CD player/ Transport under 5k

Hi all

I have realised no streaming services sound as good CD play back.

My set up consists of devialet pro with B&W CM10s2 to date I have tried the following players.

-Ps audio PWT : found it to be very laid back with no get up and go.

-Naim CD5XS: Does every thing so well...I ended up dissecting the performance because it allowed me to. I was not able to get lost in the music. I think this would be a great player in the right set up and sounds much better through the rca output. Too forward sounding for my liking.

-Rega Saturn R: Very musical,engaging,smooth and unforced sound....best of all goosebumps!!!!

I don’t want to be left wondering . The last on the list is Marantz SA-14s1, I’m not sure how this will compare to the Rega.BTW I have ruled out the Cyrus players due to reliability issues

I would really appreciate feed back on the Marantz SA-14s1 or any players up to 5k that really standout.

You may want to consider the Audia Flight brand for CD playback.

There was an AF Three CD player advertised here recently that has many very positive reviews and was very well priced. It is a very dynamic, tonally rich and very detailed player, with a huge sound stage and presence.

Unison Research CDE with upgraded DAC & Vincent CD-S8.

Both are beautifully involving CD Players, both are superbly resolving with great dimensionality, no digital fatigue, harshness whatsoever, The Unison Research favours a touch more refinement and pin-point imaging while the Vincent is a smidgen more dynamic and a real toe-tapper.

Of the Players you mentioned only have experience with a Rega Saturn, (not the R), both the UR & Vincent easily bested it.

Unison Research CDE with upgraded DAC & Vincent CD-S8.

Both are beautifully involving CD Players, both are superbly resolving with great dimensionality, no digital fatigue, harshness whatsoever, The Unison Research favours a touch more refinement and pin-point imaging while the Vincent is a smidgen more dynamic and a real toe-tapper.

Of the Players you mentioned only have experience with a Rega Saturn, (not the R), both the UR & Vincent easily bested it.

All sources connected to the devialet are processed internally through the on board dac. I wonder if the these players loose any sonic magic. In your experience would you be able to comment on using digital out on these players?

Thanks

1 minute ago, audio7 said:

All sources connected to the devialet are processed internally through the on board dac. I wonder if the these players loose any sonic magic. In your experience would you be able to comment on using digital out on these players?

Thanks

Sorry I can't, as they are such good standalone Players, I havn't used digital out.

I recently listened to the current Rega Saturn and the Marantz SA-14S1 into a pair of PMC twenty5.22's. The amp used was an Electra HD Reference and preamp Densen B200+. 

The Rega was kind of underwhelming in its presentation, not clear and sweet sounding as the Marantz. It felt closed in, where the Marantz was the opposite. Musical passages were totally fleshed out with the Marantz, it felt more cohesive, but is 5k.

I have the newly Pioneer PD70AE SACD, its  performance is tremendous with my Twenty5.22's and is in line with the SA-14S1, very close. Both these players are head and shoulders ahead of the rest mentioned, I strongly reccomend an audition, plus the build quality is exceptional.

cheers,    Frank.

• Like 1

Guest deanB

I've pondered what I would do when my Naim Cd5x bites the big one. Rebuild it?

Or maybe this- http://www.doge.audio/products/tube-dac/doge-7-tube-dac/.

With this-http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/cyruscdxtsig.html

That would just about squeeze into a $5k budget (that would be about my budget too).

Both pieces have their own special thing happening. Cyrus have developed their own precision transport, the power supplies are that refined it's one of the only Cyrus pieces that doesn't have a upgrade socket for a psx-r outboard power supply. The one caveat with the Cyrus is that your cd's may need to be in vg/excellent condition or they may not play reliably.

And the Doge has a proper valve analog output ala Lampizator and Audio Note dacs. And I do love me some valves. I don't speak dacanese but there is all kinds of acronyms hanging off the Doge 7. 

Anyway, just about every suggestion on the thread so far is a good one. We've never been as spoilt for quality cd playback devices yet apparently compact discs are dead.

Oh, woe is us.

• 1 month later...

@audio7 have you found one yet?

Have you tried the Naim CD5 XS with a Flatcap XS? It improves the transparency and also smooths it a bit. However the tonal balance remains as is.

I own the CD5 XS as well as the Cyrus CD XT Signature and love both, but if I was looking for an alternative, the best one I have heard in the same price band is the Roksan Caspian M2. This player has similar detail levels as the CD5 XS (without the flatcap), but a much smoother, richer tonal balance.

Couple of other worthy candidates to consider that haven't been mentioned yet;

i) Belt-driven transport by CEC eg TL1, TL-51xx etc (the ones that come with a puc)

ii) Meridian G-series transports eg G98, G96 etc (was a G98 in the classifieds recently) 

• Like 1

I may be biased (as I have one) but the Marantz SA11S2 is a phenomenal transport (better than the SA11S3 in my opinion), and no DAC I've paired it with has bettered it as a standalone player of CDs or SACDs. I've owned, trialled or listened to many comparably priced disc spinners, including some mentioned in this thread, and you have to go beyond $10K to beat it I reckon.

You'd be outlaying less than half your budget to pick one of these up. 

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1