Speaker Repair - Prodex HT90

G'day Folks.

I recently picked these up for free, but I have slight sound coming from the tweeters only.  I have checked all the connections and cleaned them.  I have never repaired any speakers before and was looking for some advice.

I assume it is a problem with the passive crossover network inside the cabinet, but they are glued in and the details are very hard to see...  They have been stored in a shed for some time. I'm pretty sure they are from the 1970's.

Speaker.JPG.105b914b615d194cab0754792cda4091.JPG

I can only read the following information inside...  4.7mfd - 50wv

1836998559_Crossovernetwork.JPG.174485a1bcb43297cb927604332731ea.JPG

Here is the information on the outside labels...

209140081_Powerrating.JPG.jpg.d1260adc54d97ccc096b596e69a1a962.jpg

559306531_Octaveanalysis.JPG.83703c01b38079a9be52de32bd739c45.JPG

At first I plan to replace the crossover network parts.  Would anyone have any advice for where to start if I am incorrect?  How do I locate the issue?

Thankyou, Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

The Prodex brand was the Brash's home brand. For the money they weren't too bad though they weren't by any stretch of the imagination better than not too bad. These probably date from the late '80's or early '90's. There are probably a bunch of technicians who did warranty work for Brash's back in the day who would have a bit of a clue about them, all that you have to do is find them.

• Like 1

First I would remove and disconnect the drivers and then measure the voice coil resistances. They may have been connected to an amp that failed and some voice coils may be open circuit. Check all connections as well.

• Like 1

@BuzzzFuzzz - if you don't have any luck fixing the speakers yourself there is an excellent guy in Brisbane who does great work and doesn't charge like a wounded bull.  PM me for details if need be.  He repaired and refurbished my 30-year-old speakers - I couldn't be more happy with the outcome.

• Like 1

[mention=259593]BuzzzFuzzz[/mention] - if you don't have any luck fixing the speakers yourself there is an excellent guy in Brisbane who does great work and doesn't charge like a wounded bull.  PM me for details if need be.  He repaired and refurbished my 30-year-old speakers - I couldn't be more happy with the outcome.
Yep. Search Queensland speaker repairs.
  • Like 1