Matching Speakers Question

Hi All,

I currently have the B&W MT30 speaker package which consists of 5XM1 satellites and a PV1 Subwoofer which makes it 5.1

I am thinking to replace my front L/R with B&W DM601S3 bookshelves instead. Will this be of any benefit sound wise? Or don't bother? Or would it cost more negatives than positives due to speakers don't match.

Thanks,

K.

In theory the better speakers should make a difference with the larger cabinet and better woofer and tweeter. The fronts should sound bigger, punchier and more detailed.. Give it a try.

30 minutes ago, Al.M said:

In theory the better speakers should make a difference with the larger cabinet and better woofer and tweeter. The fronts should sound bigger, punchier and more detailed.. Give it a try.

ok thanks. Will it cause a problem with mismatch? As my rears and center is M1

Lots of potential mismatch can occur but you should be able to adjust volume from fronts to back. One mismatch can be the better quality of the fronts may show up the others.

Overall you may only get a slight improvement once everything is adjusted. It depends on whether you think any thing is lacking with your current setup.

Many small HT speaker sets use really cheap crappy small 3-4 inch woofers that are probably about $1-5 each at the manufacturing sweatshop. The 601 speaker being worth more might have say $20-30 woofers and tweeters with better cabinet and electronic crossover filter parts so you should be able to play louder with less strain, get much better voices, midrange, harder hitting sounds and detailed treble etc. Also, when you switch the av amp to play just fronts it should be a lot better for pure music with no interefence from sweatshop woofers.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

The speaker position is best with tweeters close to sitting ear height and spaced 2-3m apart to form equal triangle between listener. If this can’t be done angle them up slightly to ears. Play around with positioning and google speaker position instructions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al.M said:

The speaker position is best with tweeters close to sitting ear height and spaced 2-3m apart to form equal triangle between listener. If this can’t be done angle them up slightly to ears. Play around with positioning and google speaker position instructions.

Thx :)