Thoughts on Richter speakers/Rega Brio and $2000 system

Hello, 

I am kind of new to the world of Hi-Fi audio and am just after some advice. 

I am looking at spending up to $2000 on a system. I am interested at present in the Rega Brio and the Richter Merlin or Mentor V's. 

I an wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially the Richter's? It is harder to find information on these though they got fantastic sound+image/AV Hub reviews. 

I'm also wondering if this combination would sound significantly better than a $1000 system with a different combination of amp and speaker (say Monitor Audio Bronze 2s and a D 3020 for example). 

Thanks very much for your help. 

Edited by Vogon Poet

I have the Merlin Richter V's. Not the most neutral of speakers and for my taste they went a little overboard striving for a little more bass than necessary.  Producing not so much a bass hump but some overhang, lugubrious shall we say. That said Brad Serhan and the Richter team have done a remarkable job. The treble and mid-range integration is wonderful without that irritating sparkle and "airiness" that is de rigueur these days and has tended to get on my nerves as time goes by. All of that good stuff in the middle is exceptionally well done.  Nice cabinets, nice presentation I have the jarrah version.

I was so impressed with Serhan's capabilities that I hunted down a pair of the Axis Voicebox speakers he co-designed with John Reilly that I was able to get hold of at a Christian price being ex demo, and I finally found what I have been looking for, for quite some time. 

For the price at which you can get the RIchter's of late, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them they are an absolute bargain even at the RRP of $899, they are stack up pretty well, and for the extra dollars on a negotiated price over and above the likes of QAcoustics or Wharfedale Diamonds I think they are a special.

I listen primarily to Classical and Jazz music, nevertheless I have a wide range of musical interest and the Merlin's never faltered.

1 hour ago, mikey d said:

You get a lot of amp in the little Rega Brio. A good all rounder.

My only concern with it is that I can't stream to it in anyway. I would like to set the sytsem up so that I could stream to it and also would like to have my Desktop connected to it. However, it seems like it probably has the leading sound quality for the price. 

Edited by Vogon Poet

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

I have the Merlin Richter V's. Not the most neutral of speakers and for my taste they went a little overboard striving for a little more bass than necessary.  Producing not so much a bass hump but some overhang, lugubrious shall we say. That said Brad Serhan and the Richter team have done a remarkable job. The treble and mid-range integration is wonderful without that irritating sparkle and "airiness" that is de rigueur these days and has tended to get on my nerves as time goes by. All of that good stuff in the middle is exceptionally well done.  Nice cabinets, nice presentation I have the jarrah version.

I was so impressed with Serhan's capabilities that I hunted down a pair of the Axis Voicebox speakers he co-designed with John Reilly that I was able to get hold of at a Christian price being ex demo, and I finally found what I have been looking for, for quite some time. 

For the price at which you can get the RIchter's of late, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them they are an absolute bargain even at the RRP of $899, they are stack up pretty well, and for the extra dollars on a negotiated price over and above the likes of QAcoustics or Wharfedale Diamonds I think they are a special.

I listen primarily to Classical and Jazz music, nevertheless I have a wide range of musical interest and the Merlin's never faltered.

That's interesting to hear that they aren't really a "balanced" speaker but a little bass heavy?

Hi,

Streaming is not a problem, the easiest way is to connect amp by RCA to DAC and than to PC by USB. As far as I know only Yamaha has 2 channel amp/receiver. I would also consider buying floor standing speakers. 

15 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi,

Streaming is not a problem, the easiest way is to connect amp by RCA to DAC and than to PC by USB. As far as I know only Yamaha has 2 channel amp/receiver. I would also consider buying floor standing speakers. 

Thanks for your help! So that helps re connecting PC but is there any way to stream from a phone or laptop?

53 minutes ago, Irek said:

Yes, many options on DAC/streamer section. I think they suggested to start with Google audio wifi dongle + Topping D10 DAC. 

Cool! Thanks. Why would you want the Google dongle plugged into the Topping D10 DAC instead of directly into the Rega Brio?

58 minutes ago, Irek said:

It was just an example, basically the digital signal needs to be converted somewhere to analog before being sent to speakers. 

So the Rega Brio doesn't include it's own DAC and I would need an external one? Apologies for my confusion. 

Edited by Vogon Poet

49 minutes ago, Vogon Poet said:

So the Rega Brio doesn't include it's own DAC and I would need an external one? Apologies for my confusion. 

Exactly. I wouldn't discount a Cambridge either

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/hi-fi-stereo/amplifiers-receivers/stereo-integrated-amplifiers/cambridge-audio-cxa60-black.html

I ran my Richter Wizard Mk1's with a CA740A for years and they are a great match. Another Great match for Richter is Yamaha ;)

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/hi-fi-stereo/amplifiers-receivers/stereo-integrated-amplifiers/yamaha-as701-black.html

Oh I have no affiliation with Audiotrends either. I 

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Exactly. I wouldn't discount a Cambridge either

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/hi-fi-stereo/amplifiers-receivers/stereo-integrated-amplifiers/cambridge-audio-cxa60-black.html

I ran my Richter Wizard Mk1's with a CA740A for years and they are a great match. Another Great match for Richter is Yamaha ;)

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/hi-fi-stereo/amplifiers-receivers/stereo-integrated-amplifiers/yamaha-as701-black.html

I guess there is an advantage to a modular approach as opposed to an all in one box like those though?

7 minutes ago, Irek said:

Generally speaking Rega is considered to be warm/analog sounding , Yamaha is considered to be natural, punchy.  

Ah thanks! Would the Rega keep that warm/analogue sound if you added a DAC to stream to it?

9 minutes ago, Irek said:

Generally speaking Rega is considered to be warm/analog sounding , Yamaha is considered to be natural, punchy.  

Given that we are posting about amplifiers, the term analogue sounding is somewhat mis directed, unless it is a digital amplifier ,which the brio is not.

The Brio is more warm and smooth sounding than the other amps in the Rega lineup, which are anything but.  They tend to be lean,clean and agile but require careful speaker/system matching

I think you might confuse yourself too much. I would focus on speakers and amplifier first, preferable choose 2 amps and try some auditioning. Once you sort out speakers and amp feel free to make another post in DAC/streamers section.  

• Like 2

You've mentioned two compact amps (Brio and NAD D3020) - is size and "neatness" also part of your consideration? You might then also want to consider powered speakers, and do away with the separate amp altogether. Triangle and Dynaudio both do excellent passive speakers, and also active speakers in the sub-$2000 range (eg, the Dynaudio X14A).

This is not to discount the Richter / Brio combo - it may still be the winner. 

Overall, I agree with @Irekaudition and make sure you like what you hear, everyone's ears are different. I'd likewise focus on speakers first, then amp, then source as sound quality tends to be affected most by the speakers. 

• Like 1

it may raise a few eye brows but if you are wanting out of the box digital plus and streaming there's the Onkyo 8270 which is super packed with features and builds upon the 8150 which was regarded well for its class. similar to the yamaha:  politely neutral with fun punchy rhythm 

could be worth a listen if only to understand the feature vs SQ trade-offs

https://www.rio.com.au/product/onkyo-tx-8270-stereo-2-1-amplifier-with-hdmi/

https://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/tx-8150/review

• 2 weeks later...

I consider Richter speakers to be the best for the price. They're quite warm and have as much detail as you'll get for that money.

I compared the Richter's with the MA Bronzes and the latest Q Acoustics in the workshop recently as I was interested in hearing the differences. The Bronzes weren't even a comparison, they lacked bass and any warmth. The Q's were extremely muddy and lacking detail. I would never buy the Q's or Bronzes over Richter's, even if I was trying to save money.

I've never heard any Regas but I've only hear good things about them. I can advise against  modern Yamahas though. They sound completely dull and seem to have no balls even though they can boast quite high power ratings.

I personally would be looking at Rotel and Cambridge Audio for an amp.

On 03/08/2018 at 11:12 AM, Irek said:

Yes, many options on DAC/streamer section. I think they suggested to start with Google audio wifi dongle + Topping D10 DAC. 

I've never used a separate DAC. How does it connect to the Chromecast?