Kenwood KA-9150 restoration

G'day fellas!

So I have had this integrated with me for a fairly lengthy period!

I recall using it with some JBLl100's some years ago and I remember one evening the left channel from memory just stopped, no weird noises, crackles or pops etc.. it just went mute.

Anyways, I have just pulled it out of the cupboard in which it has sat for the last few years and thought it deserves a bit of a birthday!

My questions are, who is the right man for the job, and secondly what do we think these are these worth on the current market?

I would imagine being as rare as it is, that spending some money on it would surely be worth the exercise!? 

I remember hearing that the TA-100WA are near impossible to get, is there a way to test to see if the output stage has gone?

Fellas, any info that could point me in the right direction would be fantastic!

I used to use Dallas Clarke here in Melb some time ago, however I know how busy he is and that I wouldn't be likely seeing it back any time soon!

Cheers,

IMG_20180728_154838.jpg

IMG_20180728_153244.jpg

MVIMG_20180728_153220.jpg

IMG_20180728_153200.jpg

MVIMG_20180728_153207.jpg

IMG_20180728_153156.jpg

IMG_20180728_153545.jpg

Edited by b@ndicoot
  • Like 1

Beautiful looking amp. I think that the 9100 has some sort of amp module in them that are now not available. Hopefully there isn’t an issue with this and is a simple fix. Sorry I can’t help with recommending a repairer. 

I hope you can get it up and running again.

cheers Dave 

2 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Beautiful looking amp. I think that the 9100 has some sort of amp module in them that are now not available. Hopefully there isn’t an issue with this and is a simple fix. Sorry I can’t help with recommending a repairer. 

I hope you can get it up and running again.

cheers Dave 

Hey Dave, yeah they're identical mate.. that output module I was talking about..

We shall see eh!

Cheers

Just now, MovingAhead said:

Why not use the separate normal switch on the rear of the unit to test which end has the problem? 

Hmm.. think I'd prefer to have it rebuilt, particularly if there is a risk of possibly damaging it further..

1 minute ago, MovingAhead said:

If the fuse didn't pop the first time you've nothing to lose. Probably a dirty contact. 

I guess this is true! However looking at a post about these particular amps there can be a multitude of issues involving the many tiny caps in the audio circuit.. 

Very nice vintage piece, and quite rare I think. Real late 70's high-end heavy weight Japanese integrated by Trio. This amp would have typically been going up against amps such as the Rotel RA-1412, Yamaha CA-1010, Sansui AU-10000 etc...Certainly get it going again, too good to be sitting in the cupboard....  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem with my 9150. Except it was my right channel. Brought it to Audiotronics. I'm so glad I did. Good professional cleaning , changed 2 bulbs and it works like the day I bought it , back in 1978. 

I have a Yamaha rv-x1 that cost me $1700 that can;t compare. Good luck a 9150 in excellent shape is worth some $$$$$

Audiotronics Melbourne, Fl. 321-242-0450

Edited by vintage greg

On 28/07/2018 at 5:09 PM, b@ndicoot said:

G'day fellas!

So I have had this integrated with me for a fairly lengthy period!

I recall using it with some JBLl100's some years ago and I remember one evening the left channel from memory just stopped, no weird noises, crackles or pops etc.. it just went mute.

Anyways, I have just pulled it out of the cupboard in which it has sat for the last few years and thought it deserves a bit of a birthday!

My questions are, who is the right man for the job, and secondly what do we think these are these worth on the current market?

I would imagine being as rare as it is, that spending some money on it would surely be worth the exercise!? 

Depends. If one of the output ICs is toast, then probably not.

I remember hearing that the TA-100WA are near impossible to get, is there a way to test to see if the output stage has gone?

Yep. You will need to put some test equipment directly on the output of the IC and measure. And yes, those ICs are impossible to obtain. 

Fellas, any info that could point me in the right direction would be fantastic!

I used to use Dallas Clarke here in Melb some time ago, however I know how busy he is and that I wouldn't be likely seeing it back any time soon!

Cheers,

Good luck, but don't get your hopes up. Designers who used those ICs should be lined up against the wall. It's just lazy, cheap design and you have no chance of obtaining spare parts (in many cases) 20 years down the line. OTOH, I can still maintain my 1969 vintage Marantz Model 18 in almost perfect operational order (except for the CRO), because the parts used have modern equivalents and, in some cases, those parts are still being made. I advise people to avoid buying those old amps where IC output stages were used (they're not used any longer).

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1