200 up to $2k... 

Figure out how much you want to spend, then google is your friend. If you cant find any info when searching the forums then send a message and id love to help.

my 2cents that if you are running straight into the Amp, no Phono stage, then keep it under $600 or so for the cart.

39 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

What Nad amp is it? What krix speakers?

A 3020 (yes its old but I cannot let go - and its been modded) and Euphonix speakers.  Its a surprisingly punchy combo 

I think I am boiled down to the Exact or the Orofon 2M Bronze, or maybe the Black .... if it is not lost on the Amp 

9 minutes ago, KidOctane said:

A 3020 (yes its old but I cannot let go - and its been modded) and Euphonix speakers.  Its a surprisingly punchy combo 

I think I am boiled down to the Exact or the Orofon 2M Bronze, or maybe the Black .... if it is not lost on the Amp 

We have very similar needs, somewhat similar setups, and near identical music tastes. I had an RP6 from brand new, with the Exact in, and found it wanting. I’d swap it out for a 2M Blue or better. Maybe have a look at an Audio Technica?

I bet it sounds great.

i think you’m fund better bang for your buck with non rega carts.

ive had the black and loved it, on a modded rp3.

currently using a garrott p77i which is sounding very very good.

a lot of carts around your budget, and enough reviews online to give you a gauge of what they sound like. 

Edit: cant go wrong with the 2m bronze rega combo.

Edited by Andrews_melb

IMVHO Rega carts are almost never the best at any price point,or category, in which they compete. The reason for the popularity of Ortofon and Rega carts is mainly because there is fcuk all else available at most dealers to actually audition.

It ends up almost always being a lottery.

Whatever cart you end up choosing, be aware that the phono stage in your amplifier is almost always the limiting factor in the final result.

My advice, FWIW, is to buy a decent mid range cart and spend some cash on a superior outboard phono stage. Not only will this give you a better result but, it will allow you a lot of flexibility in your future for cart ( and amplifier ) upgrades.

• Like 1

I run a modded rega p25 and have a 2m black and love the combo. Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds as they pop up with some regularity. 100% agree with rantan re the phono stage. Save some bucks on a 2nd hand cart and compliment it with a good 2nd hand phono stage and you're set. I spin vinyl for a good couple of hours a night (most nights) and I've had the black on mine for approx. 18 months and it still sounds great. Good luck with your quest.