Advice: TT + with phono stage with balanced out

• Volunteer

Need some advice for a friend who is on a pretty frugal budget

He has active speakers which only have an XLR input (not sure of the brand). He wants to connect a TT, so I'm wondering what photo stages are out there that have balanced out.

Alternatively, would a simple RCA to XLR adapter be good enough?

Guest Misterioso

There are plenty of phono stages with balanced output via XLR. He would need to find one with volume control, that's the real problem. PS Audio GCPH comes to mind.

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, Plattenspieler said:

There are plenty of phono stages with balanced output via XLR. He would need to find one with volume control, that's the real problem. PS Audio GCPH comes to mind.

I think he'll control the volume directly in the speakers but I'll need to check.

PS Audio looks great but probably well above his price range unfortunately 

Guest Misterioso

As mentioned, volume control is the key. Adapters don't give you volume control.

GPCH sold here repeatedly around 600-700 if I am not wrong.

Edited by Misterioso

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, Plattenspieler said:

As mentioned, volume control is the key. Adapters don't give you volume control.

GPCH sold here repeatedly around 600-700 if I am not wrong. Nowhere near 1500 (where does this suddenly come from?).

But what do I know.

Yes I've seen a few go at those prices but even $600 will be too much 

55 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

... so I'm wondering what photo stages are out there that have balanced out.

Alternatively, would a simple RCA to XLR adapter be good enough?

Hi Plattenspieler,

Yes, you're right, adapters don't give volume control, but OP refers to speakers as possibly controlling that. 

I was just referring to new retail prices, in general

There's a Project phono with XLR but that's about $1400. I thought the PS Audio retailed for about the same. $600-700 is a good price but above budget. So not many.

And without knowing his exact budget, the majority of frugal budget phonos are RCA only.

Most balanced phonos that I know of are in the thousands, but of course I don't know all the models.

Just thought of another one below $1500. Musical Fidelity MX-Vnyl RRP $1299. Secondhand? But most likely still above budget.

Or its predecessor, the M1ViNL (RRP $1199). I've seen those go for $300-400. Still above budget?

No balanced output options, but if adaptors are usable then something from https://www.phonopreamps.com/

might prove more than satisfactory, depending on what other inputs he might need and whether he wants MM or MC or both, volume control, USB output or additional inputs are all on one model or another.

I have used the TC-754 multi input model and found it to better the builtin stage of the NAD integrated amp I was using at that time.  TNT audio gave them a great wrap some years back now.

Cheap but definitely not nasty and many options available.

• Like 1