Ryuichi Sakamoto Fri 19 Oct 2018 Hamer Hall

Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto

https://www.festival.melbourne/2018/events/alva-noto-and-ryuichi-sakamoto/#.W1qbgX6_OqA

<From 70s synth-pop pioneer with Yellow Magic Orchestra to experimental minimalist to lauded film composer, Ryuichi Sakamoto has never been content keeping still.

A partial list of collaborators proves the expanses Sakamoto’s music roams: BrianWilson, Iggy Pop, Youssou N’Dour and David Sylvian are just a few. Sakamoto’s most recent and enduring musical partner has been German glitch maestro Alva Noto. In the early days of this century what began as a swapping of files has ultimately led to raved-about albums, an exquisite soundtrack to the film The Revenant and a series of unmissable live events.

On the heels of the recent live improvised album Glass, witness these two distinct minds in communion once more.>

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/alva-noto-ryuichi-sakamoto-glass/

• Like 2

I love Ryuichi Sakamotos earlier film scores for movies like 'The Sheltering Sky', 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' and others.

Is it just me or is this music (if its representative of his current offering) really boring?

It's like Nils Frahm who i think is amazing but an elevator department store music version.

LPG

doco on Ryuichi Sakamoto screening in Aug at MIFF

two sessions first sold out, second selling fast, see site for dates and times

http://miff.com.au/program/film/ryuichi-sakamoto-coda

<"Gracefully moving … Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda is an extremely fitting portrait of the influential composer." – Vulture

Ryuichi Sakamoto found fame in 1978 with pioneering electronic music group Yellow Magic Orchestra; his solo song Riot in Lagos helped give birth to electro and hip-hop. He’s since worked in genres spanning electronic, classical and world music, collaborating with artists as diverse as Iggy Pop, Youssou N’Dour, David Byrne and Cyndi Lauper. He’s also an Oscar-winning film composer (for 1987’s The Last Emperor; with scores for The Revenant and MIFF 2017’s Audience Award winner Call Me by Your Name also under his belt). He has even composed Nokia ringtones.

But as Stephen Nomura Schible’s documentary reveals, two crises profoundly changed Sakamoto’s world. In 2011 the Fukushima nuclear power plant melted down, provoking Sakamoto to become a vocal anti-nuclear campaigner. And in 2014, he was diagnosed with throat cancer. "I want to make more music," he said – and as Sakamoto seeks to capture his radically changing world in his 2017 album async, Nomura Schible fluidly matches each moment, each sound.

This is a poetic, contemplative film, suffused with nature’s quiet beauty alongside live performances, interviews and clips from films he’s scored. Sound is the clay of life, from which Sakamoto sculpts extraordinary things. >

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 5:03 PM, Lansche plasma guy said:

I love Ryuichi Sakamotos earlier film scores for movies like 'The Sheltering Sky', 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' and others.

Is it just me or is this music (if its representative of his current offering) really boring?

It's like Nils Frahm who i think is amazing but an elevator department store music version.

LPG

I reckon it's Ryuichi and Alva in a more abstract ambient dare I say contemplative mode improvising off each other.

regards Ian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 15/10/2018 at 10:19 PM, wikeeboy said:

Anyone with a spare ticket for Friday night at Hamer Hall? Anywhere i should look online or is it too dodgy these days with all the fake tickets around?

I only need one for myself, please please please!!!

Did you get a ticket, wb?

Hopefully not ... so you didn't waste your hard-earned.

I just got back from the concert - without a doubt, the most boring concert/theatre piece I have ever been to!  :(

Next year, hopefully the Melb Festival Director will bring out someone exciting - like, say, Jean-Michel Jarre!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, andyr said:

I just got back from the concert - without a doubt, the most boring concert/theatre piece I have ever been to!  :(

Next year, hopefully the Melb Festival Director will bring out someone exciting - like, say, Jean-Michel Jarre!  :lol:

Andy

Really? Appreciate you letting me know. I don't have FOMO now :)

After the amazing show i saw last Saturday at Hamer Hall (Nils Frahm) glad i didn't lower my mood by going to tonight's show.

I've got Olafur Arnalds coming up in a few weeks, hopefully that will be a good one.

I had a ticket and completely forgot about it. So used to have etickets these days and those friendly reminders. My mind is still in Nils Frahm land :) but yeah feeling a little bit better about it now after seeing Andy's post. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, andyr said:

Andy

Sadly I have to agree with you Andy ?

I took my wife to this and knew it was a bit of a gamble but the house certainly won this time! The only consolation for the evening was that we ate at her favorite restaurant (Red Spice Road) before the show.

Cheers, Renton.

34 minutes ago, rentonc said:

Sadly I have to agree with you Andy ?

I took my wife to this and knew it was a bit of a gamble but the house certainly won this time! The only consolation for the evening was that we ate at her favorite restaurant (Red Spice Road) before the show.

Cheers, Renton.

Aah, so I'm not on my own, Renton!  :thumb:

Sad for you - quite a trip up from Geelong.  :(

So where's 'Red Spice Road' located?  Don't know it.  We ate at 'Fatto' - which is in the Hamer Hall complex, top level facing the river.  Recommended - both food & service-wise!  :)

Andy

I wish I'd seen it, having seen them last time around (3 years ago maybe?)

This review has a nice line it that may be relevant:

"...two hours that demanded something many members of the audience weren’t willing or able to give: abandonment to the flow of it all. "

I have been in that position on Monday night, we saw Leon Vynehall. Now that was dull as **** in a bucket.

On 27/07/2018 at 5:27 PM, Ian McP said:

doco on Ryuichi Sakamoto screening in Aug at MIFF

two sessions first sold out, second selling fast, see site for dates and times

http://miff.com.au/program/film/ryuichi-sakamoto-coda

<"Gracefully moving … Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda is an extremely fitting portrait of the influential composer." – Vulture

Ryuichi Sakamoto found fame in 1978 with pioneering electronic music group Yellow Magic Orchestra; his solo song Riot in Lagos helped give birth to electro and hip-hop. He’s since worked in genres spanning electronic, classical and world music, collaborating with artists as diverse as Iggy Pop, Youssou N’Dour, David Byrne and Cyndi Lauper. He’s also an Oscar-winning film composer (for 1987’s The Last Emperor; with scores for The Revenant and MIFF 2017’s Audience Award winner Call Me by Your Name also under his belt). He has even composed Nokia ringtones.

But as Stephen Nomura Schible’s documentary reveals, two crises profoundly changed Sakamoto’s world. In 2011 the Fukushima nuclear power plant melted down, provoking Sakamoto to become a vocal anti-nuclear campaigner. And in 2014, he was diagnosed with throat cancer. "I want to make more music," he said – and as Sakamoto seeks to capture his radically changing world in his 2017 album async, Nomura Schible fluidly matches each moment, each sound.

This is a poetic, contemplative film, suffused with nature’s quiet beauty alongside live performances, interviews and clips from films he’s scored. Sound is the clay of life, from which Sakamoto sculpts extraordinary things. >

It's getting a season at ACMI

https://www.acmi.net.au/events/ryuichi-sakamoto-coda/

< 27 Dec 2018 - 16 Jan 2019 >

highly recommended!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, andyr said:

Aah, so I'm not on my own, Renton!  :thumb:

Sad for you - quite a trip up from Geelong.  :(

So where's 'Red Spice Road' located?  Don't know it.  We ate at 'Fatto' - which is in the Hamer Hall complex, top level facing the river.  Recommended - both food & service-wise!  :)

Andy

'Red Spice Road' is in McKillop Street, just near the corner of Bourke and Queen Streets in the city. The pork belly there is pretty famous and we keep going back ?

The trip from Geelong is pretty normal for me actually. I work in the CBD so I do it every day, not so for my wife thoug

So the atmosphere at Hamer Hall was quite interesting that night. The crowd reacted pretty well to everything, but we just weren't drinking the Koolaid. I was relieved to read your comments on the show because I felt that we were the only ones struggling to appreciate the performance.

Cheers, Renton.