How noisy your TT is?

Hi guys, I have just upgraded my denon dp30l II TT with better signal cable, which made a huge difference.

The original one is not even shielded with proper copper braided wire, which picks up noise even when you touch the wire.

The ground wire is not copper either, and all the signal wire lengths are just too thin.

I used AMP shielded and ground wire to replace factory one.

The hum is much much lower now.

However it is still there. default_sad.png

I thought it was my phono stage, but without input from TT connected, it is as much quiet as my CD input.

I have also two phono stages, from RJM audio, one in the amp, one external, all properly grounded with absolutely no earth loop at all.

While the two phono sound exactly the same noise wise, I start to think may be the TT is picking up noise some where in side.

Anyone can help?

Regards,

Attached is my tt signal cable upgrade (need flux cleaned) and two phono stages. The hardwired one is in my amp, very close to the external one, which is deadly quiet.

827412f175107ce1d57ab2912a29fc29.jpg&key=f768fee9643940e10cd1488282ce66d1c2de39bcfc204d951dd22cb04eec2d3a089ff486deb464e321d3bced09bdb3a5.jpg&key=3f6e977c9d3c320ed479af93726b9d15d32944d60b2f17b06d3fdab3290f818f71dfba88d02e4b09ce1f519db5095f04.jpg&key=9154d8ab48368413d1e11319ed0cb2ecc6bfe38b824d7a4b845ed4e2899197e5

Just now, Jing said:

Ortofon red. Perhaps I need load capacitors for this?

Dunno if you’re hearing anything abnormal but maybe you just need to live with it..

LOMCs can be pretty noisy on a high volume if the output is minuscule too.

Dunno if you’re hearing anything abnormal but maybe you just need to live with it..

LOMCs can be pretty noisy on a high volume if the output is minuscule too.

problem solved!

Only one earth point is needed, which is the TT.

And input and output jack on the phone stage must be floating, and the phono stage only shares the earth point through the TT ground wire.

Cheers

• Like 3

Just now, Jing said:

problem solved!

Only one earth point is needed, which is the TT.

And input and output jack on the phone stage must be floating, and the phono stage only shares the earth point with the TT ground wire.

Cheers

Ah so it was an unusually loud noise. I thought you were being fussy lol well done

You can never get rid of the white noise from vinyls completely, right?

It is part of the vinyl experience.

But it is only audible on my system when volume is maximum.

I am very happy with my phono stage build. No PCB means less harm to the environment.

And the internal one had slightly more noise only if earthing is not properly done.

Maybe I can let some one else have the external one. default_smile.png

Didnt you sell one recently?

Yes I did. But It didn't even cover my cost.

But anyway, I don't need it as I have an internal one on PCB board.

Then I found I don't need the PCB one either, as it takes much room. So I took it out, and built a hardwired one instead, which I can put as close to the input jack as possible.

But to compare the result, I found a case for the PCB one and build a separate box.

Sound quality is the same, only the internal one in the amp is bit noiser.

Hardwiring is fun too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2018 at 6:08 PM, Jing said:

Only one earth point is needed, which is the TT

Hi

I had an annoying hum which went silent when I disconnected the earth wire from the phono pre amp. Can any one explain in simple terms if this can do any damage. Anything more than simple is likely to go over my head. Phono pre amp goes to pre then power amp.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi
I had an annoying hum which went silent when I disconnected the earth wire from the phono pre amp. Can any one explain in simple terms if this can do any damage. Anything more than simple is likely to go over my head. Phono pre amp goes to pre then power amp.
Thanks in advance.
Rob
You had an earth loop
Now you don't [emoji6]

6 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

The best way to earth is having the signal earth and the hot in an earth shield
With the earth shield connected to power supply earth at one end only

Thanks for the info. Lost me there.

Can I leave the earth off the phono pre amp and be happy the hum is gone or is there potential for damage that needs to be looked into?

Rob

1 hour ago, Hazzzy said:

Thanks for the info. Lost me there.

Can I leave the earth off the phono pre amp and be happy the hum is gone or is there potential for damage that needs to be looked into?

Rob

No potential for damage!  :thumb:

Andy