PS audio stellar M700 or Parasound A 21?

Hi guys I have a dynaudio excite x44.For now im using anthem mca 525 to drive these speakers.

Soon I will be in the market searching for power amplifier.Im contemplating between Ps audio stellar M700s or the parasound A 21.These are my preference due to budget.

Can you help me decide which is best for my speakers.Thank youze all.

Hullo JJ,

the A21 can be had very cheaply here 2nd hand, or maybe put a WTB out there if none currently available?

The A21 does everything very well, all lows and highs of the music and would give a very clean sound with the Dynaudio's. It was my first respectable;e amp I purchased when I got into this ridiculous game and replaced it with a pair of JC1's which I still have and love, apart from the occasional urge to try something else for the hell of it. They are still at my place and I doubt I could part with them for the ridiculous money you get for them now.

You can team the P5 pre with the A21 and they go really well together with the P5 having a huge amount of flexibility and a very respectable dac as well.

I have not heard the PS Audio amps, sorry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jomjom said:

between Ps audio stellar M700s or the parasound A 21.

I concur with @Darren69, out of the two range from Paraound, I would pick their Halo series. Even though I have not listened their Stellar series I've heard the A21 drive a pair of Contour 5.4 quire well. What pre are you Intending to pair the Paraound power with?

SMB

• Like 1

For now I am using anthem avm 60.
And if I’m going to get a parasound amp I will also get their matching pre amp.
And if I decided to go with stellar ps audio m700 I will be matching it with their ps audio stellar gain cell dac.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jomjom said:

For now I am using anthem avm 60.
And if I’m going to get a parasound amp I will also get their matching pre amp.
And if I decided to go with stellar ps audio m700 I will be matching it with their ps audio stellar gain cell dac.

See if you can get a listen somewhere as they do have different sounds, Parasound vs PS Audio I mean. Are you in the big smoke or the country? If you are in Sydney you would be mad not to take a day and just travel to a few stores and have a bit of a listen. Not ideal listening in shops but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

Metro west.I already have rung a few shops and ask if I can loan it for a week or so.
The exciting part is somewhere between the search there could be a wild card that could come out .And that could be a musical fidelity or a anthem str power amp or who knows.
Anyhow I’m in no hurry to get these amps.
They sound great now already.
But I’m sure they can get better.

12 minutes ago, jomjom said:

The exciting part is somewhere between the search there could be a wild card that could come out .And that could be a musical fidelity or a anthem str power amp or who knows.

Here is link to another thread, again OP looking to pair up his Dyns. 

Eventhough they are integrated, these brand should play well with Dyns.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jomjom said:

Metro west.I already have rung a few shops and ask if I can loan it for a week or so.
They sound great now already.
But I’m sure they can get better.

OK, you're in a good place then, still enjoying it eh? Not looking at the ceiling at night just yet eh? Oh well, give it time. :D

I say this due to your thoughts of 'I'm sure they can get better'...uh oh. :D 

Good point @Sirmorebeer , maybe the Parasound integrated would do the trick as well and you might get it cheap[er now a newer version is out, the strangely named 'hint 6'.

The previous version-

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/parasound-halo-integrated-amplifier/

Only 150W into 8 ohms vs 250 from the A21 though. I have found more power always works better and at any volume level, it isn't about blowing your freaking head off. Well, most of the time. :D 

You probably already have seen this info-  http://www.parasound.com/products.php

I have always found MF to sound a bit too clinical for me but you/your speakers might go great with it, who knows.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Do parasound have a good reliability?
Only I ask because the shop were i buy my stuff from used to stock parasound.And said due to reliability issues they don’t keep them anymore.

When I purchased mine, one of the amps had gone pop, Rage Audio repaired and they have been good ever since. Trevor at Rage had good things to say about the design and that all of the internals are high quality components. Anything can have issues, a new car, a new house, a stereo component. But it's how a manufacturer supports you that counts and even though (to my knowledge) Trevor isn't an 'authorised Parasound repairer' and the amps were well and truly out of warranty, they did their best to help him repair my amp, so there you go. Have had no issues since (gong on five years) and I don't baby them.

I can say from experience that Parasound make excellent products and give excellent follow up support when needed. I doubt it would ever be needed.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jomjom said:

Do parasound have a good reliability?
Only I ask because the shop were i buy my stuff from used to stock parasound.And said due to reliability issues they don’t keep them anymore.

There are inherent risks new or used gear. LIke @Darren69 said, it is the after sales support that counts at the end of the day. My mate own some Parasound gear wanted some upgrade advise, he posted a support email to em'. Guess who answered his queries? Richard Schram - the CEO himself and the responses were quick too. 

• Like 2

When I purchased mine, one of the amps had gone pop, Rage Audio repaired and they have been good ever since. Trevor at Rage had good things to say about the design and that all of the internals are high quality components. Anything can have issues, a new car, a new house, a stereo component. But it's how a manufacturer supports you that counts and even though (to my knowledge) Trevor isn't an 'authorised Parasound repairer' and the amps were well and truly out of warranty, they did their best to help him repair my amp, so there you go. Have had no issues since (gong on five years) and I don't baby them.

I can say from experience that Parasound make excellent products and give excellent follow up support when needed. I doubt it would ever be needed.

[emoji106]

There are inherent risks new or used gear. LIke [mention=140952]Darren69[/mention] said, it is the after sales support that counts at the end of the day. My mate own some Parasound gear wanted some upgrade advise, he posted a support email to em'. Guess who answered his queries? Richard Schram - the CEO himself and the responses were quick too. 

[emoji106]