Weston Acoustics or McChanson amps

Hi All, Okay, from the thread title, I am wanting to hear from people who have owned and/or heard both a Weston Acoustics and a McChanson amp and how did they compare, both in build and sound, to each other ? as I am interested in both and I could not find a comparison either here or elsewhere. Thanks. 

• Like 1

That is a loaded question 

Both are capable builders 

It’s the little things that make one amp more desirable over the other 

I have Weston amps because just about every aspect of the amp is hand made including the hand wound ourput transformers 

https://darko.audio/2011/07/weston-acoustics-troubadour-integrated-amplifier/

Hi, Yeah, I know, just about any question is potentially loaded, even a passing comment, here and other forums, I just don’t take it to heart anymore, I know and understand that they are different and that’s the rub, How and in which way are they different ? in components used, circuits and most importantly, sound

Edited by Digital Man

Guest CCallil

I recently owned a McChanson KT88 amplifier for a few months, and it was a great sounding amplifier for the price (around $600-700 secondhand).

I haven't owned a Weston Acoustics amp, so I couldn't A/B test. But I would harbour a guess that an equivalent model from Earl Weston, would probably be superior. Mainly due to him winding all the transformers in-house, would assume he would have a tighter handle on quality control and performance? This is only a guess though. 

But at that price difference, it's not really a fair comparison. 

Hi, Yes, I know that in some ways it really isn’t a fair comparison, but the curiosity factor lingers, in regards to the transformers, what does McChanson actually use ? and are they bad, Okay, just so-So or excellent ?

Now that I think about it some more, maybe that is where I should start, from a technical/sound point of view, how important is a hand wound transformer to say, one bought of the shelf ? Is one bought of the shelf just as good or even better than a hand wound transformer ? If so, what are the actual benefits ?

• Like 1

It depends on whether or not the person winding the transformer has the know how and is competent with hand winding a transformer properly. Bottom line is that there are crap off the shelf mass produced transformers and crap individually hand wound transformers that are poorly designed, wound or not properly tested.

I know both builders and have owned products from both, McChanson’s designs and builds are nice but he is using most off the shelf products. Earl Westons products are mostly all hand made from the housing frames, hand wound transformers, hand sprayed transformer covers/bells to the chassis. Due to this, Earl has better control on the quality of his products and as such command a much higher price. 

Both are nice sounding soundwise.

Edited by F18
  • Like 1

Just now, PKay said:

If I was going to get a valve amp it would be one of Earle’s amps. They just look like a work of art. So beautifully made. 

+1 on that.

I have owned  a Weston amplifier some time ago and regret selling it to this day.

I have heard a few Mc Chanson amplifiers and while they are decent I don't think they are in the same league. I acknowledge that the Weston amplifiers are more expensive but given the quality it is money very well spent.

• Like 1

I haven't heard WA amps but had a few of MC amps and now still have one I really like. I heard others twice the price of MC and I reckon his OS better in every way, however mine is not the standard MC version, I have upgraded many parts and the current version using interstage trannies so it is caps free and I must say it sounds very nice. Also nice tubes are important. If you buy MC amps you need to upgrade the parts and you won't be disappointed. Especially if you are 8n Sydney. And MC can custom your taste even particular tubes that you like and he can design one for you. My 2cents

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi, Yeah, I know, just about any question is potentially loaded, even a passing comment, here and other forums, I just don’t take it to heart anymore, I know and understand that they are different and that’s the rub, How and in which way are they different ? in components used, circuits and most importantly, sound

I owned a WA and do not regret selling it. My current amp uses Hammond OPT and it sounds superior in every aspect absolutely beautiful.

As for the Mc Chanson amps, I cannot comment other than that they look cheap to me. The OPT look to small for decent performance.

They are cheap for a reason!

If you cannot listen to one through your system, don't waste your money.

40 minutes ago, PKay said:

If I was going to get a valve amp it would be one of Earle’s amps. They just look like a work of art. So beautifully made. 

Something beautifully made does not equate to it sounding beautifully good. Always listen to it first, I know a few people who bought WA amps because it looked great and endorsed by some owners here but they did not like the sound out of them and moved onto other amplifiers.

Edited by F18
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, F18 said:

Something beautifully made does not equate to it sounding beautifully good. 

Very True. I think the OP is asking about choosing between the two. Over the years there have been some fabulous reviews of Earle’s amps. When you look at the internal photos they are so well constructed and if I were ever to get some valves they would be one of the first amps I would audition. 

Try before you buy is an absolute must. 

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=earle+weston+300b+time+machine&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj76sf645TeAhUKaI8KHeP3B6UQ_AUIEigC&biw=375&bih=553#imgrc=YGJNLIAT_GhQNM

Edited by PKay

Hi All, Okay, from the thread title, I am wanting to hear from people who have owned and/or heard both a Weston Acoustics and a McChanson amp and how did they compare, both in build and sound, to each other ? as I am interested in both and I could not find a comparison either here or elsewhere. Thanks. 

Hi, Yes, I know that in some ways it really isn’t a fair comparison, but the curiosity factor lingers, in regards to the transformers, what does McChanson actually use ? and are they bad, Okay, just so-So or excellent ?

Now that I think about it some more, maybe that is where I should start, from a technical/sound point of view, how important is a hand wound transformer to say, one bought off the shelf ? Is one bought off the shelf just as good or even better than a hand wound transformer ? If so, what are the actual benefits ?

You seem to have a serious problem, DM - which to me ... there is only one way to solve!  :)  You have to buy both amps ... and then report back.  :)   Because no-one, it seems, has previously compared both amps.

Sure, that's a PITA - and expensive!  :(  But no-one is going to be able to answer your above questions - so you need to listen yourself - and then you'll be able to see what carefully wound O/P trannies (wound by someone who knows what they're doing) ... do to the sound.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi, I have had two Weston Acoustics amps last year, great sounding, a Troubadour and a KT120, I liked both, I am not asking for people’s opinion for me to know which to buy, by comparing Weston Acoustics amps to McChanson, just a genuine curiosity as to what others, whom have heard and/or owned both and how they would compare the two. Thanks 

Whichever one you choose it needs to work well with your partnering equipment.

So unless everyone that’s offering opinions has the same tastes, room and equipment this could just be a futile exercise.

But at the same time I would tend to choose the better engineered product if I could afford it.

For instance neither would work well in my setup but does not mean they are no good.

But I did get to try one of Earles Time Machines. But only as a pre. It was excellent, probably a better fit sound wise than what I was using at the time.

• Like 2

• Volunteer
13 minutes ago, joz said:

Whichever one you choose it needs to work well with your partnering equipment.

So unless everyone that’s offering opinions has the same tastes, room and equipment this could just be a futile exercise.

But at the same time I would tend to choose the better engineered product if I could afford it.

For instance neither would work well in my setup but does not mean they are no good.

But I did get to try one of Earles Time Machines. But only as a pre. It was excellent, probably a better fit sound wise than what I was using at the time.

Precisely!

• 1 year later...

I own both a Weston Acoustics Topaz and a McChanson 6sa7/5998 ( running 5998).

I like the McChanson a lot more.

However; they are completely different types of amp. PP v SE.

Where I said I prefer the Mc sound, it doesn't do so well with rock or classical at louder volumes

Whereas the Weston has the balls and much better bottom end to deliver there.

But it's really my fault here as my speakers are only 92db efficient and so there's not a lot of headroom to play with, which Eric Mc warns you about recommending at least 94db efficient speakers for higher volume levels. However it still gets loud enough for me but I do miss the tight and deep bottom  end from the Topaz.

• Love 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All, Yes, it’s been a while for this thread, so, let me update and inform you all that I have just made a secondhand purchase of a McChanson amp, from the original owner, whom has only used it for approximately 50 hours or less in the last 4 years of his ownership, it is a McChanson timE KT 120 SET headphone amp, the owner also had Eric include an output stage, so it can drive speakers as well, once I receive it and listen to it, I will then report back to you all of my impressions with it.

• Like 5