Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

If you are not searching for an improvement in the sound why would you consider an upgrade?

Sorry if you misunderstood my reply. I mean im looking for sound quality upgrade.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Copy and pasted my answer from another thread.     I have had the vault 2i in my system since Christmas and I must say I'm very happy with it. I have never really been that keen on

@rantan I have finally got my stuff together. Today I wired my phono amp to my Powernode 2i with an Audioquest Victoria RCA to 3.5mm jack cable. I haven’t been able to listen to vinyl for ov

Well it took me a while. Upgraded for Christmas.  It's true. The 2i is a significant improvement as a streamer. Far better than I expected.

On 26/03/2020 at 12:46 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

NODE 2 with issues

I bought a nODe 2 here a while back and am just getting it going (now that have a house with internet- i was using my phone as a server before and it didnt like that)

Basicallyly I can't get it to work. I have an iphone 6s which is up to date. I start the connection process and the Node 2 blinks , it goes on blinking for some time and the phone app is spinning then eventually the blinking stops, then a bit later the phone app tells me that it encountered an error. Then is settings I discover that its no longer connecting the node hotspot. So maybe after time it looses interest in the process? 

Rather annoyingly the phone also seems to switch out of the home network and into the node one at various times of the day, meaning that I loose me internet connection.

I do have a couple of spare phones (androids) so I will try them when I can find them (still moving into new house)- but any suggestions would be welcome

Might be a stupid question but have you tried the Quick Start Guide?

https://www.bluesound.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BLS_NODE-2_QSG_.pdf

1 hour ago, wolster said:

@Alpine Electrocats

Did this get solved?

Hoping that connecting to the internet helped.

Yes , just last week, now that I have moved house it’s good

it needed a direct connection to the router, which was a bit annoying 

Edited by Alpine Electrocats
Fix
  • Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

I just moved all my apple lossless files onto a 1 TB portable hard drive, and the Node  sees it but not the content. Has anyone else had a problem like that? 

@Alpine Electrocats

Try removing the power connector for 10 secs and re-plugging. The Node might then see the files.

No idea if this will work but that it what I would try next ;)

On 12/04/2020 at 5:26 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

I just moved all my apple lossless files onto a 1 TB portable hard drive, and the Node  sees it but not the content. Has anyone else had a problem like that? 

What file format on the HDD? Maybe the Node doesn't like the file system?

• Like 1
On 12/04/2020 at 9:12 AM, Alpine Electrocats said:

Yes , just last week, now that I have moved house it’s good

it needed a direct connection to the router, which was a bit annoying 

Speaking of such, I have a Vault 2, and suffer the same problem. Has anyone ever successfully connected to the internet by having a Bluesound plugged into a wifi bridge, and the bridge connected to the router via wifi? Direct cabling is going to be a pita for me.

On 12/04/2020 at 5:26 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

that's how mine works off a samsung 1TB SSD plugged in via usb. worked on node 2 and now node 2i so should work..... just click on the usb... and should show... there are 2 usb showings on the node. check both....

On 20/04/2020 at 6:04 PM, betty boop said:

that's how mine works off a samsung 1TB SSD plugged in via usb. worked on node 2 and now node 2i so should work..... just click on the usb... and should show... there are 2 usb showings on the node. check both....

It turned out that the hard drive was sick ,, reformatted now

On 20/04/2020 at 5:15 PM, t_mike said:

Speaking of such, I have a Vault 2, and suffer the same problem. Has anyone ever successfully connected to the internet by having a Bluesound plugged into a wifi bridge, and the bridge connected to the router via wifi? Direct cabling is going to be a pita for me.

I’m setting that up tonight, will try tomorrow and let you know. I just tried it with a bridge and no dice . It’s not the most powerful bridge , in fact it’s a $12 cheapie, but it works fo other devces

Edited by Alpine Electrocats
Update
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 10:48 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

I’m setting that up tonight, will try tomorrow and let you know. I just tried it with a bridge and no dice . It’s not the most powerful bridge , in fact it’s a $12 cheapie, but it works fo other devces

I had no luck with a bridge, the Vault just didn't want to play. It connected to the internet OK, play lights turned blue, but it wouldn't connect to the operating device. Using an Ethernet over power kit worked a treat and now working perfectly.

Hi

Has anyone upgraded their bluesound node 2i with the teddy pardo upgraded power supply, if so has it made a big difference?

cheers 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest dr_carl

My experience in running my Node 2 was very much a function of my home network WiFi signal strength and stability. 

When unboxed it was connected by Ethernet to my router and was up and running perfect in 5 minutes...I felt like I was in an ad. Then I get the NBN and can no longer have router wired to the node, so I was forced to connect via WiFi. Not a great experience. Eventually I moved my music to a usb drive connected direct to the node and that works very well indeed, good sound and very stable. Streaming was pain though. 

Problem solved by replacing my router with a mesh system and then assigning IP addresses to everything. 

In short, BluOS is great, but you have to have a good stable well organised home WiFi network.  I was living with a network that was ok for Netflix etc on the telly and browsing on the PC but running a more integrated product requires better infrastructure. 

I find that "nothing good is easy "...thanks for reading. 

Edited by dr_carl
22 hours ago, rowbo said:

For any Bluesound unit owners who use BluOs app via an iPad MINI - the app currently is unusable and Bluesound are working on a fix.

https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=26873&sid=c7c511666af4963e2433060218c0907a#p26873 

This is now fixed - the iOS app just needs to be updated. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@Mike13

If you are using an external DAC, I'm thinking you would probably need one with a headphone socket, otherwise you would lose the benefit.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Blusouund 2 has stopped connecting yet again.

i have moved my stereo once again and regular as clockwork the blusound won’t connect to my phone

it will connect ( though poorly after 10 minutes) with my Mac in the next room so I presume the wiring is ok. I’m keen for solutions so  meanwhile back to the aux connection, and viny

1 minute ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Blusouund 2 has stopped connecting yet again.

i have moved my stereo once again and regular as clockwork the blusound won’t connect to my phone

it will connect ( though poorly after 10 minutes) with my Mac in the next room so I presume the wiring is ok. I’m keen for solutions so  meanwhile back to the aux connection, and viny

I have restarted my phone, but no change

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

I found to reconnect I have to switch it off and Restart, at the power board of course as it don’t got an on off switch 

Hi,

Are you connecting your node to your network via wi-fi?

And how is your wi-fi delivered?  I used to get the same issues as you when running a modem/router only. I now have a mesh system and my node is as solid as a rock. Its worth it, improves your whole internet situation. 

Carl

5 minutes ago, nowallet said:

Can anyone recommend the web radio option with the best access to high quality streams? I see radio.com, iheartradio, tuneIn...

Radio Paradise is excellent 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, nowallet said:

Can anyone recommend the web radio option with the best access to high quality streams? I see radio.com, iheartradio, tuneIn...

I use Tunein, and also highly recommend radio paradise. 

4 different flavors to choose from that you need to load in individually like separate stations.

• Like 1
On 29/09/2020 at 2:24 PM, dr_carl said:

Hi,

Are you connecting your node to your network via wi-fi?

And how is your wi-fi delivered?  I used to get the same issues as you when running a modem/router only. I now have a mesh system and my node is as solid as a rock. Its worth it, improves your whole internet situation. 

Carl

Well picked! it wont pick up my network, hard wired through a relay switch. I am going to move the router and see is it helps to go straight from that

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am looking to move away from USB as source. I use Tidal for a lot of my music. I have been thinking about raspberry pi. But that would require using Roon. I wouldn't mind that except that in my experience, Tidal just does not really work through Roon. So I'm thinking about maybe trying a Bluesound Node and using their app to stream tidal. I would be using an external DAC. I have a few questions:

Does the Bluesound Windows app output bitperfect digial to the DAC?

How is Tidal streaming through the Bluesound app? Do you get buffering or data drop outs?

What controls are there within the Bluesound app? Does it have EQ or balance controls?

How does the audio setup work from the Windows app, can it be set to control any midi device?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, redrich2000 said:

I am looking to move away from USB as source. I use Tidal for a lot of my music. I have been thinking about raspberry pi. But that would require using Roon. I wouldn't mind that except that in my experience, Tidal just does not really work through Roon. So I'm thinking about maybe trying a Bluesound Node and using their app to stream tidal. I would be using an external DAC. I have a few questions:

Does the Bluesound Windows app output bitperfect digial to the DAC?

How is Tidal streaming through the Bluesound app? Do you get buffering or data drop outs?

What controls are there within the Bluesound app? Does it have EQ or balance controls?

How does the audio setup work from the Windows app, can it be set to control any midi device?

Thanks 

I think there is some confusion here, the app is a controller only.

It is the Bluesound that delivers the stream to the DAC and has nothing to do with the device controlling it.

The controller will only control BluOS devices.

Edited by thathifiguy

If anyone else has the dreaded "sticky surface" problem I have found that a soft lint free cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol will completely remove it. Just don't rub too hard or it will start to remove the outer surface altogether. The grey "B" on the front will also rub off with alcohol which is no big deal IMO. In the past I have tried Orange Power Goo Dissolver, this made little difference, then yesterday I tried a kitchen sponge dampened with a solution of warm water and washing up liquid. This just made it REALLY sticky. Has anyone tried 303 Aerospace Protectant to preserve the surface BEFORE this degradation occurs? Reviews indicate it's good stuff and leaves a non-greasy finish.

Edited by Chigurh

On the 2pin ac power input, which is the live and neutral (look straight at the connector side of the component)?

• 4 weeks later...

For the node 2/2i users out there (I know there are many as the nodes sell so quickly on the classifieds!), I can highly recommend doing the linear power supply mod.  Relatively small outlay (<$200 for the module delivered from Poland.  As for a 5v linear power supply, plenty of options out there). 

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

very noticeable increase in SQ. Im just using my node2i as a digital streamer into my dsp/dac.  I would guess the improvement for users also using the node2/2i as a dac, would even be greater.  

• Like 2
On 12/03/2021 at 9:54 AM, Chigurh said:

If anyone else has the dreaded "sticky surface" problem I have found that a soft lint free cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol will completely remove it. Just don't rub too hard or it will start to remove the outer surface altogether. The grey "B" on the front will also rub off with alcohol which is no big deal IMO. In the past I have tried Orange Power Goo Dissolver, this made little difference, then yesterday I tried a kitchen sponge dampened with a solution of warm water and washing up liquid. This just made it REALLY sticky. Has anyone tried 303 Aerospace Protectant to preserve the surface BEFORE this degradation occurs? Reviews indicate it's good stuff and leaves a non-greasy finish.

Yep.  Quite disappointing that the surface of the Node goes sticky after about 12 months.  I would have much rathered they just had a hard surface than the rubber coating.  

Ending up just sitting down with the isopropyl alcohol had rubbed it all off (then moved it on).  I like them but wouldn’t buy another whilst they still have that coating.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, tuyen said:

For the node 2/2i users out there (I know there are many as the nodes sell so quickly on the classifieds!), I can highly recommend doing the linear power supply mod.  Relatively small outlay (<$200 for the module delivered from Poland.  As for a 5v linear power supply, plenty of options out there). 

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

very noticeable increase in SQ. Im just using my node2i as a digital streamer into my dsp/dac.  I would guess the improvement for users also using the node2/2i as a dac, would even be greater.  

Very nice

I posted on here that there was a Teddy Pardo upgrade but nobody here seemed to have tried it. Good to see other alternatives and better performance than stock.

My experience is that an aftermarket PSU has always improved things

Edited by Bunno77
add
  • 2 weeks later...

Node2i owners

I am looking at potentially buying a Node2i to use with an external DAC. Currently using a TEAC VRDS CD10 with Tentlabs mods but want to try the Node2i with an SSD drive of my ripped CD's for ease of use and playing Spotify. I will be using coax out from the Node2i into BNC in the CF040 DAC.

Do we have any dealer representation or offers on SNA or can anyone point me in the direction of where to get one at a decent price? 

Thanks