1 hour ago, poppybob said:

Thanks. I thought there would be something. Pretty upset I didn’t see the sale of new jvc

In particular the x7900

You mean this sale - I thought it was still running. Have you checked with Rich?

Anyone have suggestions, the dealer is saying I will have a better result with fibre optic cable instead of my 18 gb hdmi cable?

What make/model is your cable? How long? Ruipro fibre optic cables are definitely the best option if over 10m.

Not sure of make optic fibre he is offering but it cost about $400.00 for 10 meters. He is saying I need 12 meters? Which I don’t understand he installed my x500 jvc and is also saying anything over 10 meters should be optic, unsure why he didn’t recommend with older pj unless the fibre optic wasn’t an option 3 years ago??

12 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Not sure of make optic fibre he is offering but it cost about $400.00 for 10 meters. He is saying I need 12 meters? Which I don’t understand he installed my x500 jvc and is also saying anything over 10 meters should be optic, unsure why he didn’t recommend with older pj unless the fibre optic wasn’t an option 3 years ago??

it wasnt an option few years ago. fibre does cost quite a bit.

if can keep it to 10m you can use the comsol 4k cable and it will work

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

if have no choice and need 12m then there is only one choice and that is fibre in the ruipro. he is right over 10m eg 11 or 12m you need fibre.

dont be convinced in buying anything else in audio quest or anything.

5 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Who would have thought Officeworks. Audioquest years ago had reasonable cables. Thanks for the tip. 

it just works. have pumped gazzilion uhd discs through, used it with 4k apple TV, xbox one x passed full bandwidth hdmi. works. I dont see sense to spend more. if going over 10m though 11 or 12 + theres no choice but fibre.

can you relocate your gear so closer to the projector ? 

many people put rack up back these days and that helps things length to projectors can be short and inconsequence then what you use cable wise. 

It would probably cost more to relocate shelving. Have the cave pretty well laid out and is wife friendly also. Trying not to make to much of a fuss, haven’t told her about the x500 being changed over for the x9900. Didn’t think it was worth the pain lucky jvc haven’t changed the looks on the outside. Ha ha.

• Like 1

While Audioquest is a good brand, if you've already bought it I'd be testing it before it's installed (use Billy Lyn's long half time walk as it's filmed @60Hz not the usual 24Hz). See the test here (link opens a PDF file) for an idea of how many cables fail to pass 18 Gig.

One other point, most of these high bandwidth cables are active and are directional - one end for the source (or receiver if you're going via that for video) and the other for the display.

37 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Thank you for info. 

you'll note that some 2 year old testing of the audio quest forest while passes all tests on 5-8m fails at 10m with the old sammy uhd splash screen and youtube doing 4k 60

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin-page-2

• Like 1

Funny the whole hdmi cable thing as I'm running my old HDMI 1.3b cables for 4K, from all devices - pana 9004K player, media player, ps4 etc, then from onkyo RZ3100 to PJ's (X7900 JVC, Sony 760, Epson TW9300) a 5 metre, everything works fine including HDR. I guess the 60hz film won't work? but I've never come across that show. I'll end up grabbing a 5 metre ruipro from Keith though.

I don’t stream or do the tv thing ( can’t stand the bars on the side of screen or moving my anamorphic lens around ) would I be better off to go straight to OPPO UD player with the optic cable instead of my Anthem M60 preamp?

43 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Funny the whole hdmi cable thing as I'm running my old HDMI 1.3b cables for 4K, from all devices - pana 9004K player, media player, ps4 etc, then from onkyo RZ3100 to PJ's (X7900 JVC, Sony 760, Epson TW9300) a 5 metre, everything works fine including HDR. I guess the 60hz film won't work? but I've never come across that show. I'll end up grabbing a 5 metre ruipro from Keith though.

5m is THE key. also the pana 900 unless selecting 4k 50/60 wont push bandwidth. the ps4 isnt really pushing things to limit either id suggest.

if you follow the link to test will see even the audio quest does work for 5-8m. similarly even the 10m does for uhd. but you will find anything pushing bandwidth for hdmi will fall over likely for even for the 5m. examples being oppo main menu. same goes youtube, 4k apple tv, xbox one x and such.

problems are definitely there at 6-10m mark. heck even 2-6m given cost now id get a premium certified cable rather than much around.

upto 10m old school heavy gauge hdmi can work. you just have to find them. the comsol 4k uhd 10m cable is one such example.

6 minutes ago, poppybob said:

I don’t stream or do the tv thing ( can’t stand the bars on the side of screen or moving my anamorphic lens around ) would I be better off to go straight to OPPO UD player with the optic cable instead of my Anthem M60 preamp?

will find the oppo menu in itself a barrier. for example i was using an active cable like the audio quest forest worked fine for uhds. wouldnt work for 4k 50/60 uhd material and the oppo main menu wouldnt display. other players eg the pana and sammy with menu that isnt pushing full bandwidth would work.

passing optical cable to your anthem will mean you will miss out on the audio aspect of blu-ray and uhd blu-ray as will limit yourself to lossy DD or DTS and not be able to experience lossless hd audio that is only passed over hdmi.

Apologies I’m a bit confused. Your saying if I pass it through to the Anthem I will miss hi res formats? 

oh i see, I thought you meant hdmi direct oppo and optical only to the anthem. which would miss out on anthem and hi res yes.

but if just planning fibre oppo to projector then are you planning to do audio hdmi out to the anthem. keep in mind this means is usually fraught with potential lip synch issues due to dual signals. the beauty of one hdmi is audio and video stays in synch.